Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Nell Merionwen

skin care for women.

So ladies, what is it you want from your skin care? what sort of products do you use? Would you feel more comfortable using something with strong ethics? What sort of scents do you like?
Any information is good Smile
Mithril

As few ingredients as possible and nut / nut trace free. No added colours or scent. I'm not the average customer though - I seem to react to everything atm :sigh:
Nell Merionwen

As few ingredients as possible and nut / nut trace free. No added colours or scent. I'm not the average customer though - I seem to react to everything atm :sigh:

What about essential oils? they will be there for therapeutic reasons but often add scent. However they don't have the issue some fragrance oils carry.
Mithril

What about essential oils? they will be there for therapeutic reasons but often add scent. However they don't have the issue some fragrance oils carry.

TBH I'm not sure. The only oil I've ever really used is a few drops of lavendar in the bath, which was lovely.

It's not just my skin flaring up I worry about, it's whether or not the scent will make me wheeze and / or sneeze. At the moment I never touch anything with scent, but despite that the hypoallergenic ones I use come with a huge list of ingredients and I can't for the life of me figure out which, if any, are causing a problem. Hence, I'd like to find something simple.
Nell Merionwen

TBH I'm not sure. The only oil I've ever really used is a few drops of lavendar in the bath, which was lovely.

It's not just my skin flaring up I worry about, it's whether or not the scent will make me wheeze and / or sneeze. At the moment I never touch anything with scent, but despite that the hypoallergenic ones I use come with a huge list of ingredients and I can't for the life of me figure out which, if any, are causing a problem. Hence, I'd like to find something simple.

I think I can come up with something pure....
Perhaps you could tray a few samples as Pilsbury has suggested I do?
Mithril

I think I can come up with something pure....
Perhaps you could tray a few samples as Pilsbury has suggested I do?

Sounds good to me. I'm running out of options Laughing
Shan

Easily absorbed and non-greasy. Lorrainelovesplants

A more friendly stapler that will hold my face where it used to be about 20 yrs ago.............. Nell Merionwen

A more friendly stapler that will hold my face where it used to be about 20 yrs ago..............
Shocked
sally_in_wales

really really hefty handcream. I used to make one with infused horsetail and lavendar that was good, the (presumably) silica in the horsetail really did seem to help abused hands and nails.

Moisturiser that deals with ultra dry skin without it feeling like you've applied glue. I often just use a plain oil for night moisturising, but a day cream that feels really light but works like a heavy duty overnight cream would be fab, especially if it works on the neck. Mine seems to be 30years ahead of the rest of my face these days and its annoying
Nell Merionwen

really really hefty handcream. I used to make one with infused horsetail and lavendar that was good, the (presumably) silica in the horsetail really did seem to help abused hands and nails.

Moisturiser that deals with ultra dry skin without it feeling like you've applied glue. I often just use a plain oil for night moisturising, but a day cream that feels really light but works like a heavy duty overnight cream would be fab, especially if it works on the neck. Mine seems to be 30years ahead of the rest of my face these days and its annoying

All noted.
Ironically one of the first things I will be making is a heavy duty hand cream. Poor BA's hands bleed they become so dry.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

What do I use...
Generally oil cleansing with coconut oil for the face, sometimes just water, sometimes a dab of rosehip oil (amazing stuff but pricey!).
Soap for the body.
Cocoa butter or coconut oil for body moisturiser.

What I'm lacking - potions to help tackle spots *without* blasting off the top few layers of skin. Soothing potion for inflammation/itchy skin/bug bites. Sunscreen that doesn't make me look like a greasy ghost.
Hair removal cream? Laughing

I'd be interested in tooth paste/powder without fluoride and SLS - I gather activated charcoal is good?

I would want minimal ingredients needed to do the job - so a blend of "herbs" is fine because it's more than I can make - and as long as I know that (for example) Vitamin E was added for preservation then fine. I tend to judge ingredients as whether someone in their kitchen could produce them? I prefer delicate scents if any, prefereably of the active ingredients. I don't like it if you use a couple of products and then the scents clash.

My official allergy is to colophony, which is mainly found in pine resin but finds its way into eeeeeeverything.

Good luck!! Laughing
AnnaD

How about a mother and baby range? Things like belly cream, bum cream for babies, nipple cream, that sort of thing.

Also, I would use cream for chapped, dry hands.
Nell Merionwen

How about a mother and baby range? Things like belly cream, bum cream for babies, nipple cream, that sort of thing.

Also, I would use cream for chapped, dry hands.

there is a baby/toddle range to be added but I've not really thrashed it out yet. I don't want to promise something that may not be added initially.
AnnaD

That's grand. There's certainly a lot for you to work through as far as variety is concerned. Shan

On the soap front, I use Johnson's Baby softwash as I find everything else too harsh. I'd love something like that. Chez

Another vote for heavy duty hand-cream here. In anything but eau-de-chicken Smile. Midland Spinner

Shampoo, hand cream/body butter, lip balm (in twist tubes, not pots - I don't always have access to hand washing when I need to moisturise my lips.) Soap. wellington womble

All noted.
Ironically one of the first things I will be making is a heavy duty hand cream. Poor BA's hands bleed they become so dry.

Exactly that, and the same for lip balm. And single scents - I don't like them all mixed up. And a good cleanser that isn't too drying, but is more cleansing than an oil. I'm using balm balm stuff, and I love the idea. But the hand cream and lip balm are too light and greasy and the cleanser too oily. Also, they didn't do a 'washable cotton wool pad' type thing to go with them, which I wanted. I bought from ebay in the end.

To sum up, I want a gentle, non oily, non drying, non soap based cleanser, a witch hazel toner, a light and easily absorbed face cream for day, and a snazzy night cream/oil. In tubes or bottles, rather than jars. A heavy duty lip balm in a tube and a heavy duty hand cream that's easily absorbed, preferably in a pump dispenser or tube. Plus some washable cosmetic pads in small and medium. In single scents. Preferably by standing order every couple of months paid by direct debit! Or PayPal at the very least so I don't need to go and find my card.

Well, you did ask. Is your magic wand charged? Laughing
Nell Merionwen

Magic wand is ready and fully loaded. Paypal will be my main method of paymet but also offering card and personal cheques. sally_in_wales

oh, and a thought on packaging. I much prefer creams/moisturisers in pump top bottles rather than ones you have to screw the lid off,( then drop it with greasy hand, fish it out from under the sink then not put it back on properly because you are tired/in a rush). I've noticed over the years that I'm much more likely to regularly use a product if its in a pump top bottle than in a jar.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home