Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Jonnyboy

Slow cooked pigeon recipes?

I have seven pigeon breasts to cook, and fancy something beyond the usual game curry, so does anyone have any suggestions?

I also have four woodcock Cool which will be cooked in the usual way. (Just wanted to be smug about that bit)
sean

Pigeon stewed with peas? Normally uses whole birds, but I'm sure you could adapt it.
LynneA

I had Pigeon Wellington a few months back (The White House Restaurant on the A49, between Craven Arms & Church Stretton).

Not sure how they did it, but the pigeon meat for once didn't have a bullet proof coating.
Laughing
cab

Pigeon breasts...

Okay, start with onion, carrot and celery chopped fine, cook off in some oil till good and done. Add in the breasts, brown on both sides, and then cover with loads blewits (they're just ideal for this dish), and a splash of stock and wine. The blewits will, shortly, cook down to yield plenty of cooking fluid; give it a good stir. You also need to add a sprig of thyme, a sprig of rosemary, and about a dozen dry juniper berries. Cover, cook on low heat for an hour or so. Remove the breasts to rest, reduce the juice by, say, half or so. Till its good and intesne.
fish (the other one)

using a slow cooker,put the breasts in ,cover in 2 tins of minestrone soup and a can pf beans.leave for 8 hours or so ,and voala ! serve with rice and garnish with a scraping of nutmeg and some parsley. Very Happy
Gus

If you still have the carcasses, use these to make a stock - roast them hard for half an hour, then throw them in the stock pot with some root veg and herbs. Turn the heat down low, leave for 2-3 hours (covered) then strain into a large ovenproof casserole dish.

If not, you can use beef or chicken stock for this recipe.

Meanwhile, take 2 rashers of streaky bacon per breast, and stretch them out with the back of a knife until they're twice the area and half the thickness they were originally. With a thin knife, make a stab into the thickest part of the breast and push in a wee cube of butter. Then, wrap each breast after seasoning (easy on the salt - ther's lots of that in the bacon) with the bacon, first lengthways then around the middle - you should aim for nice tight bundles.

Quickly sear these in a suitably hot pan (cast iron skillet is hard to beat - wipe it with a little oil first) for just long enough to seal the outside of the bacon wrapping. Then quickly place in the (still warm) stock, put the lid on and put into a very low oven (gas mark 1) for around 2 - 3 hours.

Once they're done, lift them from the stock and put them somewhere warm to rest for 20 mins before serving, while you make the sauce. Boil the remaining stock as hard as you can until you're left with a syrupy reduction. Add a splash of port and a wee spoonful of something sugary (I usually use bramble jelly) before finishing it with a knob of butter to make it really glossy.

I usually serve this with mustard mash and braised cabbage.
Jonnyboy

Ok peeps. I started of with something similar to Cab's suggestion browned the meat, got some stock, red wine, bouquet garni, seasoning and some dried parasols. Cooked the lot slowly for an hour or so then made up some pastry and cooked in the oven as a pie. Tried to do a lattice top and made a complete balls up of it, but apart from that it was perfick.
sean

Crikey, are those peas very early or very late? Or teeny tiny brussels sprouts?
Jonnyboy

They would be frozen, smartarse.

Which is, of course, the way to get the best tasting peas.
bernie-woman

That pie looks lovely - did it taste as good as it looked Smile
Mary-Jane

bernie-woman wrote:
That pie looks lovely - did it taste as good as it looked Smile

Corrr - yummy! Got any leftovers Guv? Wink
Jonnyboy

A little bit left for tonight, the pigeon is really rich, almost kidneyish.
sean

Jonnyboy wrote:
They would be frozen,

Which is, of course, the way to get the best tasting peas.

Not sure about that, I quite like the French preserved jobbies.
Jonnyboy

The tinned ones - Petit pois a l'etuvee? I'll have to beg someone who's off to France to bring me some back
sean

That's the boys.
hedgewitch

Jonnyboy wrote:
The tinned ones - Petit pois a l'etuvee? I'll have to beg someone who's off to France to bring me some back

Phew! Thought that was going to start a heated debate on the best kind of peas... Shocked Laughing Wink
sd-235

using a slow cooker,put the breasts in ,cover in 2 tins of minestrone soup and a can pf beans.leave for 8 hours or so ,and voala ! serve with rice and garnish with a scraping of nutmeg and some parsley. Very Happy

Is it Baked beans
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Array Home Home