Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Chez

Solar light advice please?

Advice please!

I need to light a 7 x 5 shed for an hour or two after sunset each day. I don't need a set amount of light - I just need it to stay lighter in the hen house for a bit longer than it is outside, so the flipping guinea fowl will go in to the DARK SCARY TERRIFYING house they have been sleeping in every night for the last four months.

If necessary I can nag Arvo to run fifty yards of armored cable from the mains and put in a light on a timer. However, it would be better for our marriage if there was a little solar set up that would do the job.

I don't need a time switch or anything ... literally a little sensor that goes 'oh, it's getting dark, I'll come on' and then trickles off as the battery dies would do it. I've googled 'hen house solar lighting' and it looks like a posh system is two or three hundred quid, which is a load more than I wanted to spend, given they are not my guinea fowl and I am doing this for my mother.

Any suggestions?
chickenlady

Have you had a look at Amazon uk? They have cheap and cheerful lights for interior fitting for around 8. I should think that would be ok for your purposes i.e. a light that doesn't blind and goes out after an hour or two. Not much good for illuminating a large shed, or anything like that, but fine for the guinea fowl coop at bedtime.
dpack

with remote control
fitting a separate timer in the feed to the lamp should be fairly easy

most of the timer ones seem to be 6 hrs on but would 6 hrs of fairy lights be a problem?

a bit of searching might find one with an adjustable timer

the chook shed ones are for fooling them into thinking it is spring ie lots of big leds and most are rather costly but they do have adjustable timers
wellington womble

Would those cheap fairly lights do if you got two or three sets? They do exactly that - come on at dusk and go out when they run out of juice. They are sooo cheap it's probably worth a try!
wellington womble

Oh, something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01D4P77A8/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2B2YGOUDQSV9O
Chez

Thanks everyone, I will have a rootle round Wilkinson's tomorrow Smile
Nick

http://www.selections.com/garden-shed-light-solar-by-gardman.html?gclid=COe67N7s2s8CFRdmGwodpQ0G5A
sean

Would those cheap fairly lights do if you got two or three sets? They do exactly that - come on at dusk and go out when they run out of juice. They are sooo cheap it's probably worth a try!

There are probably threads about this on mumsnet if you google 'glamping chickens' or something similar.
Chez

Mumsnet terrifies me. They're the Illuminati.
Nick

Mumsnet terrifies me. They're the Illuminati.

Chardonnay drenched, Nigel Slater worshipping, Waitrose shopping Kath Kidson wearing sanctimonious bitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgKrdW38cg0&feature=youtu.be
dpack

i shop from waitrose sometimes ( co-owned by the partners etc and price matched with tescos ) but not the other stuff ,i dont think i'm qualified for membership of mumsnet on most grounds. sean

I only posted it to see if mentioning them still summoned Nick. Wink Nick

Froth froth froth. Treacodactyl

Froth froth froth.

Making one of your posh dinners again? Or am I getting confused with foam?
Nick

Smile dpack

Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home