Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Hairyloon

Sock Puppets

On another forum that I use, they are having concerns about someone having multiple accounts: there are three posters with a similar style who are all coming from the same ip address.

I know that the ip address does not a definitive means of diagnosis: sometimes it is the address of the ISP, so several people share it.
Is there a means by which one can find out for sure?
JB

There is no absolutely definitive means. For example it's perfectly possible that one computer at one address would be shared by several people. Because they share a common household it's quite likely they would share similar opinions and even have similar writing styles.

On the other hand the same IP and similar writing styles is a pretty big smoking gun in itself. For more accuracy you could see if the OS and browser are recorded. It's possible but unlikely that the MAC address might be recorded. It's also possible that cookies would identify if the same computer and browser are being used. But frankly I wouldn't worry about more than IP and style.
stumbling goat

Are they/them causing any problems?

Some people seem to get a buzz from mixing and matching without causing any harm. Others seem intent on causing harm or mix it up and need dealing with.

sg
Hairyloon

For example it's perfectly possible that one computer at one address would be shared by several people...

I think that is unlikely in this case.

Quote:
For more accuracy you could see if the OS and browser are recorded. It's possible but unlikely that the MAC address might be recorded.

Where would I look to find (or fail to find) that?

Are they/them causing any problems?

Not really.
Some of the other members are finding it annoying.
Nick

If they're being annoying enough to ban them, ban them. If they're not, yell at them til they either stop, or get worse. Then ban them. Midlandsman

Are they showing similar email addressees or hotmail/gmail type addresses? Does the IP address track to an uncommon ISP?

Either could increase the chance that they're linked.

MM
Hairyloon

All helpful pointers, but it seems there is no way to be sure.

They went with Nick's suggestion (sort of).
Nick

You will never be able to prove it, so, be a harsh bastard and deal with it, or put up with it. You'll agonise to death any other way and life's too short. jema

You will never be able to prove it, so, be a harsh bastard and deal with it, or put up with it. You'll agonise to death any other way and life's too short.

yep, that's the role of mods/admins in the internet world, you have no chance of absolute proof, so you have to judge and be damned on the basis of exercising good judgement.
dpack

this

" judge and be damned on the basis of exercising good judgement."

also works in a world of smoke and mirrors Laughing
Hairyloon

you have to judge and be damned on the basis of exercising good judgement.
I'd like to see due process and a right of appeal.
Nick

It is the due process.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home