Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
marigold

solstice celebrations

this is how we do it in Brighton (weather permitting).....

www.theargus.co.uk/the_argus/the_guide/THEATRE_PREVIEW0.html

pictures here www.burningtheclocks.co.uk/gallery.php

what will you be doing on Wednesday evening?
hils

I have been 'told' by a not so reliable source that its the 22nd this year...it doesn't change date does it??? really confused and brain can't work out why it would or wouldn't - ie its based on the lunar cycle isn't it?
Aaagh always thought it was the 21st.....
marigold

The date does vary - see www.isleofpurbeck.com/longest.html for an explanation (not that I really understand it!). Looks like technically it is 22nd this year, but the Burning the Clocks event is on 21st. Apologies for any confusion Confused

Do any other downsizers mark the day? Any excuse for a party Laughing
sally_in_wales

We do Yule, but I thought it was the 21st this year, I'm sure I checked when we planned our feast. Oh well, never mind, we can be having a 'Yule-eve' party rather than a 'Yule' party.

We usually have a housefull of people for a buffet style feast and general good cheer, for Gruff and me its also the 'significant' date of the midwinter period, though we usually then go to parents for Christmas as well (nice thing about multi faith families is you get two xmas dinners and two legitimate present opening days Cool )

Madly in the midst of the pre Yule house blitz at the moment, about to send himself out with eth last of the post (that plague rats for those of you wot ordered them!)
joanne

We do Yule as well as Christmas but this year both are going to be a little subdued due to OH losing his Dad last week - the funeral is tomorrow Sad

We haven't even put up any decorations yet - it just doesn't feel right but I've promised the kids we will make a day of it on Wednesday and spend the whole day decorating the house and then top it off with a Yule meal - hopefully we will have some Pagan friends round to share it with.

We don't give presents at Yule - save those until Christmas day but we try and have a traditional meal including the Yule log.

I always tend to celebrate Yule on the 21st even though it sometimes falls on the 22nd mainly because otherwise its getting just too near Christmas.

Joanne
marigold

Sorry to hear of the loss of your OH's Dad, jocorless. I hope his ending was peaceful.
2steps

we are having a big big turkey dinner and yule log (which I have to make later) I have made some fudge, turkish delight and chocolates as gifts for my children and OH. we're planning a bonfire but will have to see what the weather does
Lozzie

It coincides with my best friend's birthday this year so I will be decending on her house with my husband and children and a waggon load of hand drums and beer. Very Happy
gil

Lighting the stove and burning the Yule log.
Mrs Fiddlesticks

my 1st year of doing Yule( but it feels right to do so), so haven't really worked on a tradition for own hearth yet (it will come!) We've a table booked for dinner at the pub tomorrow eve so that will be our celebration feast; but I expect to take some time in the next day or so to think alone about it and honour the season.
Mrs Fiddlesticks

hils wrote:
I have been 'told' by a not so reliable source that its the 22nd this year...it doesn't change date does it??? really confused and brain can't work out why it would or wouldn't - ie its based on the lunar cycle isn't it?
Aaagh always thought it was the 21st.....

my view is, it doesn't matter, that is each to their own interpretation of the season. If you feel drawn to the 22nd then make that your Yule, (some may feel that nature or the moon will tell them rather than a specific date)

However you mark it...

Blessings of a Warm Heath at Yule

Fiddlesticks Julie
Leanne

we also celebrate Yule, at least my OH and I do. my children dont, so we also 'do' christmas for them. Sadly OH is working away all this week and wont be home til friday so I will be marking the solstice on my own this year.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home