Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Chickpea

Straining Chicken

Please can you advise before I go dashing to the vet...

One of my hens is straining hard as if to push an egg out. I've picked her up and examined the vent but can't see or directly feel an egg. She's going off her feet too. The others are looking interested in her backside too. In the nest box, there's some liquid where she's been laid. There's no broken bits of shell either.

I've given her some olive oil to drink, and put some round the vent, just in case, well, can't do harm, can it?

It's been going on for about two hours, shall I get her immediately to the vet???
Worried...
Treacodactyl

It does sound like an egg has broken inside here but I don't know what to do, this thread might help although a trip to the vet might be best. Worth phoning the vet first to make sure they know how to tread chickens.

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=23212
Chickpea

Update...

She wasn't eggbound or had a broken egg inside. I just got back from the vet, who said she had simply grown old and had reached the end of her life! He gently helped her on her way with an injection. She wasn't eating, and had lost balance, so it was the kindest way.

It cost me £12.00 each to buy the hens, they have given hundreds of eggs, the least I could do is pay the £28.00 fee to have her despatched humanely... Sad, but the rest are all the same age, I guess they will start to fail too....

I know it's strange, but I cared for her, as I do for the rest, they aren't just egg laying machines to me, they are cared for pets most of all. I'll miss her...
Jonnyboy

It's not strange at all, it's perfectly sane, reasonable and caring.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home