Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Rob R

Smoked haddock

What is the point of the yellow dye in most smoked haddock? I understand it's meant to make it look more appealing, but only if eating one of the Simpsons actually does appeal to you. Confused
Barefoot Andrew

The yellow smoked cod in Sainsbury's looks similarly unappealing.
A.
vegplot

Re: Smoked haddock

Rob R wrote:
What is the point of the yellow dye in most smoked haddock? I understand it's meant to make it look more appealing, but only if eating one of the Simpsons actually does appeal to you. Confused


I think its there just to look like it has been smoked.

"The colour of smoked fish is an unreliable guide to quality, since it depends so much upon the degree of smoking and upon whether a dye has been used and in what quantity. Generally, undyed kippers are walnut or yellow-brown, undyed finnans a pale yellow. Dyed kippers are usually reddish-brown, while dyed finnans are a bright yellow or orange. Cod and haddock fillets, nearly always dyed, are golden yellow. Whatever the colouring, it should be uniform and free from blemish." - http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5895e/x5895e01.htm#Introduction
Rob R

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
The yellow smoked cod in Sainsbury's looks similarly unappealing.
A.


You don't think I should dye the lamb green then to show that it's grass fed? Wink
Barefoot Andrew

Rob R wrote:
You don't think I should dye the lamb green then to show that it's grass fed? Wink


I'm rather glad you didn't...
A.
vegplot

Rob R wrote:
Barefoot Andrew wrote:
The yellow smoked cod in Sainsbury's looks similarly unappealing.
A.


You don't think I should dye the lamb green then to show that it's grass fed? Wink


I dread to think what grain fed beef would look like.
Barefoot Andrew

vegplot wrote:
I dread to think what grain fed beef would look like.


I first read that as "drain fed beef". Would that look worse? Shocked
A.
vegplot

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
vegplot wrote:
I dread to think what grain fed beef would look like.


I first read that as "drain fed beef". Would that look worse? Shocked
A.


My imagination says not.
Fee

I avoid the yellow stuff, ASDA do a lovely undyed smoked haddock that I'm rather fond of though...even if it does mean going to ASDA Smile
gil

Undyed smoked haddock. Mmmmm.
They only need to be smoked for 3 minutes.
Jamanda

Kedgeree. Mmmm. - Must try and buy fish tomorrow.
Rob R

We had some last night, it was rather nice Very Happy
sean

The fish man who comes to our market sells both. When I asked him why he said that the OAPs (who are a large part of his market) won't buy the undyed stuff.
gil

Rob R wrote:
We had some last night, it was rather nice Very Happy


So did I. Great minds etc...
I would have had it with scrambled egg, but broccoli was quicker.
Bodger

I havent hooked and landed a smoked haddock for years Rolling Eyes
vegplot

bodger wrote:
I havent hooked and landed a smoked haddock for years Rolling Eyes


We bought a small boat last year, a 13ft Dory, and am in the process of changing the outboard from a 30HP 2 stroke to a 8HP 4 stroke. earthyvirgo has an urge to mackeral fish around the bays in Anglesey. RYA level II, hand held radio, life jackets all in hand now waiting for some fine weather.
Bodger

Give it two or three months and the big shoals of mackerel will be in VP.
Silas

sean wrote:
The fish man who comes to our market sells both. When I asked him why he said that the OAPs (who are a large part of his market) won't buy the undyed stuff.


Well, I'm still far from being an OAP, but I do like the dyed smoked fish - it just dosent look right to me undyed. It probably is an 'age' thing as to me, smoked fish has always been yellow.
vegplot

bodger wrote:
Give it two or three months and the big shoals of mackerel will be in VP.


I have a freind who fishes off a kayak around the north west iof the island and he say the mackeral is already out and about, much to his surprise.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home