Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
moonwind

Stop unwanted Junk Mail

The Royal Mail are now carrying an awful lot of unsolicited mail, it is beyond a joke and can soon make little mountains of waste on any table each day.

The Mailing Preference Service is a way you can say what you want to receive and what you don't, we have just registered and thought I would post a link to the site for anyone else who may like to register with them.

If Government really cared about waste surely they would stop this negligent waste of paper?

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/mps_choosetype.html
chrissy

Thanks Moonwind, I have registered as well now, and passed the link on. Smile
Stacey

I registered with that months ago and am still receiving junk mail via the post man Mad
alisjs

thanks...easy enough, hope it works!
Beckyess

I registered several days ago as I'm getting an awful lot of junk and I've only just moved in!
Becky
Fee

Excellent, cheers for that, I've just registered NOT to receive mail for previous occupiers, we've lived here for almost 3 years, always 'return to sender' and still get junk through for previous occupiers, and previous previous occupiers too!
Jb

Stacey wrote:
I registered with that months ago and am still receiving junk mail via the post man Mad

The telephone preference service works quite effectively but the mps doesn't seem to have much effect at all.
MrsWW

I believe there's also a fax preference service too. We get loads of junk faxes at work and it uses up SOOOO much toner!

I generally don't bother to fax back "unsubscribe" as so often invited to do in the small print - probably at £5 per minute or some other ridiculous amount! I just find an envelope (second hand of course) - stick it down with pritt stick, cross out the original name/address and put the one on that's also printed on the bottom of the fax, forgetting to put a stamp on of course and drop it in the post box! They've usually got our fax number across the top so I guess they've got a reasonable idea as to who no longer wishes to receive their cr@p!
sean

I think MPS does work. But, stuff addressed to 'The Occupier' or the like will still be delivered, as will the unaddressed stuff that the PO get paid for delivering.
moonwind

I wonder if people wrote to the Prime Minister and asked what the Government, who says it is interested in the Environment, is thinking of allowing all this paper to be wasted via ever increasing junk mail, just to keep Royal Mail afloat!

Maybe it could be written that unless Government, who seem to be the only ones with any power to halt this wicked waste, act to put a stop to it, at very least to allow householders who say "NO" junk mail have their rights upheld legally.

Maybe a date could be given when the public would expect the Government to act against Royal Mail abusing our letter boxes (ooeer missus!!) by delivering the waste, just because the Companies producing the junk pays them, or the public could start a protest and start collection all their junkmail each week and posting it to Downing Street so that selective myopia doesn't creep into the seriousness of the waste of paper.

This also applies locally where all the waste paper and leaflets, booklets etc., etc., are printed in both Welsh and English.

It is an absolute waste of money in Wales and money saved could be spent on things that benefit everyone, air ambulance Ty Hafen childrens hospice, rather than trying to appease a minority.

It is a dangerous practice because what would happen if ALL other languages made the Assembly print all the missives in their language too?

Waste Waste Waste, and profit for printers is as useless to the planet as tits on a boar hog.
wellington womble

You can say no to the royal mail stuff, but they put the wind up you by saying then they can't deliver public information stuff like council bits and pieces. I'm tempted to do it anyway - if the council need to tell me something, I'm sure they can find a better way than junk mail, right? I might even write to the council and say so.

The MPS does help, although its not instant, and it won't stop people you've ordered from before sending catalogues etc. It was really noticable when I ordered a present for a niece from the great little trading centre that suddenly I had oodles of child related marketing (I don't have kids) - registering with MPS stopped it quite effectively. I was also getting masses of other stuff, as I buy a lot of stuff off the internet (much more fun than real shopping!) and now I only get stuff from companies I've bought from before. I don't even get credit card bumf now. Definitely worth doing.
moonwind

I think this was just awful!

Postman suspended for telling customers how to stop junk mail
By PAUL SIMS Last updated at 22:00pm on 28th August 2006

When postman Roger Annies told residents on his round how to avoid junk mail he considered it part of customer service.

But bosses at the Royal Mail - which makes millions of pounds a year from unwanted post - were less than impressed with his dedication.

They immediately suspended the 48-year-old father of two, who has worked as a postman for the more than 10 years, and he is now facing the sack.

Mr Annies decided to act after receiving dozens of complaints from householders who were fed up with the piles of junk mail dropping through their letter boxes everyday.

So, hoping he may have the answer to their prayers, he delivered his own leaflet to residents in Barry, South Wales, explaining how they could opt out of getting mailshots known as 'door-to-door' items by filling out a form.

In it he wrote: "You may have noticed your postman now has to deliver anonymous advertising material called Door-to-Door items. This means a lot more unwanted post in your letterbox.

"You might be interested in reducing your unwanted mail, and reduce paper usage in order to help save the environment. If you complete the slip below and send it to the Royal Mail delivery office you will no longer receive Door-to-Door advertising items."

Within days his local sorting office was inundated with at least 70 completed forms demanding an end to junk mail. Curious, his bosses decided to make a few inquiries and discovered the leaflet produced by Mr Annies. He was then suspended on full pay pending an investigation into alleged misconduct.

Tonight, residents of Churchfields, where Mr Annies delivers, backed his courageous stance and called for him to be reinstated immediately.

Anthony Vaughan, 64, said: "No-one wants this junk mail building up. It's a nuisance. I'm astonished that no-one was told before about opting out. Royal Mail have been quiet about that while bombarding us with junk.

"Roger was just letting us know what Royal Mail should have told us in the first place. He should definitely not lose his job for being a good postman who thinks about the people he's delivering to first and foremost."

Another resident Brenda Phillips, 63, agreed with the stance taken by Mr Annies and called on Royal Mail to tell the public how they can avoid receiving junk mail.

She said: "I quite agree with the sentiment. Royal Mail should have let us know about opting out. I'm surprised a postman took it on himself to tell us and it's no wonder he's been suspended.

"But he shouldn't get sacked for doing this - he was thinking about the people he delivers to. Royal Mail should do what he has done and write to us all explaining how this works.

"We should have been told - but it should have been official."

Yesterday, Mr Annies refused to comment about his suspension but a colleague said all he was trying to do was respond to the complaints of residents on his round.

The postman, who did not want to be named, said: "I can't see what he's done wrong. He was just providing a service to the customers. They filled in a form saying they don't want it anymore. No one wants this junk mail.

"Customers are always moaning, but sadly junk mail is more money for the Royal Mail." A Royal Mail spokesman would not comment further on the allegations facing Mr Annies other than to say he had been suspended on full pay pending further investigations.

He added: Customers can chose to opt out of Royal Mail's Door-to-Door service which is used by businesses and charities to distribute unaddressed promotional items by contacting the post office.

"But a note on the door saying 'No Junk Mail' or an unauthorised letter is not part of that process. "

The Royal Mail claims it can deliver junk mail to up to 27 million homes across the country every day. After paying a minimum fee of £500 companies are charged up to £91.80 per thousand items, with an extra £8.50 per thousand for items that require extra folding.

source
hayles62

Thanks for that Smile
Rosa

Thanks Moonwind.
sally lever

Another idea for tackling junk mail

One tip for tackling persistent junk mail is to open the envelope, find the pre-paid envelope inside (if there is one) and then stuff the whole of the mailshot inside the pre-paid envelope. I usually write on the top sheet asking for them to remove me from their mailing list, but I very rarely get anything else sent to me from the same company after they've had to pay to receive their own mailshot back!! Smile

Thought others might like to try that one Smile

Sally
patmac

Hi, this is my first posting to this amazing group. What a wealth of information there is, especially in the archives. However I am drifting off topic.
I joined the MPS years ago, it took about 4-6 weeks to have quite a noticable effect.
However the unadressed mail stuffed through our letterboxes can be stopped according to a Daily Mail article on October 9th 2006.
There are three options: You can write quoting your full name and address, signing it and dating it as well. "Request them to stop Door to Door mail being delivered to my address". Post it to:
Door to Door Opt Outs, Royal Mail Door to Door, Kingsmead House, Oxpens Road, Oxford OX1 1RX.
You can also email same information to optout@royalmail.co.uk.
Lastly you can telephone on 08457 950 950.
I had saved that page in the Daily Mail and the current discussion reminded me that I still have not actioned it.
Bernie66

Hello and nice to see you posting. Laughing
steve.k

All this junk mail has a very important part to play. When planning where you intend to put your runner beans next season dig a trench and place all the junk mail in the trench. Back fill and plant your seeds. The Junk mail will help to maintain moisture during the important times. The challenge. The following autumn/spring, to and try to find the junk mail.
sally lever

Hi Patmac,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for that gem of information Smile

I've just emailed Royal Mail as you suggested. Will let you know what happens.

Here's hoping,

Sally
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home