Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Fee

Starting a food produce business

I know a few of you sell foodstuffs. What do I need to do/know to get started?

You might know that Willow is 100% tubefed and has a blended diet, essentially whatever we have whizzed up with added good fats, oils, honey, seeds, all sorts. She requires extra calories because it takes so much more effort for every movement, even breathing is a chore to Willow.

I am contemplating a baby food style affair, organic pouches/jars with extra calories and nutrition that children like Willow need, a complete food but real food, not formula. Often various intolerences go hand in hand with neuro-disabilities, these could be carered for too.

It's a growing market, at an alarming rate.
lettucewoman

Something like this?? http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/real-food-blends-meals-for-tube-fed-people

I expect someone will be along in a minute but off the top of my head you'd need registering with the EH if you plan to do this from home along with arious other things...pilsbury knows a lot about it!
Fee

Yep, exactly that, there's a few popping up in the states!
dpack

eho on side ,a grade 2 hygiene cert helps ,good product

or good product and dont kill the punters

good product is top of my list
Pilsbury

This may be a bit more complicated than a simple food business, it may be straying into the medical field which is a compleate nightmare.
The main issues EHO are going to have is often tub fed people have other medical issues that is goimg to make them a very venerabl group as far as pathogens are concerned so i would expect surfaces that are very easy to clean down and sanitise, the ability to pasturise or uht your product and regular and comprehensive biological testing but that will probably be the worst case.
The basics you need will be to register with the council as a food business, approval from EHO, an understanding and compleated hazard analasys.
As for premises, minimum a sink and a half, 2 sinks would be better, easily cleanable surfaces and walls and floor, fridges and freezers with recorded temps ( a daily probe with a thermomerter and records will do.
I can look into it a bit more if you want me to and feel free to pm or mail me if i can help any more.
Rob R

Re: Starting a food produce business

The first requirement is the desire to work very hard, a good chunk of money & a desire not to have any more. Oh, and a love of cleaning.
dpack

The first requirement is the desire to work very hard, a good chunk of money & a desire not to have any more. Oh, and a love of cleaning.

Laughing
Fee

Laughing

Thanks, guys.
Rob R

It's been one of those weeks... Smile Fee

Wink dpack

it is always one of those weeks in food or most other small busimesses (not just a typo but an observation based on experience ) Rob R

Wink

Thursday was good. Smile

It went like this;

Saturday; scale not powering up
Sunday; scale not powering up
Monday; scale rep arrives, scale works perfectly
Tuesday; scale not powering up
Wednesday; scale not powering up
Thursday; scale engineer arrives, scale works perfectly
Friday; scale not switched off since Thursday
Mistress Rose

Intermittent faults are the hardest to cure, and of course the thing always works perfectly when someone looks at it. Try the obvious things like the wires to the plug are all right, all plugs fully pushed in, flex to scale in good condition, socket it is plugged into works with other things. If it is none of those it is probably internal, and for the scale rep to look at. Hairyloon

It's been one of those weeks... Smile
Seconded. The new part I had made for the press does not work as well as I'd hoped... so another trip to the engineers. Sad
Rob R

Update;

Hairyloon

Update;

Is this a scale for weighing things?
Could you not use a balance and weights?
Rob R

It also labels them, which is the main issue. It looks like it'll need a more expensive new part, but if the problem doesn't present itself when the engineer is here, it's difficult to know if it's worth spending the money. Although now it's done it again it probably will be a case of replacing the next part in the chain. Hairyloon

It also labels them, which is the main issue.
Presumably, if I suggested a pen, then I'd get a slap... Wink
Rob R

It also labels them, which is the main issue.
Presumably, if I suggested a pen, then I'd get a slap... Wink

No, you'd get a pen Razz
earthyvirgo

You might know that Willow is 100% tubefed and has a blended diet, essentially whatever we have whizzed up with added good fats, oils, honey, seeds, all sorts. She requires extra calories because it takes so much more effort for every movement, even breathing is a chore to Willow.

I am contemplating a baby food style affair, organic pouches/jars with extra calories and nutrition that children like Willow need, a complete food but real food, not formula. Often various intolerences go hand in hand with neuro-disabilities, these could be carered for too.

It's a growing market, at an alarming rate.

Fee, worth a look at last weeks Dragon's Den, some very pertinent advice and comments about shelf life.

EV
Hairyloon

You might know that Willow is 100% tubefed and has a blended diet, essentially whatever we have whizzed up with added good fats, oils, honey, seeds, all sorts.
Do you want some of mine?
Fee

You might know that Willow is 100% tubefed and has a blended diet, essentially whatever we have whizzed up with added good fats, oils, honey, seeds, all sorts.

Quite possibly, totally out the loop on here, what do you do?
Rob R

It also labels them, which is the main issue. It looks like it'll need a more expensive new part, but if the problem doesn't present itself when the engineer is here, it's difficult to know if it's worth spending the money. Although now it's done it again it probably will be a case of replacing the next part in the chain.

Further update, for those who don't use facebook, it went again so I called them out again and they replaced the next, expensive part. Fortunately, as the scale is out of warranty, it was a part that has been replaced before which is subject to it's own warranty. Smile
Hairyloon

Quite possibly, totally out the loop on here, what do you do?
Probably Virgin, cold pressed Rapeseed Oil. Made in Yorkshire from localish grown seed. I'm told it is healthier than olive oil.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home