Spiced parsnip bubble & squeakSpiced parsnip bubble & squeak
· 800g parsnips , chopped into chunks
· 1 tsp tumeric
· 1⁄2 savoy cabbage or 300g Brussles sprouts, finely shredded
· large handful frozen peas
· juice 1⁄2 lemon
· 50g butter
· 1 tsp cumin
· 1 tbsp garam masala
· 1 bunch coriander , chopped
· 1 red chilli , deseeded and finely chopped
· 2 coriander sprigs, to serve
1. Tip the parsnips into a pan of cold water with the turmeric and a little salt and boil for about 12 mins until they are on the brink of collapsing. While the parsnips are cooking, blanch the cabbage or sprouts in another pan of boiling water for 3 mins until tender, adding the peas for the final min, then drain well.
2. Drain the parsnips well, then tip back into the pan and roughly mash with the lemon juice and half the butter. Then beat in all the other ingredients except the remaining butter, and season with salt. Heat the remaining butter in a non-stick frying pan about 28cm in diameter, and press the parsnip mixture into the pan. Cook until crisp underneath, then turn over with a fish slice. (Don't worry if it breaks at this point, it will hold eventually.) Keep cooking until crisp on the other side, then slide onto a plate and lip back into the pan again. Keep on doing this until you have a crisp, puck-shaped cake. Serve on a plate or board, cut into wedges.
Goes well with hummus & salsa, or on the side with a curry.no smilies