Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Bodger

Some new blood for my Light Sussex.

I'm extremely pleased with the standard of my Light Sussex but nothing stays the same forever and it doesn't do to rest on ones laurels, so this morning the postman delivered 15 Light Sussex hatching eggs. They come from a strain bred by a man called Fred Hams who is well known in the poultry world as a breeder of utility Sussex.
The eggs are terrific to look at and are of a good size. They average out at around 70 grams each in weight and I look on myself as being pretty lucky to have been able to lay my hands on them.
I'm not going to put all my eggs in one basket and I intend putting some under a broody and the others in the incubator.
If everything goes to plan, then I'll gently blend some of this new blood into my own strain.
Chez

Ooooh, lucky you!
Bodger

Just keep your fingers that some hatch, I've heard that they're supposed to be pretty good and that the chap has been at it for years. Very Happy
Chez

I think he's on in his eighties, isn't he?
Bodger

I've not met him and I hesitate to call him old but apparently he's quite mature and has retired. He's passed on his birds to others but still mentors the chap that's sent the eggs to me.
Lorrainelovesplants

lucky bugger - he has a great reputation.
alison

He used to write in smallholder magazine ages ago. He has a fabulous reputation and is very knowlegable on breed strains.
Bodger

I had 15 eggs sent to me. This evening I've put nine under a broody and tomorrow, the remainder are going into the incubator. I really do hope that I get some birds out of them. I'm looking forward to seeing what they are like and comparing them with my own.
mal55

Does He post eggs or just sell them locally? Do you have contact details for him please?
Bodger

I can't fix you up with any of those particular eggs but I keep what I think are some pretty good LS and i'd be prepared to let you have some eggs off those. I've fixed quite a few forum members up with them and I think that they've been very happy with them.
Bodger

My first bit of good luck with my hatching this year. Here are my ten, yes I said ten! Fred Hams Light Sussex chicks. The last one turned up a day or two after the others this morning and two more Anconas to go with them.

Piggyphile

I do love chicks, which had the better hatch rate, the broody or the incubator? I have struggled with my incubator but my broodies always do quite well.
Bodger

There's quite a story attached to the hatching of these chicks, with the broody coming off the nest after sitting for eighteen days and me sticking her eggs in the incubator with the rest of the eggs. I've been extremely lucky to have ended up with as many as I have.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home