Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
cab

Spuds in a bin

This is clearly my day for asking questions, I'm already on a hat-trick!

I'm growing spuds in an old bin. I planted them on six inches of compost on the bottom, and I've earthed up as they've grown. Now the depth is around two feet.

If I keep eathing up to the top (another two feet) will I get away with it?
Jonnyboy

Yes, I've done it loads of times. I do find they are slightly smaller than field grown spuds but a success nonetheless.

Incidently, I've just learned the odd fact that the term 'spuds' is an American term originally used to describe the tool used for digging potatoes up.
cab

Jonnyboy wrote:

Incidently, I've just learned the odd fact that the term 'spuds' is an American term originally used to describe the tool used for digging potatoes up.

I think I've heard that somewhere too. For the life of me can't remember where. Think it's in a Buckatski (sp?) book.

Cheers for the advice on the bucket. I'll keep piling on the soil and compost as the plant rises.
Jonnyboy

Just one thought, you have put drainage holes in it?
cab

There's a little crack in the bottom through which water seems to be able to drain. That's why we bought a new bin.
Jonnyboy

I normally put a few stones in the bottom to ensure it drains OK. I would either check it doesn't get waterlogged or maybe drill a few holes around the base.
cab

Jonnyboy wrote:
I normally put a few stones in the bottom to ensure it drains OK. I would either check it doesn't get waterlogged or maybe drill a few holes around the base.

If we ever get any meaningful rain here, then I'll certainly have a good look. It's rare that any of our containers get waterlogged, and few of them have holes in. We're in the dryest part of England Sad
sean

cab wrote:

I think I've heard that somewhere too. For the life of me can't remember where.

here?
chrissy

On the subect of containers Tesco's (sorry!) have got some 50cm pots, probably about 40-50 litre capacity for under £3 each at the moment. Very deep, and I reckon you could grow just about anything in them.
Jonnyboy

sean wrote:
cab wrote:

I think I've heard that somewhere too. For the life of me can't remember where.

here?

I hadn't read that topic, honestly!
cab

sean wrote:

here?

Yeah, that might be it.
twoscoops

Didn't Titmarsh mention it on his 'I'nt Britain Great' TV series? I seem to recall the Irish shortened spade to spud in the nineteenth century, the filthy tinkers.
nettie

I did quite well growing spuds in a few pots like the one you've mentioned, Chrissy. Have got my second earlies in there again this year, and the maincrop are on the allotment.
Treacodactyl

chrissy wrote:
On the subect of containers Tesco's (sorry!) have got some 50cm pots, probably about 40-50 litre capacity for under £3 each at the moment. Very deep, and I reckon you could grow just about anything in them.

I'm using some black builders buckets, 99p each and with holes drilled in make good posts. I have about a dozen of them growing all sorts of stuff. We also picked up two 45cm planters for £5 at morrisons. Look quite good so I'm not sure what will go in them, a fig possibly.
Bernie66

If you get the timing right and put in some of the smaller potatos from your maincrop into the container you can get new potato's for christmas. I know its a bit gimmicky but they taste great Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home