Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
tahir

Strimmers

In a fit of panic a couple of weeks ago I got my brother to buy me a petrol strimmer (things just weren't getting done), I've since realised that I could have got a 4 stroke Honda one rather than the 2 stroke Robin that I ended up with (fiddly mixing small amounts of 2stroke)

BUT it appears that I can add hedge trimmer and pruning attachments to it, anyone tried any of these things? Am I better buying a separate hedge trimmer?

The attachments are right at the bottom of this page:

http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/acatalog/Fuji_Robin_Brushcutters.html
Jb

I've looked at those in the past but always thought that the alternative attachments either looked too flimsy or too heavy to be usable as an alternative head on a strimmer. I could be wrong but that's the impression I get.
tahir

JB wrote:
I've looked at those in the past but always thought that the alternative attachments either looked too flimsy or too heavy to usable as an alternative head on a strimmer.

That's my worry too, but a petrol hedgetrimmer is a fair bit of dosh.
gil

When you eventually replace your strimmer, I'd recommend a 4-stroke Honda with a brushcutter attachment.

I've never rated the sturdiness of smaller strimmers' hedgetrimmer or other attachments much either...
Bernie66

Ryobi do a similar bit of kit which you can purchase attachments for..You choose the grad spec of the original strimmer/brushcutter and then the add on's will perform to the spec of the original

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/brush-cutter-trimmer.asp?partner=gr
Has several and some attachments.
High Green Farm

We are about to replace the completely crap McCulloch that I bought a few years ago on a very limited budget. Not enough power and have spent more on repairs than it cost.

I'm going for a Stihl unit with a strimmer head but also will get a hedgecutter attachment at some stage. My FIL has one, and thinks it is great.
oddballdave

Re: Strimmers

tahir wrote:
I could have got a 4 stroke Honda one rather than the 2 stroke Robin that I ended up with (fiddly mixing small amounts of 2stroke)

I have a one litre plastic bottle from DIY store, has the mix measurements already etched on the side. With a standard 5 litre can of petrol, means that I can make up a litre of mix very easily and since my tank only holds litre and a half it makes the mixing a touch easier.

Dave
pricey

We use the attachments on site all the time due to us not being allowed to use stepladders etc.. and they work perfectly fine.
tahir

Re: Strimmers

oddballdave wrote:
I have a one litre plastic bottle from DIY store, has the mix measurements already etched on the side.

Thats what I need.
tahir

pricey wrote:
We use the attachments on site all the time

What make, prolly a bit more commercial than mine?
dpack

power tools are ok but be careful Wink
High Green Farm

I now am the proud owner of a Stihl brushcutter, and very happy with it. So much more powerful than the McCulloch. I have flown through all the areas that I would have struggled with before, and a two year warranty to boot.
tahir

Got a hire one in whilst waiting for a spare on mine (lost the spring), it was much more powerful than mine. Should have took my time and looked around before buying Sad
gil

tahir wrote:
Got a hire one in whilst waiting for a spare on mine (lost the spring), it was much more powerful than mine. Should have took my time and looked around before buying Sad

What kind did you hire ? Can be a good way to try out before committing what can be substantial funds for heavy-duty working gear (and not souped-up kit for gardens).

I have a strong suspicion that my feller has bought me a scythe for my birthday. If so, will report back comparing its performance with the high-spec Honda 4-stroke I usually use.
tahir

Just whatever they sent, I'd never heard of the make before, it was a lot noisier and heavier than mine. Hugely thirsty too.

When you say feller, do you mean as in tree feller?
gil

tahir wrote:

Laughing
One is usually sufficient.
Nanny

we have a stihl, bought it second hand from a guy at work and it's really good....mr nanny has trimmed back the hedge with it actually and it worked fine....we have th brush cutter attachment but i think he found that difficult to use

as a petrol stimmer it is superb and not too heavy that i can't use it though i find it awkward

just can't get the right angle of swing
pricey

gil wrote:
tahir wrote:

Laughing
One is usually sufficient.

Laughing Just got that one, very good Laughing Laughing
judith

Nanny wrote:
just can't get the right angle of swing

I've got the same problem - I think I am just too short for the length of the strimmer. Anyone know where I can buy a pair of stack-heeled steel toe cap wellies?
Bernie66

You can get electric strimmers with collapsable handles which can be adjusted for different heights people now..
Anders

Try a scythe.
tahir

Anders wrote:
Try a scythe.

I'm seriously thinking about it, the petrol ones use so much sodding petrol.
judith

tahir wrote:
I'm seriously thinking about it, the petrol ones use so much sodding petrol.

How much are you getting through?
tahir

judith wrote:
How much are you getting through?

They don't last more than 30mins on a full tank. I've asked my mum to get a small hand held scythe from pakistan for me (they're called daati's). By the time you've faffed around mixing the petrol, starting the buggery thing, stopping to get the grass out of the head and whatever I think a hand operated method has got to be better.

And scythes are so much quieter too...
tahir

tahir wrote:
I've asked my mum to get a small hand held scythe from pakistan for me (they're called daati's)

Just rung her, it turned up saturday so I'll pick it up off her tomorrow. Should be just the ticket for cutting down vegetation round trees, fence posts etc.
judith

Laughing
Have you bought a mixing bottle yet?
A litre bottle will last me about six hours, but I can't do more than a couple of hours strimming on one go as I get back ache 'cos I'm too short.
I can start the buggery thing though Razz
tahir

6 hrs strimming! Why? There has to be a better way Judith.
tahir

judith wrote:
Have you bought a mixing bottle yet?

Nope, I had a spare petrol can so I mixed up 5 litres.
judith

tahir wrote:
Why?

'Cos I've got two chickens who are hiding their eggs and I was determined to find them.
judith

tahir wrote:
Nope, I had a spare petrol can so I mixed up 5 litres.

I was told not to mix too much up at one go unless you are sure you will use it up. The petrol gradually evaporates and the mix becomes too claggy.
Nick

tahir wrote:
tahir wrote:
I've asked my mum to get a small hand held scythe from pakistan for me (they're called daati's)

Just rung her, it turned up saturday so I'll pick it up off her tomorrow. Should be just the ticket for cutting down vegetation round trees, fence posts etc.

Bah, that'll have used 8,000 gallons of kerosene so far.
tahir

judith wrote:
tahir wrote:
Why?

'Cos I've got two chickens who are hiding their eggs and I was determined to find them.

Won't the strimmer break the eggs?
tahir

nickhowe wrote:
Bah, that'll have used 8,000 gallons of kerosene so far.

But if I use it till I'm 653 yrs old it'll have more than made up for the initial CO2 hit.
judith

Not if you hold it above ground level, thus further exacerbating the sore back.
tahir

One of my nephews just popped the daati into work, just realised it's made for r/handers, the missus is l/handed Rolling Eyes

Oh well, spose I'll have to do summat meself then Laughing
Northern_Lad

tahir wrote:
One of my nephews just popped the daati into work, just realised it's made for r/handers, the missus is l/handed Rolling Eyes

Oh well, spose I'll have to do summat meself then Laughing

Don't do it. For far too long these freaks have been alowed to live in decent society; they have to learn to use the correct hand at some point.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home