Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
MargieP

Spinning wheels and lace knitting

Hello I live in near High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. Im a lover of all things knitted, and in particular lace knitting. Ive had yarn and related notions either in my hands or nearby since I can remember, so its deep in my psyche to keep my hands busy all the time.

Im a newbie to spinning and would love to own my own wheel. Retail prices are too high for me, eBay prices fluctuate rather quickly and suppliers of 2nd hand wheels also ask high prices.

Does anyone have a nice, working wheel they want to part with to satisfy in their downsizing lifestyle? Also, any related spinning items like a lazy kate, niddy noddy, wool winders etc. I would be happy to discuss prices and collection with genuine people.

Many thanks

Margie Laughing
sally_in_wales

Welcome to Downsizer!

Are you keeping an eye on Ravelry too? The for sale boards over there often have wheels etc at good prices. With ebay, you can still get bargains but be very aware that there are a lot of decorative rather than functional wheels out there, I've helped at so many spinning weekends where someone has come along all hopeful with their 'new' wheel only to find whilst it goes round, it was never intended for real spinning.
sally_in_wales

might also be worth adding your general location to your profile too, always helps people work out whether you are close enough for loan equipment or an invite to the next fibre day or whatever Smile
wellington womble

Is there a spinning guild there still? I think there used to be one near Wycombe. I came across them at the county show, which will be on again at the end of August. They may be able to advise, or even hire or lend equipment.

Some of the small yarn shops might be able to put you in touch with someone local too. I used to go to Rainbow Silks in great missenden or the lady who has alpacas in Butlers Cross (I can't remember the name now. She has a small shop and used to run a knitting group) if they are still there - we used to live near Wendover.
MargieP

Welcome to Downsizer!

Are you keeping an eye on Ravelry too? The for sale boards over there often have wheels etc at good prices. With ebay, you can still get bargains but be very aware that there are a lot of decorative rather than functional wheels out there, I've helped at so many spinning weekends where someone has come along all hopeful with their 'new' wheel only to find whilst it goes round, it was never intended for real spinning.

I have been watching many sites, but not Ravelry. Thanks for the suggestion.
MargieP

Is there a spinning guild there still? I think there used to be one near Wycombe. I came across them at the county show, which will be on again at the end of August. They may be able to advise, or even hire or lend equipment.

Some of the small yarn shops might be able to put you in touch with someone local too. I used to go to Rainbow Silks in great missenden or the lady who has alpacas in Butlers Cross (I can't remember the name now. She has a small shop and used to run a knitting group) if they are still there - we used to live near Wendover.

I know Rainbow Silks, and thanks for the suggestion to contact them.
MargieP

Welcome to Downsizer!

Ive seen some real corkers on Ebay, san flyer and bobbins, quoted as in good working condition. Non-spinners dont know a car wheel from a spinning wheel, it seems. I think Ashfords are probably the best to look for as they are two a penny, and easily updated/refurbed or repaired.
MargieP

might also be worth adding your general location to your profile too, always helps people work out whether you are close enough for loan equipment or an invite to the next fibre day or whatever Smile

That's a good idea, I will check my profile page and add location to it.
crofter

Did you get a wheel? I will be at this auction next week, let me know if you want to bid & I'll try to buy...

https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/11822724_417467608445951_7448842793907579394_n.jpg?oh=33e378f758346ceff564d14411621fc6&oe=56417B76

https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11800417_417468641779181_985450852293575808_n.jpg?oh=37531dc38779b9bc2c9964383bea548b&oe=565566FD
Lloyd

I have an Ashford which was my mothers that I don't want. Not sure on more info except I know that she used to use it to spin wool from local sheep. She had one antique ornamental one and then she had this one for practical use. If you are interested I will dig it out and post some pix? crofter

Wheel sold for 220 and the yarn winders 16. Don't know if that is good or bad?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home