Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
jema

So 2040?

Anyone else figuring that extrapolating a current range on the new electric cars promised this year of at least 200 miles at a 10% increase a year, would mean in 2027 range would be about 520 miles!
Plus if anyone had the political balls you could enforce a standard on batteries that could be hotswapped automatically quicker than you fill up with petrol.
As such I can't see why in the world anyone would be producing or buying petrol/diesel at the car level by 2030 at the latest, especially if the political will was there to make it so.
So 2040 is an absurd joke Sad
Shan

Add consecutive changes of Government with different priorities and it's even more of a joke.
Slim

With so much of the world moving towards a subscription model, and self-driving technology advancing, will anyone own their own car farther out into the future anyway?

Personally, I'm shooting for a radwagon electric cargo bike for into commuting, and hoping that my local car share program will buy an electric pickup truck when they've gone mainstream Cool
dpack

the car makers have a shorter timescale than the gov one
wellington womble

I was recently in the market for an electric car, but couldn't get anything that met my needs in my price range. I couldn't afford a new one, but older ones were either too big, or I wasn't sure of the battery longevity. I couldn't buy an electric car, even though I wanted too.

As cars have such a long lifespan, and such a thriving second hand market, I think it will take that long to phase wet fuel cars out. There are still so few of them around, even brand new your choice is very limited. It's fine if you want a family vehicle, but for a smaller car or a van, the choice is limited to non existent. Or it was, a year ago. The two seater smart I would have liked has actually gone out of production.

Of course, news that everyone must have electric cars will certainly push production up. But it will definitely take a long time to filter through the whole market. What about vans and lorries and so on? Does it include them, or are they excluded?
onemanband

the car makers have a shorter timescale than the gov one

The gov't may as well claim credit for phasing out compact discs by 2040.
Mistress Rose

I can't see wet fuels disappearing entirely until someone comes up with heavy enough batteries to get all vehicles everywhere carrying all loads. I am not too happy about the diesel pickups we have to use, but it is the only way to get to most parts of our wood, and in bad weather we can't even get them up some of the steeper slopes. Add to that tractors and you will still have a requirement for some larger vehicles to stay diesel. Lorries going long distances will also be a challenge.

Making bus services more convenient and cheaper will help of course, but this doesn't seem very likely at present.

For shorter distances and around town electric vehicles have definite advantages as long as the electricity is produced using renewable energy. Otherwise it is far more energy efficient to burn the fuel directly in the engine. See Dpacks post on the off grid thread.
jema

Tesla models already have a range of 335 miles. Extend that a bit and make batteries hot swappable and the range issue evaporates.
I am of the view that the only reason this has not already happened is that this does not involve maximum profit.
electric cars are a threat to a lot of profit in all sorts of areas.
Woo

Tesla models already have a range of 335 miles. Extend that a bit and make batteries hot swappable and the range issue evaporates.
I am of the view that the only reason this has not already happened is that this does not involve maximum profit.
electric cars are a threat to a lot of profit in all sorts of areas.

i know its not 'on ' topic but my son and his friends were out car watching in Laval last month and watched a police man pull over a Tesla they had been drooling over, the policeman refused to believe it was a real car, despite all the documentation...in the end the frustrated driver just drove off, quietly!
here people keep their cars for years and years. mileage isn't the issue it is in the UK and as they don't put salt on the roads there isn't the corrosion issues cars driven in GB have. example immaculate MK 1 fiesta owned by a local farmer!
Slim

For shorter distances and around town electric vehicles have definite advantages as long as the electricity is produced using renewable energy. Otherwise it is far more energy efficient to burn the fuel directly in the engine.

That's not my understanding of it, though I think it's hard to talk about this stuff as petroleum refiners don't really release statistics on how much energy they utilize, AFAIK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQpX-9OyEr4
sgt.colon

It will take a government that long to work out where they can recover the lost revenue from on fuel duty.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home