Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Minamoo

Solar Powered mobile phone

Hello folks!

They have launched the first ever commercial solar powered mobile phone in Kenya. I thought that you guys might be interested in it. It's made from recycled materials and has an inbuilt solar panel on the back of it. linky. I am quite happy to buy these and bring some back if people over there want them and they would be £45 each. And for those who don't want one, there still such an exciting step forward in telecommunications.

It's such a brilliant idea for somewhere like Kenya where so many people still don't have electricity in their homes. It means that anyone, anywhere can be connected. And the fact that it's made from recycled materials is just the icing on the cake.

Smile
chez

That looks brilliant, Mina. I wonder, though - would the sun (or lack of it!) in the UK be enough to charge it? Or would you need to 'top it up' from the mains? Either would be good - as you say, it's a real step forward.
nettie

Could you leave it on a windowsill to charge?
sean

nettie wrote:
Could you leave it on a windowsill to charge?

Only if you moved all the seedlings.
Minamoo

It has both a solar charger and a mains charger plug thingy. so on overcast days, you can plug it into the wall to top up. And I think it would be ok on the windowsill if tilted in the direction of the direct sunlight. It would probably charge better if left out in the open though. How well do conventional solar panels charge when left on the windowsill?
chez

Minamoo wrote:
How well do conventional solar panels charge when left on the windowsill?

I was wondering that. I mean - how does it compare to those little charger-thingies that you can use for ipods and stuff? It's a great idea - I love that it's recycled, too.
Minamoo

One of my friends in the UK has said that he wants one. What I shall do, is buy his one, then test it out to see how well it works and let you know how well it performs. But I have heard very good things about it from others. Not sure when I'd be able to do this by but hopefully within the next week or so. Smile
RichardW

Get a £19.99 phone & a solar charger for £3.98 inc del & save £21.03
linky
(you can also get hand winders to do the same)

The thing is most people keep their phone in a pocket / bag, see where I am going with this?

I wonder how long it takes to fully charge a bat & how long that charge lasts?
Minamoo

RichardW wrote:
Get a £19.99 phone & a solar charger for £3.98 inc del & save £21.03
linky
(you can also get hand winders to do the same)

The thing is most people keep their phone in a pocket / bag, see where I am going with this?

I wonder how long it takes to fully charge a bat & how long that charge lasts?

I may save 21 by by buying the solar charger gizmo you posted the link for, but I would rather buy the mobile phone. The more people who buy these kinds of new sustainable technologies, the more likely they are to enter the mainstream. Me buying one of these phones here from a little kiosk in River road or wherever means that the money I spend is going to support my community, and the fact that it's made from recycled materials means that the impact it has is far far less than buying a brand new phone and a separate solar charger for it. As far as it being in a bag/pocket goes, don't you think that the designers would have thought of that before launching it commercially? These kinds of phones have existed for years but not on anything like this scale. Why would they sell a defective phone?
RichardW

Minamoo wrote:

1, The more people who buy these kinds of new sustainable technologies, the more likely they are to enter the mainstream.
2, Me buying one of these phones here from a little kiosk in River road or wherever means that the money I spend is going to support my community,
3, and the fact that it's made from recycled materials means that the impact it has is far far less than buying a brand new phone and a separate solar charger for it.
4, As far as it being in a bag/pocket goes, don't you think that the designers would have thought of that before launching it commercially?
5, Why would they sell a defective phone?

1, Its not new its a reapplication of old tech (or the joining of two product into one)
2, Hell yeh buy local first
3, possibly your right but have you seen how they recycle stuff in 3rd world countries?
4, Er no, just like the solar Bra charger & many more I can name
5, To make money pure & simple its the ONLY reason they do things.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home