Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Nell Merionwen

skin care for men.

So fellas, what is it you want from your skin care? what sort of products do you use? Would you feel more comfortable using something with strong ethics? What sort of scents do you like?
Any information is good Smile
Pilsbury

I would mainly use hand cream and lipbalm.
Not a fan of heavy scents because if the type of work I do but open to trying other stuff, probably as testers first and then maybe the full-size product.
Nell Merionwen

probably as testers first and then maybe the full-size product.

A useful point....
Pilsbury

I would more likely fund for a basket of testers than one or 2 full sized products and then buy the ones I like and use.
Went

No heavy scent, easily absorbed general moisturiser cream (general meaning for using on face/hands/elbows etc).

Organic preferably, hypoallergenic (whatever that really means but no sting after shaving and such), travel size options.
Nell Merionwen

I would more likely fund for a basket of testers than one or 2 full sized products and then buy the ones I like and use.

This has now been added to the Great Big Book of Everything.
Lorrainelovesplants

I like Pilsbury's idea.

I was in Boots on Saturday with Kate helping me buy replacement makeup for the stuff I chucked out (at least 15 yrs old).

I hasten to add I really dont wear any makeup at all except about twice a year when I get invited to posh do's, and then I only wear mascara and a touch of light foundation.
sean

I like Pilsbury's idea.

I was in Boots on Saturday with Kate helping me buy replacement makeup for the stuff I chucked out (at least 15 yrs old).

I hasten to add I really dont wear any makeup at all except about twice a year when I get invited to posh do's, and then I only wear mascara and a touch of light foundation.

I'd never realized that you were a bloke. Shocked
cir3ngirl

Will ask Wes later for his input 12Bore

Light and easily absorbed moisturiser/shaving balm, sample sizes are handy for travelling/nights away, lip balm, and a light but intensive hand lotion, again, no heavy or strong scents. Nell Merionwen

I like Pilsbury's idea.

I won't be making make up...not my field really Embarassed
vegplot

Brillo pad on the end of a Black & Decker. 12Bore

Brillo pad on the end of a Black & Decker.
Pffft, some people are just hooked on designer labels Laughing
sally_in_wales

I've had good feedback on the historic shaving soap recipes. Not sure if soap is on your list but there does seem to be a current vogue amongst the chaps for 'old fashioned' shaving gear, so you may want to add an up to date shaving soap that fits your other parameters to the list. I also get asked for moustache wax a lot, I really must get one certified for sale. There may be wider calls for hair taming stuff based on that? Nell Merionwen

I've had good feedback on the historic shaving soap recipes. Not sure if soap is on your list but there does seem to be a current vogue amongst the chaps for 'old fashioned' shaving gear, so you may want to add an up to date shaving soap that fits your other parameters to the list. I also get asked for moustache wax a lot, I really must get one certified for sale. There may be wider calls for hair taming stuff based on that?

I plan to add Cp soap but it will be a few month into the business so it has time to cure. I want to avoid flooding the site with soap though.
A shaving soap would be a good thing though.
Nick

Sizes so I can carry on an aircraft in hand baggage. Nell Merionwen

Sizes so I can carry on an aircraft in hand baggage.

noted....
I was thinking about an option to but a standard size bottle but also offer a tiny funnel along with travel bottles so It can be dispensed yourself. Ergo, it would be more cost effective for the customer.
Jamanda

I imagine Nick is less interested in the price than the convenience. Nell Merionwen

I imagine Nick is less interested in the price than the convenience.

Nick may well be in the minority though. I will offer both but I don't want to make it too expensive for the average man/woman.
I know I would not with to keep purchasing bottle of travel sized stuff if it costs half the price that has ten times the volume.
12Bore

noted....
I was thinking about an option to but a standard size bottle but also offer a tiny funnel along with travel bottles so It can be dispensed yourself. Ergo, it would be more cost effective for the customer.
Sample sizes?
sean

Not just Nick to be fair. Anyone who can be bothered to faff about decanting shampoo into small bottles will probably have invested in the kit to do it. And probably washes themselves all over with Tesco Basics washing up liquid.
If it's a premium product you need to look at selling it to people with money.
Nell Merionwen

noted....
Sample sizes?

yes...That has been noted but The point I am trying (perhaps badly) to make is that a travel/sample sized bottle could cost, reasonably around 2.50. the full sized bottle would cost around 7.50. But the full sized bottle may contain around 10 times the amount of the travel bottle.
sally_in_wales

agree with the others, offer a smaller size product and perhaps some complete 'get away kits' (in a nice bag with maybe an eco fibre flannel to posh up the presentation?) and charge an appropriate premium for them. Aim them at the discerning traveller as well as the 'oh heck, I need a present for...' market. NorthernMonkeyGirl

If your sample bottles are airline-sized and good quality, they can be refilled - perhaps suggest buying a sample and a full sized/"refill" bottle for frequent travellers? Pilsbury

noted....
Sample sizes?

yes...That has been noted but The point I am trying (perhaps badly) to make is that a travel/sample sized bottle could cost, reasonably around 2.50. the full sized bottle would cost around 7.50. But the full sized bottle may contain around 10 times the amount of the travel bottle.
Yep, and people will buy which ever one they want, its not up to you to try and save people money, its up to you to get them to spend as Much as you can without ripping them off so they won't return.
Of course people will realise the packaging Is a bit part of your costs and a small bottle costs almost Tue same as a big one but people will buy what they want.
Think, 10 travel bottles in a hamper for mum will cost me about 30, that's 4 full sized bottles or a full sized hamper for 75......
Nell Merionwen

noted....
Sample sizes?

Yep, and people will buy which ever one they want, its not up to you to try and save people money, its up to you to get them to spend as Much as you can without ripping them off so they won't return.
Of course people will realise the packaging Is a bit part of your costs and a small bottle costs almost Tue same as a big one but people will buy what they want.
Think, 10 travel bottles in a hamper for mum will cost me about 30, that's 4 full sized bottles or a full sized hamper for 75......

noted and point taken Laughing
Nick

noted....
Sample sizes?

I am in a minority, for sure. Here's where I probably sit. I wouldn't buy your stuff, in reality. I do travel. I end up having to check bags, or not take stuff, or buy big bottles when I get there.

But, my wife? She'd spend a fortune on moisturiser for me to fill my stocking or birthday gifts to make my horrible travelling better, and have me soft and smooth when I return.

It's not about price.

Don't make me your main market, but I think there is a market out there, for sure. And airline rules are easy to find out and comply with. Customise a product to cope with this.
Chez

And airline rules are easy to find out and comply with. Customise a product to cope with this.

And advertise it as such.

(I'm not a bloke either)
Midland Spinner

Replying for OH:
Soap, handcream/moisturiser, shampoo, lip balm possibly.

Squeezy soap to have by the kitchen sink / cloak room - we don't use them as they tend to be full of yuk, but they are so much less messy & faff than bar soap.

Barrier cream???
Heavy duty hand beaded cleaner (for hands that do steam locos / engines) most commercial ones strip everything out of the skin.
arvo

I am a bloke Smile.

The things I would use would *definitely* be a shave soap/oil. Something that smells nice but has been well thought through I do actually care about.

Also deodorant. It takes me ages to find deodorant that is not anti-perspirant. Then when you do find one it smells of teenager. (No offence to teens present Smile.)

Something that smells of nice things, but has not been rubbed in the eyes of bunnies would definitely be something I'd buy.

I also have the small bottles of stuff I can fit in a washbag and/or take on a plane, thing. For something I liked the smell of I would definitely go to the bother of sorting out into smaller travel containers. Maybe make them a special offer including the small bottles, then just do standard sized ones?
Lorrainelovesplants

Actually..... a really heavy duty hand moisturiser for sensitive skin. Nick

Something that smells of nice things, but has not been rubbed in the eyes of bunnies would definitely be something I'd buy.

For the record, nothing made in the EU is tested on animals anymore.

But, all ingredients whether in Lynx or cottage industry products have to be safe, to the same standards.
mousjoos

actually something that smells of bunnies & is kind to skin at the same time would be nice
Jamanda

I think cosmetics that smell of bunny are likely to be more of a niche market than is likely to be of use to Nell Very Happy Still better bunny than lynx. Nell Merionwen

I think cosmetics that smell of bunny are likely to be more of a niche market than is likely to be of use to Nell Very Happy Still better bunny than lynx. Smile
Indeed!

It's been interesting to see how many women have answered the men's question. Just goes to show who realy buys the stuff Wink
We do like our fellas to smell good. My personal preference is a man who smells clean and not falsly scented.
Nick

I think cosmetics that smell of bunny are likely to be more of a niche market than is likely to be of use to Nell Very Happy Still better bunny than lynx. Smile
Indeed!

It's been interesting to see how many women have answered the men's question. Just goes to show who realy buys the stuff Wink

This is true. I have a pot of moisturiser, which lasts me years. It's tiny, and I only use it when really hungover, and need to look ok. I bought this.

Most other things I have have been bought for me. Deodorant aside, I don't think I'd have anything in your range, except, perhaps shaving oil.
Nell Merionwen

Indeed!

This is true. I have a pot of moisturiser, which lasts me years. It's tiny, and I only use it when really hungover, and need to look ok. I bought this.

Most other things I have have been bought for me. Deodorant aside, I don't think I'd have anything in your range, except, perhaps shaving oil.

You don't know what my full range is yet!
However, I think the majority of men would be in the shaving oil, soap and not much else range....
It is the wives/girlfriends and so on who buy these things as gifts IMHO.
Cathryn

And then they sit on the shelves getting dusty and in the way.

I think there are men that use them, we don't know them though.

Jack uses moisturisers and oils. I buy them and apply them when he is looking particularly windblown or at other times. There's a market.

Anyway, I would like moisturiser for my face with a good sunscreen in for us both. Is that a bit difficult?
Nell Merionwen

And then they sit on the shelves getting dusty and in the way.
If the wives and girlfriends want to waste their money then, harsh as it may seem it is up to them. But I hope to make a range of things that may initially be bough my Wives and girlfriends. (NOT WAGS) and when they use it they say "hmm, this actually really nice/useful/beneficial.
There would be little point in making a range of glittery bath oil for the average fella. Not that I am planning to make a glittery bath oil....

I think there are men that use them, we don't know them though.
This is why Ds is only a small fraction of who I am pitching to.

Jack uses moisturisers and oils. I buy them and apply them when he is looking particularly windblown or at other times. There's a market.

this is the market I am really trying to get to the root of. Hence asking what the fellas would like.

Anyway, I would like moisturiser for my face with a good sunscreen in for us both. Is that a bit difficult?

No, it's do-able. I need to do a bit more formulating though to get a pleasing consistence. I should be on the shop as it opens for trade though.
earthyvirgo

I read or heard somewhere recently - might even have been Woman's Hour ... that something like 60% of men moisturise.

EV
Nell Merionwen

I read or heard somewhere recently - might even have been Woman's Hour ... that something like 60% of men moisturise.

EV

They probably do but I've never met one. although A uses a lot of hand cream as he gets really chapped paws. Does this count?
onemanband

Re: skin care for men.

So fellas, what is it you want from your skin care? what sort of products do you use? Would you feel more comfortable using something with strong ethics? What sort of scents do you like?
Any information is good Smile

Skin what ?
None
Wouldn't affect purchase decision
2 stroke oil, paint thinners

I am happy with my sandpaper hands and do not aspire to have ladyhands.

As you say, I think you need to concentrate on the wives/girlfriends/presents market. Either that or some clever gimmick that overcomes attitudes like mine, which I reckon accounts for a lot more than 40% of men.
Nick

This is why I'm fairly confident I don't ave much need for your range. I bought some moisturiser, which I use when very hungover and need to look ok. Aside from that, everything else is provided by the management, and consists of soap and shampoo. Cathryn

I feel the need to point out to you that sandpaper hands are COMPLETELY NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Do you live on your own? Wink
Ty Gwyn

As you say, I think you need to concentrate on the wives/girlfriends/presents market. Either that or some clever gimmick that overcomes attitudes like mine, which I reckon accounts for a lot more than 40% of men.

Afraid i`m with you 100%,although on the radio the other day,they were talking about men getting their eyebrows Threaded,is that plucked?
What you need is a number like that male model,who played part time for Wales,Gavin whats his name/Mr Charlotte Church.

Its surprising how many men do use these products,just not dinosaures like us.
Nell Merionwen

Afraid i`m with you 100%,although on the radio the other day,they were talking about men getting their eyebrows Threaded,is that plucked?
What you need is a number like that male model,who played part time for Wales,Gavin whats his name/Mr Charlotte Church.

Its surprising how many men do use these products,just not dinosaures like us.
Henson, but I only know cos he lived up the road from me and used to get trollied in Cowbridge. Laughing
onemanband

I feel the need to point out to you that sandpaper hands are COMPLETELY NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Do you live on your own? Wink

Yes - which proves the point that left to their own devices a lot of men wouldn't use skin care products (or shave or do regular housework )

However I might consider moisturising for Charlotte Church
Cathryn

Smile

There you see, rugby players moisturise.
Nell Merionwen

However I might consider moisturising Charlotte Church
fixed that for you Wink
County4x4

I've never really understood the moisturising thing. For doctors and massage therapists perhaps, but not for working type blokes.

At a company medical in the chemical waste plant where I seem to spend too much of my time - I was told that my hands looked "a bit battered" and that perhaps I should think about getting some moisturiser. I pointed out that if I had girlie soft hands, then as a chimney sweep/woodfuel supplier I'd probably spend my whole life with them covered in blisters - a point she hadn't considered!

To my way of thinking, rough/tough skin is your body responding to what you're doing in the most appropriate way.

Interestingly, the blokes in the workwear catalogues who are pretending to be working type blokes, ALL look like they spend hours every day "male grooming"! I personally don't have the time or the slightest interest!
mousjoos

I think cosmetics that smell of bunny are likely to be more of a niche market than is likely to be of use to Nell Very Happy Still better bunny than lynx.

I'm very disappointed in this lack of vision....new business needs vision

anyway, I'd buy it !!
Nell Merionwen

I think cosmetics that smell of bunny are likely to be more of a niche market than is likely to be of use to Nell Very Happy Still better bunny than lynx.

anyway, I'd buy it !!
Domestic, wild or comercial hand made snuggly bunny. To be honest I'm not certain how any of them smell. I've not sniffed a bunny in quite some time.
mousjoos

anyway, I'd buy it !!
Domestic, wild or comercial hand made snuggly bunny. To be honest I'm not certain how any of them smell. I've not sniffed a bunny in quite some time.

care is needed when sniffing bunnies...........for many reasons

I'd go for "domestic", possibly with a vague talc-based note to it
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I can provide a bunny to sniff if you like - a sweet little thing. Only trouble is "she" has grown testicles.... Rolling Eyes 12Bore

However I might consider moisturising Charlotte Church
fixed that for you Wink
Laughing Laughing Laughing
mousjoos

I can provide a bunny to sniff if you like - a sweet little thing. Only trouble is "she" has grown testicles.... Rolling Eyes

that just goes to show that women are cleverer than men
Nick

I can provide a bunny to sniff if you like - a sweet little thing. Only trouble is "she" has grown testicles.... Rolling Eyes

Nonsense. All men manage this. Only a few women do.
mousjoos

whatever happened to the underlying "tree-hugging" diplomacy of this forum?!
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Wait, are we talking about sniffing small mammals or growing testicles now? Nick

I joined.

NMG: Growing testicles.
mousjoos

I joined.

NMG: Growing testicles.

okay, I see where I went wrong

NMG: yep testicles, the growing of........seems to be a man-thing
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Okay, but all those who think they're clever with their testicle growing need to remember that in this case it lowers his lifespan to "when he's fat and I'm hungry" Laughing Laughing Nick

Okay, but all those who think they're clever with their testicle growing need to remember that in this case it lowers his lifespan to "when he's fat and I'm hungry" Laughing Laughing

I imagine most of us are safer than him, tho.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I dunno, I'm pretty greedy and the freezer is running low Shocked Twisted Evil mark

Never used any skincare product other than to treat medical problem (excema ect) or to use say a barrier cream when handling nasty stuff - or cleaning stuff afterwards . I am usually estimated about 15 years younger than my true age.

I think younger men in urban settings are more inclined to use cosmetic products so that's probably the market to aim for. Or those who think it will help them "pull".

If I'm feeling a bit dry I might have tried some concoction belong to girlfriend /wife over the years - but never bought a moisturizer skin cream or any such.

So the more traditional male market is more convinced by the functional necessity or creams gells etc than looking and feeling beautiful!
mousjoos

Never used any skincare product other than to treat medical problem (excema ect) or to use say a barrier cream when handling nasty stuff - or cleaning stuff afterwards . I am usually estimated about 15 years younger than my true age.

I think younger men in urban settings are more inclined to use cosmetic products so that's probably the market to aim for. Or those who think it will help them "pull".

If I'm feeling a bit dry I might have tried some concoction belong to girlfriend /wife over the years - but never bought a moisturizer skin cream or any such.

So the more traditional male market is more convinced by the functional necessity or creams gells etc than looking and feeling beautiful!

so wouldn't smelling of rabbits make us all feel more beautiful?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home