Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
buzzy

Skype problems

Jaki and I communicate with her mother via Skype. Over the Christmas week there have been problems. Whilst we could see and hear her perfectly she got garbled sound and not very good pictures. It has returned to normal since yesterday.

Can anyone suggest why the trouble should be in just one direction?

Thanks

Henry
dpack

band width at her end?
buzzy

band width at her end?

I had thought of that, but would it affect reception but not transmission?

M-I-l lives in an urban area, we are in a rural area where broadband is understood to mean a bunch of fat Salvation Army brass players. Might that make a difference?

Henry
Nick

My upload is way worse than my download speed. So it would mean trouble in one direction makes sense. But if it's fixed now I shouldnt worry about it.
buzzy

[quote="Nick:1471974"]My upload is way worse than my download speed. So it would mean trouble in one direction makes sense. But if it's fixed now I shouldnt worry about it.[/quote]

It's not me who does the worrying, but my m-i-l, and telling her not to worry is a waste of breath. Smile

Henry
dpack

with more info upload bandwidth your end seems very plausible.
Nick

[quote="buzzy:1471976"]My upload is way worse than my download speed. So it would mean trouble in one direction makes sense. But if it's fixed now I shouldnt worry about it.[/quote]

It's not me who does the worrying, but my m-i-l, and telling her not to worry is a waste of breath. Smile

Henry

Have her (and you) get, install, and use a broadband speed checker. Then, when you have issues, look at your up and down speeds.
buzzy

[quote="Nick:1471994"]My upload is way worse than my download speed. So it would mean trouble in one direction makes sense. But if it's fixed now I shouldnt worry about it.[/quote]

Henry

Have her (and you) get, install, and use a broadband speed checker. Then, when you have issues, look at your up and down speeds.

Good idea, but though Jaki and I could do that, the m-i-l wouldn't be able to cope.

Henry
Nick

She got the garbled video. Her download is likely bigger than her upload speed, so it sounds like you were the problem. Check your upload speed. buzzy

She got the garbled video. Her download is likely bigger than her upload speed, so it sounds like you were the problem. Check your upload speed.

She has the same problem with hearing Jaki's sister from Fife, which suggests to me that the problem isn't our end - we can communicate with Scotland with only occasional problems. Still, the shop is the next port of call I think.

Henry
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home