Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
jamanda

Soot

We've had the chimney swept. Should the soot go on the garden or would it be too acidic?
henchard

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=49748

http://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/content/soot-compost-heap
vegplot

It may contain heavy metals and carcinogens depending on what's been burned. But it also contains a number of valuable plant nutrients, including sulphur, nitrogen, and other minerals.
BahamaMama

Traditionally soot was used for onions I think?
dpack

tis good for dressing rubble paths and kills slugs

i wouldn't add it to my soil
oldish chris

Which materials were burnt? What is the nature of the soot (powdery or lumpy)?

Soot is mainly carbon. In the past I have put some in a plastic bag and bunged in a wood-burning boiler - at the end of the day when a slow burn, rather than a roaring fire, is required.
jamanda

It's pretty much only wood that's been burned.
Mistress Rose

It may contain tar but if it was new rather than recycled wood, it shouldn't contain too many other nasties.
jamanda

It may contain tar but if it was new rather than recycled wood, it shouldn't contain too many other nasties.

Mostly oak. All just felled and seasoned logs.
vegplot

Mostly oak. All just felled and seasoned logs.

I wouldn't have a problem with that.
Nell Merionwen

Isn't it supposed to keep slugs at bay? earthyvirgo

Wood ash should be fine but just check it's ph isn't not too much for certain plants.

EV
cir3ngirl

Best celery I ever had was grown in soot Mistress Rose

Probably a mental type, but soot and ash aren't the same thing. Soot is likely to be acidic and contain some tars; oak may also contain some tannins. Wood ash is a good source of potash, but it must be kept dry and is best used as top dressing as needed. It is particularly good for things like tomatoes.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home