Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Nick

Streaming music

im potentially after a music streaming service. They seem to have similar ranges, but any preference here for Spotify, rdio, deezer, last fm or anything else?

I want online streaming, offline playing and the artist to get paid.
sgt.colon

I've had both Spotify and Google and I have to say that if you're anal like me then Spotify was loads better for being able to create your own folders and sort your music. Also Google wouldn't allow certain songs to be played offline.
tahir

I too am considering this so interested in people's experience
Chez

We use Spotify.
Nick

I've had both Spotify and Google and I have to say that if you're anal like me then Spotify was loads better for being able to create your own folders and sort your music. Also Google wouldn't allow certain songs to be played offline.

I'm probably not as anal, BUT, I do want to be able to simply select an album to play, in order, as it was created. Last time I poked spotify this wasn't obvious/easy. Can you do that without having to create a playlist? Rdio, you just click and it plays as the artist intended.
kGarden

My kids have Spotify and are very happy with it. Both are musical, so I'm pretty sure I'd hear from them if they weren't happy with it and/or their peers were using something better.

We also have Sonos in the house (ripped all CDs to a PC and then Sonos picks up those tracks and plays them on any Sonos device in the house), and Sonos also hooks up to the kids' Spotify accounts (and to any internet radio station)

Haven't tried anything else though, so have no comparison to offer.
sgt.colon

I'm probably not as anal, BUT, I do want to be able to simply select an album to play, in order, as it was created. Last time I poked spotify this wasn't obvious/easy. Can you do that without having to create a playlist? Rdio, you just click and it plays as the artist intended.

Nick, what you can do on Spotify is download their program onto your computer and from there you can set up folders, I.E. Male artists A-G and then move albums into that folder. Then if you install the Spotify app on your your phone or tablet, all your folders will be there with said albums. This you could not do with Google music.
12Bore

Spotify Premium currently 0.99 for 3 months, offer ends 23 Jan. Nick

Cheers. joanne

I love Spotify, I just add everything I love and want to hear again to a playlist but if it's a new artist I pick an album and listen to that by itself so yes you can do exactly what you want to be able to do Marionb

I am totally naive about this sort of thing.... does joining Spotify mean that you can download your favourite songs onto your laptop (or whatever) and save them there to listen to whenever you want?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, I honestly dont have a clue... Embarassed
joanne

No its a streaming service so the music never becomes yours you just get access to it Nell Merionwen

No its a streaming service so the music never becomes yours you just get access to it
Imagine turning on the radio but you get to choose the play list.
Marionb

I think I'm getting the picture... Confused

Is it saved on a site so that you log onto the site and choose what you want to listen to?
joanne

I think I'm getting the picture... Confused

Is it saved on a site so that you log onto the site and choose what you want to listen to?

Kind of, yes, although it can also be played offline as well if you sync the playlist to your device however it's encrypted so only the program on the device in question can read and understand it but it's like being given access to the biggest jukebox you've ever seen as there is so much music available it would cost a fortune to buy it all.
tahir

Signed up for spotify, just realised that you can only play on 1 device at a time. Well that ain't gonna work! I thought teh kids would be able to play whatever any of them fancied, while I could play mine.

Google apparently allows this but there's no windows API which means that my music players (squeezebox) can't play from Google Play

Bit snookered.
tahir

s'ok (sort of) spotify family lets me add extra users for a fiver a month!

I guess it'll still be cheaper than buying downloads or CDs and I'd rather they weren't getting "free downloads"
Nick

Rdio has the same functionality, too. tahir

Rdio has the same functionality, too.

Hmm, not another blinking thing to investimagate Rolling Eyes
sgt.colon

s'ok (sort of) spotify family lets me add extra users for a fiver a month!

I guess it'll still be cheaper than buying downloads or CDs and I'd rather they weren't getting "free downloads"

Just get your kids to download tunes to their devices and play offline. As long as they turn their Wi-Fi off whilst they are playing then all is well.
tahir

As long as they turn their Wi-Fi off whilst they are playing then all is well.

This is the same kids that don't turn off the telly, lights, put a new bog rol on....
tahir

Synching local files shows a lot of stuff is not available on spotify; the beatles, jackson 5 amongst others. I didn't expect every very random track I own to be on there but there really is a lot of stuff I thought would be there that isn't.

One day there'll be a universal music/video streaming service Rolling Eyes
tahir

No Otway & Barrett, or Bow Wow Wow! sean

Not until they start paying decent royalties there won't. tahir

Not until they start paying decent royalties there won't.

A little bit of a lot is better than all of nothing. I was always amazed by EMIs stubborn refusal to embrace the download age, unfortunately they are now extinct.

I agree artists should get paid, but they'll never get paid if they don't get played
sean

Sure but a lot of a bit can be better than a bit of a lot. It needs movement on both sides I think. tahir

It needs movement on both sides I think.

Yup, hope this happens soon, otherwise you'll be led down particular alleys depending on the service you subscribe to, not appealing.
sean

That's why I still buy CDs and listen to the wireless. Wink tahir

That's why I still buy CDs and listen to the wireless. Wink

And your only child has reverted tio vinyl...
sgt.colon

As long as they turn their Wi-Fi off whilst they are playing then all is well.

This is the same kids that don't turn off the telly, lights, put a new bog rol on....

Oh. Ha! Kids eh! Rolling Eyes

I just went back to buying CD's. They are on the shelf for the whole family to listen to and there are never any tracks missing.

A universal streaming service would be good but I doubt it will ever happen.
sean

It's the future. All this streaming stuff is just a hiccup.
dpack

No Otway & Barrett, or Bow Wow Wow!

the first part of that is a void in any catalog
12Bore

It's the future. All this streaming stuff is just a hiccup.
thumbright
tahir

Went with spotify, really like it, lots of useful ways to search; did you know there over 100 cover versions of lo e will tear us apart? Nick

That would put me off for a start. Found an unopened copy of Unknown Pleasures last night. sean

Went with spotify, really like it, lots of useful ways to search; did you know there over 100 cover versions of lo e will tear us apart?

But the only one you need is June Tabor & The Oysterband.
tahir

Went with spotify, really like it, lots of useful ways to search; did you know there over 100 cover versions of lo e will tear us apart?

But the only one you need is June Tabor & The Oysterband.

Yup but I'd never heard it before
sean

You could have asked.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home