Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Nell Merionwen

something just for me.

After so many years of retraining and study I am wanting a hobby just fr fun. To learn a new thing. So I am thinking a florestry course and and/or art evening classes.
What hobbies do you guys have just for fun. Stuff that doesn't link to your working life as such.
vegplot

Currently, truing a bicycle wheel. It's kept me amused for hours now.
Shan

Sailing.
Nell Merionwen

Sailing.

ooh nice hobby Cool
Chez

I am going to spend the winter teaching our entire family to play the recorder.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Ostrich wrangling? Wink
Nell Merionwen

Ostrich wrangling? Wink

You first! Wink
Chez

No extra animals for me. Just good clean musical fun from now on. I'm making leiderhosen out of the curtains as I type. Nell Merionwen

No extra animals for me. Just good clean musical fun from now on. I'm making leiderhosen out of the curtains as I type.
I'll bet you all look adorable Laughing
sean

If they're 'song-trousers' that would be liederhosen. It seems unlikely that you have leather curtains for making lederhosen. Nell Merionwen

If they're 'song-trousers' that would be liederhosen. It seems unlikely that you have leather curtains for making lederhosen.
You never know what she may have in the "play" room!
dpack

if you go for the art class route the skill specific classes tend to be better for recreation than general ones like a gcse.

print making is rather fun and very diverse in methods so whatever ones abilities a good result can be achieved.
Nell Merionwen

if you go for the art class route the skill specific classes tend to be better for recreation than general ones like a gcse.

print making is rather fun and very diverse in methods so whatever ones abilities a good result can be achieved.

My first job was as a printmaker. I loathed it in the end Laughing
So of my diverse qualifications one of them is a silk screen printer.
I also did A-levels in Art, Art history and Photography. I don't use any of them anymore and miss them.
Barefoot Andrew

If they're 'song-trousers' that would be liederhosen. It seems unlikely that you have leather curtains for making lederhosen.

Shocked

I'm going to get the language CDs out again at some point and revisit learning Spanish.

And I'm going to build a model railway.
A.
Rob R

I also did A-levels in Art, Art history and Photography. I don't use any of them anymore and miss them.

There's your answer - get the camera out...
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Ostrich wrangling? Wink
You first! Wink

Did I ever tell you the tales of the cattle-transporter who had also transported ostriches...?
Nell Merionwen

Shocked

And I'm going to build a model railway.
A.
Where? In what inch of spare space? Laughing
We need a bigger house
Nell Merionwen

Very Happy I may just have to nick BA's. Mine looked like they came from the arc. No DSLR in my day and I would miss the dark room.
Barefoot Andrew

I tried to win euromillions last night, but failed miserably.
A.
Rob R

...and take photos of historical art. Job done. Cool
Nell Merionwen

...and take photos of historical art. Job done. Cool
I like your style! Sorted!
sean

A.

ZZ gauge will be the way to go then.
Barefoot Andrew

Is that with huge beards? One Z too many there.

Besides, the smaller the more expensive.
A.
Chez

Is that with huge beards? One Z too many there.

Besides, the smaller the more expensive.
A.

My father had a full Hornby set-up on an eight-by-ten board that folded up against the living room wall when not in use. He build shelves underneath it on the wall and the track curled down so that the trains could be driven in to bed when he'd finished playing. And there was a hole in the middle of the board that you crawled in to and stood up in, to operate the controls. It was *ace*. The smell of burning dust takes me right back, even now.
Barefoot Andrew

Ooh, even more inspired now Very Happy
A.
mochyn

I suppose my degree comes into this category. Can't see ever earning any money as a medievalist! Laughing sgt.colon

I fly fish. It's quite, enjoyable and you hopefully have food to take home at the end of it. Nell Merionwen

I suppose my degree comes into this category. Can't see ever earning any money as a medievalist! Laughing
I do Wink
Bebo

Clay pigeon shooting. It's fab. vegplot

I suppose my degree comes into this category. Can't see ever earning any money as a medievalist! Laughing

A few groats every now and then.
vegplot

Clay pigeon shooting. It's fab.

It's easy if you shoot them once they've landed.
robkb

I fly fish.

That must be quite difficult.

Virtually nothing I do outside work has any connection to my work.
robkb

I will ban my daughter from reading this...
Bebo

Clay pigeon shooting. It's fab.

It's easy if you shoot them once they've landed.

One stand I shot on Sunday morning I hit 10 clays with 9 shots. None of them were on the ground.
Barefoot Andrew

I fly fish.

Laughing
A.
sgt.colon

I fly fish.

Laughing
A.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz
wellington womble

I make a point never to try and make any of my hobbies pay. It takes all the fun out if it and makes it feel like work, however much you loved it before. I don't mean you shouldn't like your work, just that you shouldn't spoil a good hobby.

I would like to say I knit, although it wound be more accurate to say that I collect yarn. And I garden (although the garden is winning) I sew, spin and dye sometimes and dabble with soap and things. I'd like to do a lot more of those things. I did do some clay shooting, and loved it - I would like another go at that sometime. I'd also quite like to learn more history, too. On the whole, I'd just like the hobbies I have to stop getting away from me!

I did a pottery course once, that was very enjoyable. Good, squishy fun.
BahamaMama

Botannical illustration - the levels of concentration banish all other thoughts and worries Nell Merionwen

I make a point never to try and make any of my hobbies pay. It takes all the fun out if it and makes it feel like work, however much you loved it before. I don't mean you shouldn't like your work, just that you shouldn't spoil a good hobby.

I would like to say I knit, although it wound be more accurate to say that I collect yarn. And I garden (although the garden is winning) I sew, spin and dye sometimes and dabble with soap and things. I'd like to do a lot more of those things. I did do some clay shooting, and loved it - I would like another go at that sometime. I'd also quite like to learn more history, too. On the whole, I'd just like the hobbies I have to stop getting away from me!

I did a pottery course once, that was very enjoyable. Good, squishy fun.
perhaps I need to come and visit you. We can do fiber stuff and talk history.
Mistress Rose

I have the problem of my hobbies getting away from me too WW. Like you I spin, have done weaving, knit, embroider, and try to do something with the garden. Have done some research into history, but specific periods; 17th century and Iron Age, as we have done re-enactment for 17th century, and reconstructive archaeology (I think it is called) for Iron Age. As a result I have been spinning for 2000 years. Laughing OtleyLad

Growing stuff to eat I could happily do almost 24/7. There's always something new to try: fruit/nut trees, herbs, soft fruit, unusual veg (this year its Tiger Nuts, Siberian Honeysuckle and Japanese Wineberries) and then you get new things to cook with. Nicky Colour it green

I play the recorder and whistle, and go to folk sessions and gatheringswith folky friends, where we play (mr CIG plays the melodeon) along with them

I knit and collect yarn

I want to get into sewing but it seems to involve finding bigger chunks of time

I draw (not terribly well, but who cares)

I really enjoy impractical cooking - most of my cooking is preserving the harvest, or making dinner etc, but it is nice to bake something you don't need, just for the joy of doing it or learning a new technique

I've just taken up cycling again after a long break. I walk regularly too.

We've recently bought a van again, and are converting it into a camper. A fun process in itself, but when done we shall be spending a lot of time using it mostly as a day camper to go to the beach and moors.

My biggest hobby is reading. However panicked things are, I always find time to read, even if I have to give up sleep to do it.
SandraR

Reading through everyone's hobbies, I've realised it has been far too long since I've done anything 'for myself'.

Gardening used to be my escape but has turned into more of a chore, the hens were but are now the start of a small business and I can't remember the last time I did further research into the family tree. I can't recall when we last spent a night or day away from here other than visiting Dad - I think when we went to CastleFarms to collect some birds and that was years ago!!

Time for a few changes.
Chez

I think that recognising that time spent on myself is not time wasted is one of the most important lessons I have learned over the last few years. Life should not just be about survival. gregotyn

I am in the process of having a bungalow built, and the builder is putting in a clear span roof to allow a 'dormer style' attic. In there I intend to go back 60ish years and put my model railway, Hornby Dublo 3 rail down for the first time in 30 years and shelve the walls to display my Dinky toys, and put the Bayko and Meccano at another end for playing with if I want! I can't wait for my friend's 3 year old to get to 7 and hope he likes the idea, so that I can have a serious excuse to play! I will be in, I hope, before the end of December, but who knows? Graham Hyde

SandraR, you have my sympathies. I now tend to have building projects rather than hobies but on the list after the bread/piza oven is the building of a boat. For Me. To have time out. On my own. Fish, laze, whatever, but for me. At the moment it's work all day, every day. But one day, a boat...... Shan

Sailing.

ooh nice hobby Cool

I think I like the fishing and the eating part of the sailing the most. Laughing
Shan

A.

My luck is a bit off on that too!
robkb

A.

My luck is a bit off on that too!

That makes three of us Sad
Nicky Colour it green

I think that recognising that time spent on myself is not time wasted is one of the most important lessons I have learned over the last few years. Life should not just be about survival.
this. So true.

few years ago when things were very stressed the gp told me I needed to do some things just for me.. and it came as a shock. I didn't even exercise just for myself. I still have to shake myself sometimes and remember it is important for my wellbeing to spend time on me.
boisdevie1

I play badminton twice a week - about 5.5 hours in total and it's all high speed stuff. I'm now 50 and beating people half my age gives me deep joy. And no heart attack so far! Rob R

I think that recognising that time spent on myself is not time wasted is one of the most important lessons I have learned over the last few years. Life should not just be about survival.

Always best to prioritise survival, though.
Mistress Rose

Gregotyn, the railway sounds great. We have plenty of old 3 rail between us, but never seem to get round to putting it out.

Sometimes you can do a job and use it as me time. I find going for a walk to find blackberries like that. Also walking in the woods on my own is partly enjoyment and partly checking to see what work needs to be done.
Chez

Always best to prioritise survival, though.

Not to the exclusion of everything else. However rough things are, and however hard you work, there is always time to take five minutes to just breathe.
mochyn

Unless you're being hunted by velociraptors. Chez

I thought you were a mediaevalist? Rob R

Unless you're being hunted by velociraptors.

I think breathing is quite important then, too.

You can go the other way though and spend a bit too much time just breathing and forget about the need to survive. Embarassed
Nicky Colour it green

Sometimes giving a little thought to yourself is survival. mochyn

I thought you were a mediaevalist?

You do know what I'm reading though, don't you? Wink
Chez

Are you enjoying it? mochyn

Yes Smile Very amusing. I want to work there. Chez

Yes, me too. Especially with the hot, incisive, time-travelling future-guy. Ginkotree

I have always got a few craft/creative projects on the go so I have a choice of what suits the mood..then it can be for Me and for survival all at the same time...getting so focused on the craft or job can be like a meditation and can be a wonderful way of "taking Time"..then Life Becomes a Hobby. Laughing Dee J

Lots of my time is occupied with making and fixing stuff - covering a whole range of stuff and materials. Ranges from paid electrical work, necessary house fixing, blacksmithing, electronics, old motorbikes etc

On a more cerebral angle I'm trying to improve my french. Then there's trying to play the Melodeon...

But I figured I could do with some sort of physical exercise, so I'm learning to roller skate - with the distant ambition of playing roller derby Cool

Never enough hours in the day

D
gardening-girl

I`ve started swimming twice a week.Good for my knee also like some time by myself to think.
I knit/spin/crochet/read.
He goes fishing and ferreting.
We also have a large allotment.
JB

I've recently started doing more photography. Ranging from the very very small ...

to the very very big

It's pushing the limits of my photographic and image processing skills way beyond what I'm used to.
Nick

Lots of my time is occupied with making and fixing stuff - covering a whole range of stuff and materials. Ranges from paid electrical work, necessary house fixing, blacksmithing, electronics, old motorbikes etc

On a more cerebral angle I'm trying to improve my french. Then there's trying to play the Melodeon...

But I figured I could do with some sort of physical exercise, so I'm learning to roller skate - with the distant ambition of playing roller derby Cool

Never enough hours in the day

D

Do you use the hill by your house? I imagine you'd learn fast, or never there. Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home