Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Anazoth

Starting out

Hey everyone

I want to start growing a few bits and bobs as a hobby. The problem is that my garden is very small, it has a patch of soil probably around 4ft by 8ft which is covered in decorative stones. I was thinking of digging it up and putting down soil and planting a few things.

Have you any tips for this? is there a certain type of soil i should get? should i do any other prep work? Or would you suggest i start with plant pots?

Also what would you suggest for someone just starting out? Preferably stuff that is hard to kill since i am only a beginner Smile
Went

Hello and welcome.... Very Happy

Sounds like a plan - that size plot is fine and you'll be surprised what you can grow in a limited space and in pots. The soil might be compacted as its not been used for sometime by the sound of it.

Clear it, dig it, add manure or organic matter if you can get it or a bag of compost from the garden centre.

Don't forget veg can be grown in pots as well.
Mistress Rose

You can also make or buy planters to put down on hard areas. There are 'veg trug' type things which are raised above the ground, or ones to put at ground level like a small raised bed.

Otherwise, agree with Wentworth. You might find it worth while getting a few plants from friends rather than buying a packet of seeds if you can. Most people grow far too many cabbage, lettuce and other easily transplantable things in the spring.
Woodburner

Welcome!
Grow stuff you actually like, that grows well in our climate (generally the traditional stuff).
It's nicer to grow stuff that is harder to come by in the supermarkets, like the rarer specific variety potatoes, or stuff thats is nowhere near the quality you could get by growing your own, e.g. runner beans - always far too old when picked, actually most people pick their own too old as well! Confused
Most important is to grow what you like enough to actually eat though. Wink

It is actually possible to grow on top of concrete, without necessarily bringing in topsoil from elsewhere (e.g. strawbale culture or lasagne gardening) and even the nastiest subsoil can be converted into good topsoil with a bit of time and lots of organic matter. Smile
Nature'sgrafter

I agree with woodburner start by growing what you like. If you don't know people that grow veg you can get seedlings from most good garden centres at the right time of year. there are some good varieties of tomatoes that grow outside in pots (like Shirley f1) and you can grow spuds in sacks ( the sacks normally come with instructions) so you can expand what your growing.
strawberry's in pots will give you something nice to nibble on.
Make a wigwam of canes for growing runner beans or climbing French beans and you will get a good yield from a small area. spinach or chard are a good beginners crop as are leeks (ask for advice when your ready to plant). if you can arrange netting for protection broccoli or cauliflower.
Avoid courgettes and butter nut squashes, pumpkins or ground growing cucumbers as they all need a lot of space.
Read and plan a must is to know how much area a plant needs so you can decide on the quantities.
DorsetScott

If you're sure that you want to grow in that area of ground then dig it up and get stuck in. If you're new to growing however it might be worth starting off with a few pots and making sure you do want to grow after the first season. If you find it too much faff then you've still got the decorative stones Smile

If you do dig up the area, you'd do well to look into Square Foot Gardening. That bed would be a great size as 4ft is about as wide as you can go. I have 4ft by 11ft beds in my allotment and Square Foot Garden. The basic premise is you garden in squares, not rows, which menas that you can actually fit more produce into the plot than you would using traditional methods whilst still keeping plant spacings correct. I think the author of the book was Mel Bartholomew, but that's off the top of my head
Nicky cigreen

welcome Smile
perlogalism

Welcome.
It might be worth saying where in the world you live. That way, some nice local downsizer might be able to offer seedlings and / or advice Wink
dpack

shelves or growbags on walls are useful

re the soil get as much well rotted manure into it as you can

dig it out deep and layer it back with the manure, plant fast growing top crops ,worms will do the mixing ready for root veg or whatever later in the season

ive done this a few places and it seems to work on clay /sand/ashes n glass etc etc
oldish chris

welcome! I find that little challenges like getting an amazing amount of produce from a stupidly tiny bit of land does rather keep boredom at bay.

The first question has to be: "what to you want to grow?" (basic veggies, herbs and fruits, flowers?)

The second is "what resources do you have?" (Time, money, access to manure?)

Mustn't forget details like water and sunlight!

Most of the answers will probably be found at Garden Organic, maybe starting here: square foot gardening

Good luck, and I expect to be learning from you in a years time!
gregotyn

Hi, I only 'garden' in containers and only grow veg. I use boxes about 4ft long and 2ft deep and 2ft wide and grow as much as I can, runner beans, spuds, a few brassicas in previous years, then mainly salad crops in small pots and whatever I can find to satisfy the amount of seedlings I have. the main thing is to find a farmer and beg a bag or two of cow manure and also of pig manure. the pig manure is for potatoes and the cow manure for every thing else except carrots and parsnips, (they would grow fangy in manure)' which if you want long ones grow in drainpipes! I would be inclined to use plants when you start, as this will mean you get the plants which are past the early stages when they are most vulnerable. I only ever grow beans from bought in plants, and usually some lettuce. I should add that I have the runners of the wooden boxes covered in old copper wire which acts as a slug control mechanism and it works Have fun!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home