Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
bernie-woman

sock needle size

As I was finishing my second sock last night - at last a pair!!

I was thinking that the needles i have been knitting on them are very small (2 and a half mm) which have produced a very tightly knitted sock

Is that the norm - what size needles are the rest of you using
Bugs

My current ones are 2.5mm and as you say it's very fine. I would like to do walking/welly socks, a bit thicker, and wondered if I could use bigger needles...and finish a bit more quickly too!
judith

Umm. I think mine are 3.5 mm, but you will have to check with Mochyn as she gave them to me Very Happy

In the unlikely event that I ever get this pair finished, I think I might use a smaller pair of needles for the ribbing.
sunpuppy

I used 3.5mm as well and my socks were knitted with DK wool. They came out just about right, not too loose, not too tight. (Heh heh, that rhymed!) Laughing
Stacey

What wool are you using bernie? A tighter knit sock will be more hardwearing.
bernie-woman

Stacey wrote:
What wool are you using bernie? A tighter knit sock will be more hardwearing.

I have used Opal wool and it feels hard wearing

I ahve got some DK wool along with the unpicked wool from a spare jumper and am going to ahve a go at doing some striped socks and the wool is a bit thicker and thought that thge small needles may be a too small
Stacey

I've got a ball of Opal wool waiting to be made into socks and I had 2.5mm needles recommended. Is it nice to knit with - I've never used it Smile
sally_in_wales

Anything from 2.5-4mm with me, it can be useful to change needle size so the foot comes out snugger than the top for example, which gives more of a custom fit without having to change a pattern.
bernie-woman

Stacey wrote:
I've got a ball of Opal wool waiting to be made into socks and I had 2.5mm needles recommended. Is it nice to knit with - I've never used it Smile

Yes it has been fine - not that I have much to compare it with Very Happy

It has made a strong feeling woolen sock - not the softest but nice to see the stripes emerging in the one I have knitted - quite expensive though - I haven't been able to find it for under 6.50
Cathryn

I have jsut bought a circular needle from Barnados - I had to ask for it because they don't keep needles out in the shop - bizarre or what Shocked (50p by the way - but only a bargain if i go and use it) Never go shopping with downsizers - I swore never to knit again several years ago now - and all it took was a day out with mochyn and judith Twisted Evil
tahir

ruby wrote:
Iall it took was a day out with mochyn and judith Twisted Evil

Definitely trouble them girls Rolling Eyes
Stacey

bernie wrote:

Yes it has been fine - not that I have much to compare it with Very Happy

It has made a strong feeling woolen sock - not the softest but nice to see the stripes emerging in the one I have knitted - quite expensive though - I haven't been able to find it for under 6.50

It's soo expensive. I had to shut my eyes and hand over the money Laughing We're doing a toe up sock workshop at the spinners weavers and dyers online guild and I couldn't be bothered to spin any Smile
Sarah D

I just sue the same size as I do for other knitting - 2.5 mm for 4 ply (eg some of the Opal and other sock wools); 3.5/4mm for double knitting and some of the Regia sock wools; 4.5mm for aran weights.
Stacey

I like the new site sarah Smile

Especially like the moon info - waxing gibbous Very Happy
Sarah D

Thanks Stacey - some words just HAVE to be used, don't they? Laughing

Still a bit of work to do, but it's coming along. Mustn't let it interfere with my knitting, though Shocked Cool
Stacey

Bamboo needles - why have I never used them to make socks before? They're fab!
Róisín

Does anyone have a link to an easy free sock pattern online? I have made ONE single sock before - this was the knee high pattern from the first Stitch N Bitch book, but knee highs take a lot of wool and I'm really not at a level of knitting to be going above the calf! Laughing Plus I think I would wear ankle socks sooner and more often. I would like to knit with that selfstriping sock wool from that German company (none of which I can remember the name of... Embarassed ). Thanks in advance Very Happy
n

There are LOTS of patterns around, it can be very confusing.
Try http://www.royea.net/formula.html
As she says socks are just maths really.
Fingering weight yarn is 4 ply, worsted is DK

Essentially what you do is cast on a given number of stitches, let's say 60.
Knit in rib, K1 P1 or K2 P2 are my favourites, for about 20 rows.
Change to all knit, this will give you a stocking stitch look on circulars/dpns.
Knit until your sock is long enough. I find that I don't need a hand knitted sock to be as long as an M&S sock for example.
Divide for the heel onto half the stitches.
Once you have done the heel (the website above has a good photo by photo tutorial) and picked up the stitches you decrease back down to 60 again and knit until you can just see your foot becoming your toes (!) when you try the sock on. Then you decrease for the toe and cast off.

Needle wise, I have found that it's not just the size, but the type of needle which makes a difference. I usually knit a 60 stitch sock on 2.5mm bamboos for me, in 4 ply. I recently got some addi turbos the same size, the Rolls Royce of knitting needles ....and the same 60 stitch sock came out as a size 4 instead of a size 6. It was much tighter "fabric"... definitely faster knitting though, thay really are turbo!!

Oh and use a long tail continental cast on (I'll find a link for you), it's much stretchier than any of the others and you don't want a tight line around your ankle/calf.

Hope this helps.

n
sally_in_wales

I cast on by just looping the wool round the needle in a series of half hitches. Mega stretchy and it looks ok Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home