Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
lorrayne

Sloes

Is it too early to pick - they are dark blue but I'm afraid if I leave it too long the farmer will cut the hedge? Can I pick and freeze then make sloe gin a bit later on ?
L
gythagirl

Definitely yes to the latter question - it is said that if you use frozen sloes they will burst on thawing and you don't need to prick them 10 million times...I always freeze sloes! The sloes close to us aren't ready yet - have they got that 'bloom' on them?
dpack

ditto to questions and they are about 6 wks from ready round here.
as mentioned the whiteish bloom on a fat sloe is a good indication of them being ready.

good year for sloes here as the blossom managed to set fruit before the 5 minute hailstorm that halved the apple and devastated most of the pear crops Rolling Eyes
lorrayne

They do have the bloom however these are the ones facing west the ones on the other side of the lane facing north are still green. I'm off to pick!
L
sgt.colon

What do you mean by "the bloom"?
wellington womble

They get a sort of powdery coating. Like plums.
Mistress Rose

I also find they give slightly when they are ripe. Haven't been down to the usual place, but it is in a hollow, so usually rather late. I also need to find all the ones I have in the freezer. Definitely freezer overhaul time.
sgt.colon

Ahhhhh yes I know what you mean, seen them before like that. Thanks WW.

What causes it do you know?
dpack

waxy Wink
gythagirl

Homegrown blueberries have the same bloom when ready to pick. I have sloes leftover from last year in the freezer, was a good year round here.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home