Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Stewy

Spinning For Bass

I'm going spinning for Bass hopefully tomorrow night, I'll be using my carp rod and was wondering what lb line I should have on my reel? (it's got 15lb at the minute)
Also do I use a trace (snap tackle) as if I were pike fishing?

Ta

Stew
dpack

if the rocks are sharp 25 lb min
wire traces are robust but they are not too toothy .
wash freswater kit at the end of fishing
a sliding float to limit the depth the lure can sink is useful overweed or rough ground
bait can help
fresh macrel is a good bass bait (also spun sand eel )they will take other stuff and other fish will as well
pollack are ok bbqued Laughing
Bodger

Stewy
Your 15lb line should be fine . I peronally don't use a wire trace when spinning for bass or mackerel. I use a 7/8s of an ounce lure and find that I can cast this out between 60 and 80 yards with a fixed spool reel . I'll try and get some photographs of the lures that I've used succesfully.
I always look for the sand eels being in close and although I've mentioned the distance that I'm casting I more often than not hook up into the bass very close to the shore.
Stewy

Well, the good news is that I caught my first ever Bass, 3 of em in fact Very Happy The bad news is that the biggest was only about 8 inches long Sad

My old man caught a nice 5lb one though so we didn't go hungry Very Happy

In the end I put 20lb line on and I reckon it's a bit heavy for spinning with my light carp rods so I'm putting the 15lb back on.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Page 1 of 1
Array Home Home Array Home