Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
JB

Starting a reluctant hedgetrimmer

OK it wont start. A squirt of lighter fuel in the cylinder gets it to fire sdo I obviously have, spark and compression. SO what's next to try?
sean

Fresh fuel? If it's been hanging around for too long that's a problem.
dpack

easy start spray down the air intake can be effective with older engines

clean air filter
clean fuel tank, pipe and carb ( a bit of muck in the carb jet is a common problem )

as above fresh fuel but old stuff usually leads to racing rather than a non starter
Slim

as above fresh fuel but old stuff usually leads to racing rather than a non starter

Not when there's ethanol mixed in that takes on water over winter, but I'm guessing your don't have that mandate over your way

Edit: Google says you do have ethanol as well. This may be useful: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-201505181900--tms--askbildrctnab-a20150529-20150529-story.html
Nick

Our fuel can have up to 10% ethanol in it. It's particularly common in cheap fuel, such as supermarkets.
Slim

If that's the case, I'd fill up the tank of every small engine you own every autumn and add something like sta-bil fuel stabilizer at the same time.
dpack

that certainly wont help,

the old stuff i replaced last time i used the chainsaw started fine but i recon the "moderating" additives had gone off , hence the racing/knocking and hitting the stop button asap

note to self ,find a use for a couple of litres of old fuel Rolling Eyes
Hairyloon

Our fuel can have up to 10% ethanol in it. It's particularly common in cheap fuel, such as supermarkets.

I am told from one source that the premium unleaded has less alcohol, but I'm told from another (who I believe has done reasonable internet research) that there are no hard and fast rules: there is huge variation even within the same brand. Sad
Hairyloon

Personally, I think if I used my reluctant hedge trimmer any more than I do, I'd throw it away and get a battery one: it is a better tool on several counts. Mistress Rose

If the hedge trimmer is a 2 stroke also check the spark plug. I drove a moped for some years and got quite good at cleaning and resetting the spark plug gap. Very Happy If a 4 stroke, probably a good idea to have a look anyway. Our chemistry teacher at school once read us a very amusing bit about starting a motor mower, which I think covered the situation quite well, but sadly can't remember the details after something like 50 years.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home