Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Cathryn

Soil pipe

Can't help feeling that burying the soil pipes coming down from the toilets in the exterior insulation is a bad idea. Does yours sit on the outside of the wall or is it tucked away nicely?no smilies
mochyn

Ours goes under the house, under the yard and thus to the tank which is under the top field.no smilies
Rob R

Soil pipes, if correctly fitted, are rarely a problem. All the problems come at incorrectly fitted/designed junctions. The stupid shape of modern toilets caused some problems recently - I'm sure they may be designed with the v-bend to reduce water useage, but I can't help feeling that it resists flow, and certainly access, so that you use far more water when it blocks. On that note I'd recommend an access point in the first bend at the back of the toilet, before it disappears into the wall, so any blockages can be dealt with without a contortionist & lots of swearing.no smilies
sean

Sits on the outside of the wall. (When we moved in it came down through the dining room.)no smilies
Cathryn

Sits on the outside of the wall. (When we moved in it came down through the dining room.)

:D I suppose that was the outside of the house once.

Thanks all. We do keep thinking that it never has blocked and needed to be accessed from that pipe but... It's also unclear where it goes to once it reaches ground level in any case. It goes out under the lawn somewhere and Jack seems to think he knows roughly. We'll have to discuss it with the plumber later.no smilies
onemanband

Re: Soil pipe

Exactly what Rob said............assuming you are talking about just the 4inch soil pipe ........ Can't help feeling that burying the soil PIPES .....

If you are also talking about the inch and a half pipes from basin/bath/shower then I would be cautious about restricting access.no smilies
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home