Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Nick

SS hard drives

son #2 has a desktop PC, which he uses for gaming. He's said he'd like to add a SS/SSHD so certain games load and run quicker.

Is this likely to be correct?

If so, do they add in just like a regular HD? He can, presumably have it as a second HD, no need to move the OS over, and such? Of is that advisable, and simple, anyway?

If that's all correct, thoughts on brands, and specification, please?
vegplot

Load quicker? Yes. Run faster? Possibly, if the application does a lot of read writes to disk. More memory is the short cut to better performance. Straight swap with a like for like with a hard drive e.g. SATA.

Last ones I bought were from Cricial M4 disks I believe but that was some while ago.
joanne

I love SSD'S, mine made a massive difference to my aging Macbook Pro, you can make them the primary drive or have them as the secondary, just depends on what OS you are using, if you are doing a fresh install definitely make the primary drive.

Mine was bought from eBuyer, they have loads of deals
Nick

I'm not doing a fresh install. It would be a secondary drive, unless that didn't make sense.

Windows 7
vegplot

You'll get better (more noticeable) performance improvements if it's the main OS disk.
Nick

Don't suppose I can just copy and paste the whole of C: can I?
joanne

You might want to do something like this then http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows
Nick

Thanks. Birthday is end of April. I shall be yelling for help shortly after, I imagine. Smile
Nick

240gig drive plugged into a spare SATA slot on the mobo,has power. Can be seen in Device Manager, but not shown as a hard drive in My Computer.

I've created one large partition and ntfs formatted the ssd from a prompt, but it still cannot be seen as a usable drive.

I have multiple SATA sockets on the mobo, does it matter which I use?
dpack

and i was thinking LTDF Rolling Eyes
tahir

I have multiple SATA sockets on the mobo, does it matter which I use?

No.

You need Computer Management>Disk Management, it should appear there as an unallocated drive, you can partition it there.
Nick

It had a partition, just needed to be called E:

I thought Windows did that automatically.
tahir

I thought Windows did that automatically.

Only for USB
Nick

Blimey. How on earth does he fill 700gb of memory?

What on earth am I going to find...
Cathryn

Does he know you're looking? Smile Nick

He does. He had some notice, but he doesn't appear worried.

Seems to have some movies and music I don't remember buying...

Rolling Eyes
dpack

Laughing Laughing Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home