Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
snowball

So, Christmas food treats?

What are your must have nibbles over the holidays?
I always make a pork pie, and Martin makes spicy cashews.
Any favourite recipes to share?
dpack

sometimes i make a tongue and brisket salt beef (equal lengths and about 3 parts brisket to tongue)

brine both in fridge for about ten days in 5% wt/vol sea salt / filtered water

season with plenty of black pepper

roll brisket around tongue and tie with string then wrap in mutton cloth or a tea towel

simmer for 4 to 6 hrs

press heavily in the prone posture in fridge

slice as required
gythagirl

cheese footballs Laughing
Pilsbury

Pringles, £1 a tube in add a..
sean

These. Probably a baked Vacherin at some point. Used to be smoked salmon & scrambled eggs for breakfast but BW doesn't like scrambled eggs.
Hairyloon

Pringles, £1 a tube in add a..

Add a what? We're on tenterhooks here... Wink
Shan

We always have a Pannetone. Nice with a glass of white port and then when we get tired of it, we turn the rest into bread and butter pudding. Shan

These. Probably a baked Vacherin at some point. Used to be smoked salmon & scrambled eggs for breakfast but BW doesn't like scrambled eggs.

We have a Vacherin in the freezer.
LynneA

Likewise Embarassed

We also have two different vintages of Howard's Sloe Gin to sample
jamanda

Digestives and Chocolate Roll

Digestives and Chocolate Roll

This recipe serves 24 (makes 3 rolls).
Ingredients

90g sultanas

4tbsp cognac

400g Digestive biscuits

155g blanched almonds

375g butter

220g cocoa powder

1 tin (395g) sweetened condensed milk

Icing sugar
Method

1. Soak the sultanas in two tablespoons of cognac for 10 minutes. Melt the butter.

2. In a large bowl, break the Digestives with your hands into medium-sized pieces. Add the almonds, butter, cocoa powder, the remaining cognac and the condensed milk. Add the sultanas and mix in thoroughly. It will form a very dense mixture, so it may be easiest to mix it with your hands.

3. Place a double layer of cling film on a clean work surface and put one third of the mixture in the middle. Using your hands, shape the dough into a log about 5-7cm in diameter. Place the log towards one end of the cling film and start rolling the plastic tightly around the log. Twist the ends of the plastic and tuck them under the log.

4. Repeat this process to make two further logs. Refrigerate them overnight.

5. When ready to serve, use a sieve to sprinkle icing sugar over the top and slice the roll with a sharp knife.
jamanda

looking at that recipe, is it just me or is 225g of cocoa powder a ridiculously large amount? That's nearly two whole tubs! Shan

Rather. It would end up being quite bitter. Nick

Dunno. Lot of sweetness in the biscuits, fruit and milk. It's 220g in about 1.6kg. 15%? sean

It's fine. He forgot the cherries. otatop

sausage rolls (butcher's sausage meat of course) and lots of home-made pickles and chutneys.
Cheese shortbreads
Real cheese
Cold leftovers from Christmas dinner
GrahamH

I recently had a trip to Macau. As you know an ex Portuguese colony.
On of the biggest drivers of this destination selection was port. Unable to obtain any here but spoilt for choice in Macau.
Can now get a limited selection of UK cheeses (six hour round trip) so my favourite after meal tipple all set for Christmas.....and the week before Christmas and come to think of it, an ideal after Downsizer post drink. Cheers!
wellington womble

Chocolate chestnut cake. The children prefer it to Christmas pud, and the adults are rather partial to it with coffee for elevenses. I always make a ham, a pork pie and sausage rolls as well as the Christmas cake, pudding and mince pies. Sometimes pate if there are a lot of us for Boxing Day. This year there has been a request for coffee and hazelnut cake and I may depart from tradition and make chicken and ham pie instead.

Santa also knows that I am very fond of Hotel Chocolat. Especially cherries in kirsch.
jettejette

Chestnuts! Roasted on the fire in an old fasioned, lidded chestnut pan.

Chestnut chocolate cups - melted chocolate, chestnut puree, cream and brandy. Delicious and a little goes a long way!
gardening-girl

I like the sound of the chocolate and chestnut cake. How well does it keep, and does it freeze? wellington womble

It keeps appallingly (don't worry, this will not be an issue!) as its so damp and squidgy it goes mouldy on the bottom after about three days. But it freezes absolutely fine.

It's this one, but it takes much longer to cook than he says (and it's still pretty damp and squishy. I just use unsweetened chestnut purée rather than cooking and mashing chestnuts)

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6464/hugh-fearnley-whitingstall-s-chestnut-and-chocolate-truffle-cake.aspx
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home