Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
PeteS

So Many Mushrooms

Sundays haul:

Saffron Milk Caps, Winter Chanterelles, Chanterelles, Ceps, Orange Oak Boletes, Orange Birch Boletes, Bay Boletes, Hedgehog Fungi. A couple of giant Orange Oak Boletes, a couple of Beefsteak Fungi. I really like Beefsteak fungus. The trick is NOT to cook it. Just slice it thin and warm it in some good olive oil. Cook it and it's horrible!

Mondays haul:

Even more mushrooms! After Sunday I had not even bothered taking my basket. Just went out for a quiet walk with the dog. However, I kept finding mushrooms and after I discovered a patch of Saffron Milk Caps with just over 2kg of perfect mushrooms (they do suffer from maggots but not these) I foraged for some plastic bags. After about 10mins I found three (Tesco's, Tesco's and Sainsbury's) that people had chucked (why do people do this?). Still, I easily filled all three bags. I have been cleaning, eating and storing these for the last couple of days.

Large Cep (a bit ugly but no worms).

There are loads of these about - Orange Oak Bolete (Leccinum quercinum).
mihto

I'm envious Surprised

Tell me Pete, what do you do with them all? My freezer is full, I keep drying them but even if I give a lot away I will still have to eat mushroom soup every day during the next year.

Any suggestions on various ways of serving them?
fungi2bwith

I think the orange oak boletes are stunning looking mushrooms. I never find them here, but always seem to find them whenever I visit the New Forest.

Lots of fungi are now fruiting at this end of hampshire too but my hauls are not quite so impressive.
fungi2bwith

Re: So Many Mushrooms

PeteS wrote:
I really like Beefsteak fungus. The trick is NOT to cook it. Just slice it thin and warm it in some good olive oil. Cook it and it's horrible!

That sounds like a good tip and I will try this soon (there are loads fruiting at the moment). I tried it raw for the first time last week and it was quite pleasant (there is a Carluccio recipe including raw beefsteak fungus).
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home