Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
jp

Still loads out there

Went for a forage today - tons of winter chanterelles, hedgehog mushrooms & ceps. Still tons out there - its amazing! Best season we've had for years Very Happy

[img]
[/img]
Tony_C

Re: Still loads out there

Went for a forage today - tons of winter chanterelles, hedgehog mushrooms & ceps. Still tons out there - its amazing! Best season we've had for years Very Happy

Wow. I think I'm a bit late to the mushrooms this year. (also new to this forum - Hi everyone btw! Smile )
@jp I notice from your profile you're in Salisbury. Is that where you are finding those lovely looking mushrooms? I sometimes head down that way (I'm near Bristol). I went for a rummage around Grovely Wood near Salisbury about a week ago but it looked pretty bare. No ceps, just a lot of fly agaric! Very Happy
jp

Hi Tony - welcome Very Happy Grovely woods don't do ceps though I've found Bay Boletes, Shaggy Parasols, The Prince, Horse mushrooms, & tons of Wood Blewits (yummy - but a little early yet).
Tony_C

Thanks JP. I've found parasols and shaggy parasols closer to home and v. delicious they were too. Looking forward to Blewits (presumably when it gets colder).
jp

Tony, yes winter is usually when I've found Blewits. Funnily enough the only place in my area I've found parasols is in Grovely - shame really because I love them.
dpack

got 4 blewits in york today
jp

Field Blewits or Wood Blewits?
bubble

got lots of blewits yesterday but have trouble down loading ,keeps saying name of file not found.
Jamanda

Lots of clouded funnels about here, and did see someone collecting them yesterday, but the mixed reviews about edibility make me suspect.
DorsetScott

Still no blewitts for me Sad

Jamanda, why not just try a little. You never know, you may like them.
Lorrainelovesplants

I really need to go on a guided fungi forage......

I have loads of mushies growing here but darent eat anything.
DorsetScott

It's a good attitude to take LLP! There are a few mushrooms you should be able to identify using books alone, but I guess half the battle is knowing which ones these are in the first place. I guarantee if you find a hedgehog mushroom you'll know it's a hedgehog though, definitely no mistaking that!!

Have a search on t'interweb, there are a few forays put on each year by the wildlife trust which are usually cheap Link (looks like there's one tomorrow at Carrick and one on the 16th at Restormel, don't know how close they are to you) and I think the Lost Gardens of Helligan normally do foraging things.

Cost effective way of learning mushrooms (although probably better for next year) could also be to join the local mushroom group (sure there'll be a Cornwall Fungus Group). Membership for the year isn't normally too expensive, and there will be a fair few walks which don't cost anything.
Stewy

Found my first ever winter chanterelles on Sunday, mega chuffed! Smile

bubble

loads of geotropas as well
fungi2bwith

Loads of winter chanterelles here too. Also some normal chanterelles, geotropa, wood blewits and horse mushrooms. Not many boletes left though.
DorsetScott

Still no sign of blewitts in any of my patches here!!!!

Got a parasol, amethysts, oyster, porcelein and trooping funnel at the weekend. Found a cep but it was proper maggoty Crying or Very sad
DorsetScott

Spoke too soon. Quick lunchtime walk got me a couple of pretty good condition Bay Boletes and a big ol' slightly chewed but perfectly good cep
Northern Boy

It's pretty much all over in this corner of SW Wales. Mopped up the last of the hedgehogs at the weekend.
dpack

2kg blewits today

it would have been twice that but some had been trodden and some turned as if to look under and then abandoned:roll:

still not bad,best ones for tea and 1.5 sliced and drying before a pickle in some thing tasty.
dpack

the oysters round here seem to benefit from a sharp frost
bubble

theres still stuff about.Agaricus silvaticus yesterday
Truffle

Nice.
I had a few b.edulis (amazingly) and one badius at the end of last week + a good amount of oysters.
bubble

nice oysters today on Sycamore stump

sean

Lovely. Not seen any parasols round here for ages. Mind we've not really had any frost yet.
Jamanda

They aren't parasols Confused
sean

I meant oyster mushrooms. Embarassed
bubble

Thanks Sean...caught me out Mandy!!!!!!!Just got too excited ....been a fantastic 'shrooming year ,got one cep also today......that is late!!!! Smile
bubble

got this cep yesterday .....very late

bubble

got these a couple of days ago

bubble

and these

bubble

Todays haul ,some more Oyster mushrooms

dpack

yum ,they dont seem to be out here yet
bubble

Been picking them for 2-3 weeks now in Bedfordshire ,you should be picking them dpack, nice to be on here, and to see u on here as well......where have all the others disappeared..!
dpack

saw nowt yesterday but the best log was well under water so i didnt check that one Shocked
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home