Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Blue Sky

Spain & Portugal 2010

in April (during the school hols).

How many DSers are on route and will be around. It would be geat to meet a few more of you. Limoges to Lisbon via diversions would be the plan. We'll be touring in the van and staying on campsites so any recommendations for good stops are welcome. The plan is to have a nosey around Portugal as a potential 'next move'. I've spoken with Andrea who has very kindly offered to show us around the area she lives in.
Penny Outskirts

Ooh - lucky you, we so want to do that too!! Be very interested in what you find. We're learning Portuguese.
Andrea

We´re happy to play host Penny, so come along and test those language skills!
Penny Outskirts

Andrea wrote:
We´re happy to play host Penny, so come along and test those language skills!

We have to get away from the shop first, but as soon as we can........ Very Happy
Green Rosie

Think we might be a bit too much of a detour Rolling Eyes Laughing
Went

Hi Simon - you would be very welcome either on the way there or back. It would be good to see you all again.

We are here: http://www.multimap.com/s/PEhJtCV0

Not to sure how much of a diversion it would be for you but the offer is there. Good luck in Portugal.... Smile
Blue Sky

Hey Ian. Didn't realise you had changed your username. Embarassed Didn't even put 2 and 2 together with the Asturias thing. For sure we will be out your way as we plan to keep the route as coastal as possible so look forward to seeing you guys again soon. Looking forward to having a nosey at your plot too.
Blue Sky

Green Rosie wrote:

No worries. Next time we are northerly bound we will look you up. Smile
Green Rosie

Simon wrote:
Green Rosie wrote:

No worries. Next time we are northerly bound we will look you up. Smile

That's a date then. We are about an hour south of Caen.
pricey

Mate can you go look in at mine for me, Andrea knows where it is, and you can have all the lemons Wink
Blue Sky

pricey wrote:
Mate can you go look in at mine for me, Andrea knows where it is, and you can have all the lemons Wink

Will do. There is a limit to how many lemons one can cope with though. I'll do my best.
sean

Simon wrote:
There is a limit to how many lemons one can cope with though.

Only if you haven't got enough gin...
Went

Not sure of your route Simon but this site comes highly recommended by friends who have stayed there a couple of times - brilliant beaches and resources.

http://campingpobladogaivota.com/en/location/
Blue Sky

Thanks Ian. I have no route planned whatsoever as yet but we may well look that one up. Probly go around the coast on the way and treck across inland Portugal & Spain on the way back. The hols are first two weeks of April so we'd likely be in your area beginning of April.
Blue Sky

The van is packed. The route is hazy - to say the least but we hope to be on the Spanish border by tomorrow evening and should be with Ian the day after. The weather is looking good. Portugal here we come. ETA Wednesday. I have subscribed to one of Jema's marvelous forums for the trip and the link is here: http://touringeurope.myfastforum.org/sutra4.php#4

Please feel free to sign up and post if you want to see what we are up to.

Happy Easter!
hardworkinghippy

The wee caravan's free if you need it ! (Just heard the bigger one's free too now !)

Watch those French drivers !

Irene x
Andrea

All signed up. Hope you´ll make it this far!
Blue Sky

Well we made it to the south coast. Currently camped up at a place called Arcanchon or some such like. Shoud be in Spain before noon tomorrow. Will try to do photos then.
T.G

where are you headed? I used to spend time in a friends villa at rocha brava near Carvoeiro, a charming fishing village right in the heart of Algarve, in the south of Portugal.
Went

Weather is looking good for Asturias Simon so fingers crossed.

See you Thursday - we'll be around so any time is OK.
Blue Sky

Ok, we´re in Spain!

Crossed the border yesterday and stayed at Castro-Urdiales with a great view of the Atlantic but sadly not Wifi. Can´t do photos at the mo cos my card reader isn´t working but maybe later.

We are now at Ian & Luis´ about halfway along the coast and hoping to reach Portugal by Saturday. The boys are loving it and the roads aren´t too busy so the journey is going well.

More soon.
S
pricey

Thats good mate, glad to see it is going well, and good to talk to you on skype.
Blue Sky

Almost in Portual, Just didn't quite make it to he border tonight - went wrong way up the motorway Embarassed

We are now on a campsite about 20k from the Portugese border. I just hope that the filling stations are open for fuel on a Sunday cos we is running on fumes

We are further on than this now but this is the map I did this morning
Went

Just in case your USB is on boil wash.... Rolling Eyes

Here are a couple of pics for Zoe:

Click to see full size image

Click to see full size image
Blue Sky

Thanks Ian

Turns out I didn't put my USB key through the wash after all so will sort some more pics in a bit.

Got some great pics of the Cathedral coast so Thanks Luis for recommending that one. We stayed at a campsite right next to it.
Blue Sky

Pricey where is your place? I need a lemon for my tequila! Laughing
pricey

Go down the motorway till you get to the IC8, turn left. Keep on that road for about 20 miles then take the first turn to Pedrogao Grande, go up past the builders Merchants, then take the first left to Fontainhas, go down 1/2 a mile. When you hit the first S bends you are there, it is on the left, you cant miss it, big barn lots of olive trees etc... The car park is on the second right hander, on the left.

There might be sheep or cattle on land don't worry about them there Arlindo's
Blue Sky

Found it!
Nicked some of your oranges.
Here is the evidence:

pricey

Fantastic Simon, what great Pictures and what a great way to do it Very Happy

So you found my place, you should have taken them all, grass is looking good as well Very Happy
Blue Sky

It was Irene recommended Picasa.
I'm not usually open to photo storage websites but as it is by Google and totally free I had a play. I'm well impressed with it.

As for the oranges .... thumbright
hardworkinghippy

Hi there Pricey !

Have your ladies forgiven us yet for the stoat in the cabin ? Embarassed

Fabrice is still sporting your "sponsored by" tee shirts....

Laughing

Great pics Simon. I loved the music.......
Blue Sky

But what were those wicker cages hanging from the trees? I'm baffled.
hardworkinghippy

Ah! Those were the remains of a Land Art project in the village.
pricey

hardworkinghippy wrote:
Hi there Pricey !

Have your ladies forgiven us yet for the stoat in the cabin ? Embarassed

Fabrice is still sporting your "sponsored by" tee shirts....

That was funny, I will ask them later to see if they remember it, good to see the shirts still in use.

The extension looks great, it was just footings when we were there.
Blue Sky

hardworkinghippy wrote:
Ah! Those were the remains of a Land Art project in the village.

Right. I had been wondering for days.
Encouraging wasps? Confused
Enclosure for minature Doctor whos? Neutral
Lettuce shakers? Question
Giant maracas? Shocked

So it's art. Has it enriched your life any?

Cool
More pictures will be online soon
Picasa is cool

Zoe loved the socks BTW, thanks
Vanessa

Lovely photos, Mr Bluesky.

HWH, that's a fantastic-looking extension going up there! Very Happy
hardworkinghippy

Thanks Vanessa. (Long time no see!) Very Happy

Unfortunately, we've been ordered to stop building because the roof is not exactly as it was on the plans. When we told him we wanted to change it from the original plan, our architect said to go ahead and that nobody in their right mind would complain because the roof is absolutely typical of the area.

Surprise, surprise - our mayor is insisting that we take it down, so we've had to re-apply for PP. Her reasons are that it's "Shocking against the landscape" and "No effort has been made to plant around the building". I've just spent a week listing (In French and Latin) the established plants around the house and we've put the plans in so we should know the outcome in a few week's time. Ho hum.

Simon, the Land Art saga will only be another rant.... Wink

Anyway, this is Mr BlueSky's joyful thread - let's keep the mood sunny - yeah. Laughing

I really enjoyed seeing you again Simon, the kids are great !
Greenfoot

Great slideshow Simon - some good pics - we'll see you all sometime in the not too distant future.

Did the boys get a good selection of pebbles and glass?
Vanessa

Oh Irene, what a pain! Why do they have to be such jobs-worths? Rolling Eyes Mad
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home