Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Mistress Rose

Slugs and snails

This may well have been covered somewhere on here before, but I couldn't get any sense out of the 'Search' function.

The cabbages I planted out a week or so ago have all been eaten, I think by slugs and/or snails. I put some old copper pipe round the bed and netted them against birds, but have lost most of them.

I know copper tape round the beds is supposed to be good, but all I can find is something like 5 for 4m, which is rather expensive when you have a number of beds to protect as each one would take at least one roll.

Question is, any other way of protecting my seedlings, particularly if the slugs are hiding in the soil, and does anyone know of a better value source of the copper tape.

Any help gratefully recieved before I replant and put my other seedlings out.

Thanks
dpack

nematodes seem to thin the slug population

nightstalking and garlic butter thins the snail population

nightstalking and beer traps are good .the slime barrier stuff in a squeezy bottle works until it rains
dpack

mice can be fond of tender new plants as well as the slimey hoard
Hairyloon

Any kind of water feature to attract toads should reduce the slugs, if only to shift the population dynamic towards snails.
There's some beetles are supposed to voraciously attack slugs, but I'm not clear how to attract them.
dpack

two more limbs and the proper pheromones ? Laughing
Mistress Rose

I might give a bit of evening stalking a try, perhaps armed with the salt. There is a possibility it could be mice, as we do have them in the garden, and I don't dare direct sow peas and beans as they get eaten. Perhaps some observation in late evening is called for.

Thanks for the replies.
wellington womble

I found an individual approach worked. I cut up water bottles into 3 or 4 inch sections and put them around each plant. At first I put the copper tape on them, but the edges we quite sharp and just the plastic seems to work. There are probably slugs in the beds already so copper tape on the beds may have a limited effect. Stalking helps too, but I found a physical barrier most effective, just until they get big enough not to be completely wiped out. I don't mind slugs eating grown up plants, but I get upset if they annihilate my seedlings before they get started.

I used to out copper fittings around small things, too. Might work for the peas?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

two more limbs and the proper pheromones ? Laughing

Laughing
Mistress Rose

Thanks WW, I might try that. I don't have water or squash bottles, but I would think old milk containers might do the trick although they are made of different plastic. Worth trying anyway, even though we have a snail curreently living on the window of our first floor bedroom window.
derbyshiredowser

Stained glass suppliers sell copper foil tape in various widths in 36 yard lengths, its self adhesive .
dpack

an old motor will often supply copper wire but you might be fencing them in as well as out .

my nematodes seem to have become established and although leopard slugs seem immune most of the others are either gone or only pop in to visit and dont breed.

the snails are also much reduced but that might be a few years of garlic butter

the vine weevil todes were useless though Rolling Eyes
Hairyloon

an old motor will often supply copper wire but you might be fencing them in as well as out .

The wire in a motor is usually copper covered with a copper coloured enamel to insulate it from itself... I don't know that it won't also insulate the slugs from itself...
Shouldn't be too hard to do the experiment though.
Mistress Rose

Yes if it is covered in varnish it will prevent it working on the slugs I should think, unless there are pinholes in the varnish. Remembering the care we took to prevent pinholes when varnishing PCBs I would think there are several layers too, so not so good for slug protection. Thanks for the advice about the stained glass suppliers DD. gregotyn

In the past, before I got a source of copper wire to use, I did the beer traps and also the hollowed out orange which attracts the slugs to rest up during the day. You simply go round the garden turning over the oranges in the morning, and destroying the contents, who have entered for their day's rest in a dark place. I don't know if my wire is insulated-varnished-from the other wires in the twist of wires that I use as the defence mechanism but it has worked well in the past for me-now what about the cabbage white butterfly.....I'll be buying some white fleece! Hairyloon

Yes if it is covered in varnish it will prevent it working on the slugs I should think, unless there are pinholes in the varnish.
Do we know what sort of varnish it is? Could it be burned off without toxic emissions?
dpack

a bit of abrasive paper will do a stretched out bit about as fast as you can walk Laughing gregotyn

I would have thought a rub down with some abrasive tape would be adequate for the removal of the coating-trial needed! Hairyloon

Perhaps get a friend to help: one wind the wire up on a fishing reel or similar and the other rub the wire as it passes?
Should be able to do it pretty quickly that way I should think.
dpack

two posts or trees

bit of sand paper

grip ,slip and walk.

easy Wink
wellington womble

Children and a zipline Wink gregotyn

As I have no family, could I hire a couple of children for a day or two?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home