Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Nell Merionwen

Skill Share Meal planning.

Thursday

are we happy to do a chippy tea run again? BA and I are happy to go for it. (I know where the good chippy is)

Friday
Breakfast
american pancakes Arvo To be changed
Lunch
game pate BTL
MYO pizza yourself Wink
Dinner
Lasagne Nell
mild chilli, with a killer side order of onions in chilli-powder to heat it up for non-wusses. Chez
homemade chicken nuggets and tomato sauce Cir3ngirl
a big pan of Cawl, bibbster

Saturday
Breakfast
brioche Chickem
Lunch
quiche Chickem
sweet and sour pork Nell and M-J's cunning plan
Dinner
The big BBQ

Sunday
Breakfast
kedgeree snowball

miscellaneous
Cakes and treats.
Galaxy chunky chocolate cake. Nell
cake... coffee and walnut bibbster
home made chocolate cake courtesy of Cir3ngirl's mum Cir3ngirl
chocolate/coffee marble cake and or a apple and almond cake Chickem
mutant waffles S_in_W
assorted bread S_in_W
homemade chicken liver pate hitchindragon
olive and anchovy bites snowball
Cake GG
a selection of my home made chutneysEV
a big Gingerbread and Lemon Drizzle cake Joanne
local Lancashire cheesejoanne
lots of home made crackers and savoury biscuitsjoanne
flapjack joanne
We need to think about what we want/need and who is bringing what. I'll keep this top post updated with what is on offer so we can all see what is needed and if there are any gaps.

Are we doing pizzas in the oven at some point? How about doing them on Saturday evening along side a few community dishes?

NB, the order of when these things will be served is subject to change at any downsizer's whim Wink

How many fridges are there available, if any?

there is a small one in the party barn kitchen, usually ends up full of milk at this sort of thing, and a slightly larger one with a fridge top and freezer bottom in another outbuilding. Normal 'small kitchen' sized appliances.

Quote:
Can people please make sure they get receipts when buying ingredients so I can reimburse. If anyone wants cash up front to buy stuff just shout.
jamanda

That needs altering a bit

three meals, breakfast, lunch and evening meal for the two days, Friday and Saturday as well as breakfast on Sunday.

is what we are after. Any chip runs will be the Thursday night.
Nell Merionwen

That needs altering a bit

three meals, breakfast, lunch and evening meal for the two days, Friday and Saturday as well as breakfast on Sunday.

is what we are after. Any chip runs will be the Thursday night.

done x
Nell Merionwen

shall we do a big "preprepared meals that people have brought" meal on Friday evening then and pizzas on Saturday eve?

I am happy to bring a couple of big lasagne again.
sean

I'm happy to do cooking. How many people do we have signed up? Do we want a spit-roast or a big barbecue for one of the evenings? Nell Merionwen

I'm happy to do cooking. How many people do we have signed up? Do we want a spit-roast or a big barbecue for one of the evenings?

What a fab idea. The spit roast would have to be cooked much of the day wouldn't it?
jamanda

I think pizzas on saturday night, plus left overs is a good idea.

We need a hot meaty one pot thing and I expect a veggie thing for the Friday night as well as substantial lunches for both days.
Nell Merionwen

how about putting a load of stuff out for lunch on Friday (like the lasagne, maybe a pot of chilli, quiche and so on) People can then help themselves and eat cold or reheat as wished themselves. Then a BBQ Sat/spit roast Sat evening? jamanda

37 adults, 7 medium sized kids, 2 littlies. Nell Merionwen

I think pizzas on saturday night, plus left overs is a good idea.

We need a hot meaty one pot thing and I expect a veggie thing for the Friday night as well as substantial lunches for both days.
I am happy to cook a veggie ratatouille on the Friday (or Saturday)
jamanda

Actually, looking at the list, I'm not sure there are any veggies.

If you are coming and you are veggie you'd better shout!
vegplot

37 adults, 7 medium sized kids, 2 littlies.

Do you think 7 mediums and 2 little ones will be enough to feed 37 adults?
tahir

37 adults, 7 medium sized kids, 2 littlies.

Do you think 7 mediums and 2 little ones will be enough to feed 37 adults?

I think they're planning to bulk them out with chick peas
sean

I've got some pre-soaked ones that I'm planning on bringing. chez

Tahir, are you coming?

I can do a mild chilli, with a killer side order of onions in chilli-powder to heat it up for non-wusses.
cir3ngirl

I'll do homemade chicken nuggets and tomato sauce and ask mum for a chocolate cake

ETA she is also mum to the hitchindragon Rolling Eyes
arvo

Happy to bring and do american pancakes again if people fancy as a brekkie addition.

ETA @Sally-in-Wales: Are you and Gareth bringing your mad griddle thingy again?
bibbster

I could bring a big pan of Cawl, and of course cake... coffee and walnut??

I am getting quite exited about the whole thing wave
jamanda

Oooh, I haven't had cawl in years. Very Happy
bibbster

Oooh, I haven't had cawl in years. Very Happy

I had some on Sunday, and twas so nice I made some for tea today. Nom.
hitchindragon

If there is somewhere local to get fresh bread I can bring some homemade chicken liver pate to go with it. Nell Merionwen

If there is somewhere local to get fresh bread I can bring some homemade chicken liver pate to go with it. there is a wood fuelled bread oven.... jema

I'm left scrambling on what we can bring or cook and I bet others feel the same Wink arvo

I'm left scrambling on what we can bring or cook and I bet others feel the same Wink

See whatcha did there Laughing
Chickem

RW can make brioche for breakfast maybe sat.....I can bring quiche (They seemed to go down well last time Cool ) and a chocolate/coffee marble cake and or a apple and almond cake! cir3ngirl

Tboy is asking about Welsh cakes and would be happy to help make them Rolling Eyes sally_in_wales

Happy to bring and do american pancakes again if people fancy as a brekkie addition.

ETA @Sally-in-Wales: Are you and Gareth bringing your mad griddle thingy again?

Yes, sure thing. We'll also bring the waffling iron for the middle sized kids to make mutant waffles over the campfire at some suitable point. As we have access to the wood fired oven, Gareth has offered to do his 'Gareth-the-Baker' bit and cook assorted bread at some point rather than his usual flat bread stint.

We have an electric soup kettle there which might be useful for one of the pre-prepared chilli type things, or we could put a soup in it if we need an extra option?
snowball

I can bring some olive and anchovy bites.
How about kedgiree sp? I can make that one morning
Liz in Ireland

Wonder what I could bring???? It'll need to go in a rucksack!
More cake? Chutney? - goes with quiche??
I don't have many skills but really want to contribute something.....

s'long as it's not helping with the tag rugby....... Wink
Nell Merionwen

Wonder what I could bring???? It'll need to go in a rucksack!
More cake? Chutney? - goes with quiche??
I don't have many skills but really want to contribute something.....

s'long as it's not helping with the tag rugby....... Wink there is good kitchen we can use if you want to cook something when you get there x sally_in_wales

and there are always washing up stints if anyone is really stuck for ways to help out! Wink sean

Is there a big barbecue there? If not then the whole big barbecue idea falls somewhat flat. Nell Merionwen

Is there a big barbecue there? If not then the whole big barbecue idea falls somewhat flat.

erm... I'm not sure but I think so....
sally_in_wales

There is definately the large trays that we've had coals in to roast meat over before, with some grid things they would be fine as barbeques Liz in Ireland

and there are always washing up stints if anyone is really stuck for ways to help out! Wink

I'll do that, not sure I'm brave enough to cook when I get there in front of you all Embarassed
jamanda

and there are always washing up stints if anyone is really stuck for ways to help out! Wink

I'll do that, not sure I'm brave enough to cook when I get there in front of you all Embarassed

I'm planning on being a scullery maid too. Too many chefs and all that.
Nell Merionwen

It has been decided that the BBQ will be on the Saturday evening. That way if anyone can't make it until the Saturday they won't miss it.
The children will be making burgers at some point, so it will be nice for them to be able to eat their own creations.
Nell Merionwen

I will also be more than happy to cook, wash dishes and be a general dogs body.
Now the big question...Do I bring lots of ingredients to make super rich chocolate ganache as per the recipe I posted?
jamanda

Nell - take a look at how many things you have volunteered for on the workshops front. You need to write in some relaxation time too! jamanda

Bring the ingredients and rota some else to make it Very Happy gardening-girl

BTL says he will do a game pate,and is happy to cook breakfast again on Saturday(if people don`t mind crispy bacon).
I will bring a cake .
Nell Merionwen

Bring the ingredients and rota some else to make it Very Happy

but I will have to show them how Confused

ETA, I will instruct BA and he can do it Cool
jamanda

If people haven't revisted the first post in this thread, it's starting to look rather yummy! Barefoot Andrew

You need to write in some relaxation time too!

Fear not, she's not having my washing up sponge Wink
A.
mochyn

Are there any requests for what I should bring? Nell Merionwen

You need to write in some relaxation time too!

Fear not, she's not having my washing up sponge Wink
A.

does that mean I'm not allowed to help with washing up? or are you just being weird about your washing up sponge again?
arvo

Are there any requests for what I should bring?

The old chap?
Ginkotree

Just to let folk who have not been her before know..
There is a five ringed gas hob in the barn kitchen...but NO oven
Hot water =heated up on camp fire,gas hob or Urn.
We have a large barbeque, open fire with trays and over bar.as sally said.
Bread oven..
Folk often bring thier own cooking stoves/bbq and charcoals
There is a fire circle in the dingle for campfire cooking.marshmallow/sausages onsticks..
If anyone needs to make a fire pit or have a cooking fire elsewhere please ask and we can sort it out.
Sacks of fire wood would be appreciated to contribute to cooking fires , I have enough wood for the oven and One cooking fire put aside.
Nell Merionwen

what do we think of adding in a make your own pizza for lunch on Friday? We could keep any left over pizza for addition to Friday's tea? jema

what do we think of adding in a make your own pizza for lunch on Friday? We could keep any left over pizza for addition to Friday's tea?

Left over Pizza, there is the voice of optimism....
Nell Merionwen

what do we think of adding in a make your own pizza for lunch on Friday? We could keep any left over pizza for addition to Friday's tea?

Left over Pizza, there is the voice of optimism....

Laughing
jamanda

That's a good idea. Also maybe something else to go with Sat lunch? I have brought large quantities of local cheeses, butter etc for the last few skills shares. Is there some where local to buy such things?

We can bring some Bulworthy Project chracoal.

Thanks for reminding us what's there Penny.
Nell Merionwen

That's a good idea. Also maybe something else to go with Sat lunch? I have brought large quantities of local cheeses, butter etc for the last few skills shares. Is there some where local to buy such things?

I'm sure there is somewhere in the town. I'll get on it and find out.
Maybe big bowls of salad would be nice if people have surplus on their plots?
Nell Merionwen

local cheese
jamanda

Looks good. Can you buy direct form the factory? jamanda

Also we need someone to volunteer for drinks - tea, coffee, milk, sugar soft drinks for the children. Nell Merionwen

Looks good. Can you buy direct form the factory?

There is an e-mail. I will contact them shortly and see what they can do. They are only about a ten minute drive from Penny. BA and I will be passing by there on the first weekend of July.
However, I could see if they deliver. How much would we want and what types?
Nell Merionwen

Also we need someone to volunteer for drinks - tea, coffee, milk, sugar soft drinks for the children.
I expect there will be tea, coffee, sugar there. Although I am sure Ginkotree would appreciate a contribution towards replacing any that is used. Perhaps we could have a donation jar next to the urn? If we run out lidl is just down the lane. I will be bringing juice and so on for our kids so bringing a bit extra is no problem.
jamanda

There is an e-mail. I will contact them shortly and see what they can do. They are only about a ten minute drive from Penny. BA and I will be passing by there on the first weekend of July.

Gosh I'm rubbish at amounts if I can't see them. About 5 or 6 lb of chees in total? 3kg ish.
Nell Merionwen

Gosh I'm rubbish at amounts if I can't see them. About 5 or 6 lb of chees in total? 3kg ish.
right, ringing them now....
jamanda

Also we need someone to volunteer for drinks - tea, coffee, milk, sugar soft drinks for the children.
I expect there will be tea, coffee, sugar there. Although I am sure Ginkotree would appreciate a contribution towards replacing any that is used. Perhaps we could have a donation jar next to the urn? If we run out lidl is just down the lane. I will be bringing juice and so on for our kids so bringing a bit extra is no problem.

I'd rather provide it from central funds than have people paying extra.
Nell Merionwen

I'd rather provide it from central funds than have people paying extra.

ok, how about sticking to lidl? We could pop in when we go for chips on Thursday. Lidl is opposite the chippy.
jamanda

Is there a Co-op in the vicinity? sally_in_wales

yep, though I can't quite place it at the moment http://www.storelocate.co.uk/co-op-food/carmarthen.html Nell Merionwen

Is there a Co-op in the vicinity?
one in the town I think. Not much of a trek. King St I think....
Nell Merionwen

yep, though I can't quite place it at the moment http://www.storelocate.co.uk/co-op-food/carmarthen.html

I can. I could still go during the chippy run. It's about two mins from the chip shop.
jamanda

OK - we can send out for supplies on the Friday am then. eta or when on the chippy run.

Sally, will we need to get more bread than you and Gareth are making? It won't be ready for sat lumch anyway will it?
sally_in_wales

probably will need some extra, I would imagine we can do enough for lunch/dinner on whatever day we bake, but we'll want extra for breakfast butties won't we Nell Merionwen

right, ringing them now....

they are calling me back...
looking at about £30 I think. They owners are getting back to me though. I spoke to the daughter.
Nell Merionwen

for the sweet and sour cunning plan I will add fried rice. Is plain egg fried rice ok? Bog standard fried rice with onions, peas and egg. Nell Merionwen

Incidentally. All the bits of cooking I plan to do are quite minor really. It is the world of once you have made these things before you know what you are doing and it takes less time.
The chocolate ganache I am going to instruct BA to make and thought that if anyone wants to hang around while I am cooking I could make it into a little workshop. (that way i get stuff chopped for me and extra pairs of hands)
snowball

Any suggestions for a source of smoked haddock for the kedigree? Nell Merionwen

Any suggestions for a source of smoked haddock for the kedigree?

We could ask our local fish lady and stick it in the freezer?
snowball

Sounds like a plan think nell we dont have a locali disgraziato lady sean

we dont have a locali disgraziato lady

What??? Have you been possessed by demons or something?
snowball

Sorry predictive Text does not like the word fish Nell Merionwen

Sorry predictive Text does not like the word fish Funny bibbster

we dont have a locali disgraziato lady

What??? Have you been possessed by demons or something?

Google translates as 'local unfortunate lady' Question Shocked
jamanda

Does anyone want any money in advance?

(That means people buying food for the skills share, not just random people who might want some money)
gardening-girl

Would you like us to buy the breakfast bacon?or is anyone else getting/making it? faerienono

There is a good fishmonger in Carmarthen who tries to stock local fish whenever possible, and he is a really nice person. Would be good to support his business....? faerienono

Can I be given something relatively easy please? Happy to make cakes, but there seem to be a fair few already.... Nell Merionwen

There is a good fishmonger in Carmarthen who tries to stock local fish whenever possible, and he is a really nice person. Would be good to support his business....?

that sounds like a good idea Smile
Nell Merionwen

Can I be given something relatively easy please? Happy to make cakes, but there seem to be a fair few already....
There can never be too many cakes !
mochyn

I have no idea what to bring. Someone please give me a clue! Nell Merionwen

Gimme ten mins and I'll let you know where gaps are. mochyn

Gimme ten mins and I'll let you know where gaps are. Very Happy Nell Merionwen

Re: Skill Share Meal planning.

Friday
Breakfast
american pancakes Arvo
We could do with something more here, so Arvo is not trying to feed the 5000.
Lunch
quiche Chickem
game pate BTL
MYO pizza yourself Wink
pizza toppings would be useful
Dinner
Lasagne Nell
mild chilli, with a killer side order of onions in chilli-powder to heat it up for non-wusses. Chez
homemade chicken nuggets and tomato sauce Cir3ngirl
a big pan of Cawl, bibbster

Saturday
Breakfast
brioche Chickem
Again extra brekky stuff would be useful. GG, you said something about bacon?
Lunch
a 'whatever' soup Mochyn
sweet and sour pork Nell and M-J's cunning plan
Dinner
The big BBQ
We will need salad/coleslaw/pasta salad/rice. Otherwise it may just be a meat fest.

Sunday
Breakfast
kedgeree snowball

miscellaneous
Cakes and treats.
Galaxy chunky chocolate cake. Nell
cake... coffee and walnut bibbster
home made chocolate cake courtesy of Cir3ngirl's mum Cir3ngirl
chocolate/coffee marble cake and or a apple and almond cake Chickem
mutant waffles S_in_W
assorted bread S_in_W
homemade chicken liver pate hitchindragon
olive and anchovy bites snowball
Cake GG
a selection of my home made chutneysEV

More cake is always useful. It may seem a lot of cake at the moment but the amount of cake a DS gathering will get through over three and a half days is staggering.
Some sort of cereal or muesli would be useful to fill gaps for hungry kids and adults alike.
Any salad would be appreciated. Can people forage their gardens?
We will have cheese throughout the weekend but it would be helpful if someone/people could bring accompaniments. Sally and Gareth are making bread but I have no idea if this will suffice. Crackers?

Other useful things to bring would be a variety of beverages. Aside from vino and beer. Any juices, cordial or so on would be appreciated.
Milk, I am sure we will get through gallons (We could ask Ginkotree if her local milk man can deliver extra if she is paid in advance)
Finally. I can order a large box of fruit from my local box scheme This can be grazed throughout the weekend.
if anyone can think of anything else please say so. this list is by no meant the law Wink Wink
earthyvirgo

I'll bring a selection of my home made chutneys Nell
Spicy plum, beetroot, and a couple of others ...

EV
Nell Merionwen

I'll bring a selection of my home made chutneys Nell
Spicy plum, beetroot, and a couple of others ...

EV

Excellent, Ta.
mochyn

Okey doke: I'll do some soup for the Saturday. How many mouths?

It will be a 'whatever' soup: that is, whatever I can find to make soup from! I won't use any meat or meat stock, just in case.
Nell Merionwen

I'm not actually sure. Is it possible to get a list of attendees, Jamanda. Please?
mochyn

It may even be several different soups. Nell Merionwen

It may even be several different soups.

Cool
sean

I'm not actually sure. Is it possible to get a list of attendees, Jamanda. Please?

It's about 40. Jamanda can give you an accurate figure when she gets home.
Nell Merionwen

It's about 40. Jamanda can give you an accurate figure when she gets home.

Thank you very much Smile
mochyn

I'll work on 40-45 then. earthyvirgo

I'll work on 40-45 then.

That's a lot to make for Mochyn Embarassed

Do you want me to make one .... say a spicy lentil? I can make it fiercely spicy, or gently Smile

EV
mochyn

If you like! earthyvirgo

If you like!

We can chat about it on Sat Smile

EV
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Home Home Home Home Home