Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Mistress Rose

Soft fruit foraging

Managed to pick some wild raspberries in our wood yesterday. Some also owe a bit to birds dropping seed as they are yellow, but that patch doesn't seem to be spreading.

From the number of butterflies and bees on the bramble flower, there should be plenty of blackberries too.
sgt.colon

I have to say, I think its going to be a good year for soft fruit. The blackberries around here are abundant and the raspberries in our garden are too. They don't normally start giving a good yield until September. Smile
Nicky Colour it green

we've abandoned the raspberries now as a lot of the fruit is rotting in the warm/wet weather and the wasps are in - been a great year for them and we have a raspberry mountain in the freezer Smile

some yellow raspberries are growing wild near here - and are so sweet and lovely I am thinking of getting some of them too
onemanband

I have to say, I think its going to be a good year for soft fruit. The blackberries ......

Not half.
When I cleared my building plot one corner was overgrown with blackberries. I left a 20 foot long, 4 foot wide, 8 foot high, wall of blackberries to screen off my caravan area.
What you see in picture is a fraction of my crop ! Both sides and the top are laden.

gardening-girl

No raspberries for us yet ours are autumn fruiting,but the redcurrants/blackcurrants are amazing.
Green Rosie

Fabulous fruit year here too - just starting to pick from my thornless blackberry and they look to exceed anything from previous years. One of my blackcurrant bushes was so laden all the branches dipped were weighted down to ground level!
Nicky Colour it green

Fabulous fruit year here too - just starting to pick from my thornless blackberry and they look to exceed anything from previous years. One of my blackcurrant bushes was so laden all the branches dipped were weighted down to ground level!

oh yes, we had the same - stunning quantities this year
dpack

my vine pruned blackberry has lots of nice bunches this year.hooves crossed they will get ripe Lorrainelovesplants

Our rasps firstly didnt get enough water and then the few fruits dried up - poor, but looks good for brambles. Mistress Rose

I think the rain came at about the right time for the raspberries. The blackberries look good too. catbaffler

Where are all the sloes?

I went for a walk yesterday to check out foraging potential in my favourite place for blackberries, crab apples, sloes and wild plums. There were plenty of unripe blackberries and ripening apples but practically no sloes or plums at all. Has anyone else noticed this? Mistress Rose

I have seen a good crop of sloes in some places, but nothing in others. I haven't seen any mirabelles obvious at the moment; the best one round here looked completely fruitless, which is sad. Must have been the cold spring. Either the flowers got frosted or there weren't enough insects around to pollinate them. Jamanda

My long hedge which is usually loaded has not one single bullace. Sloes are patchy. Green Rosie

I've only found one shrub with sloes and we have no plums or damsons this year. Shan

we've abandoned the raspberries now as a lot of the fruit is rotting in the warm/wet weather and the wasps are in - been a great year for them and we have a raspberry mountain in the freezer Smile

some yellow raspberries are growing wild near here - and are so sweet and lovely I am thinking of getting some of them too

Yellow raspberries are fabulous - the other advantage, aside from the taste, is that the birds seem to ignore them. I think the colour confuses them - they don't think they are ripe. I think our variety is All Gold. It spreads like mad. I keep on having to dig sections out!
Mistress Rose

I was a bit worried about them in the woods, but as raspberries won't tolerate serious competition, I think I can leave the brambles to take care of them. thingamajig

I found some wild raspberrys while in the woods today looking for mushrooms,I didn't pick them as I didn't have a container.There weren't that many and they were very small,is the season nearly over for them?
Also the blackberrys looked tiny and very sparse,not a good sign at all,I know its too early for them but will they get bigger or is it a bad sign?
Thanks.
Jamanda

No sign of any ripening blackberries here yet, but I was heartened by the quantities. And they'll be swelling with this recent rain. Mistress Rose

Wild raspberries are a lot smaller than cultivated ones, and you won't get as many on a stem either. It depends on how many stems there are in one place. We have good patches in a few places in the woods, and in others you can walk along past the raspberries and pick only a few. You should have a bit of time left in the raspberry season I would think.

The blackberries may be small at the moment. We have plenty coming along though, so if they are sparse, you may not get a good crop where you are. Are there still flowers, because they may develop to fruit later?
thingamajig

Wild raspberries are a lot smaller than cultivated ones, and you won't get as many on a stem either. It depends on how many stems there are in one place. We have good patches in a few places in the woods, and in others you can walk along past the raspberries and pick only a few. You should have a bit of time left in the raspberry season I would think.

The blackberries may be small at the moment. We have plenty coming along though, so if they are sparse, you may not get a good crop where you are. Are there still flowers, because they may develop to fruit later?

Thanks for the reply
I wont be going back to the woods for a fortnight as these patches are where I used to live, so a long drive.I will have a better look then,I don't remember seeing any flowering. Smile
Hedgerow

It's been good for wild gooseberries, cherries, red currants and strawberries so far. There are good numbers of damsons, crab apples, sloes and sea buckthorn (the business!) plus hazelnuts and walnuts on route. Some of the sloes were starting to gain some colour today. I've eaten the odd blackberry too. I am still to see any wild raspberries yet this year - not been to the right spots. I also need to keep an eye on some fantastic cherry plums (red, yellow and purple) to see how they are progressing. Without slowing down I can see when they are starting to fall off the trees on to a pavement underneath. We need a good year after the disappointment of last.

Hedgerow
http://www.hedgerow-harvest.com
Duane Dibbley

Blackberries are starting to ripen here now and there seems to be a very good crop.

Cherry plums are very disappointing this year....trees that were loaded in 2011 hardly have any fruit despite a poor year last year.

There seem to be loads of Hazelnuts as well.....just need to get to them before the squirrels.
Mistress Rose

Although the numbers will be building up because it will be a good year this year, haven't seen so many squirrels in the woods lately. Think the wet summer and cold winter did for a lot of them.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home