Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Mary-Jane

String bags...

...anyone know where I can get right-on, pc, eco-friendly ones that don't cost the earth? Or indeed whether it's possible to make them fairly easily?
Bernie66

http://www.naturalcollection.com/natural-products/String-Bag.asp

Maybe
Bernie66

http://www.terramar.co.uk/online-store/product/string-shopper/

Maybe
marigold

I've got a half-written article on how to crochet your own string bag - wanna challenge me to finish it?? Or be my "recipe tester"?
Bernie66

I challenge you to finish it............................ Laughing
Sarah D

I've just cast this one off in the kitchen about an hour ago - knitted in a thick 8 ply cotton - part of my ongoing attempts to reduce my stash Laughing It's knitted in the round on circular needles, the cotton I bought on LETS. It's quite a good size, and strong, just needs the bottom sewn up - that would be handy Laughing It's based on a French market bag I knitted a couple of years ago from a pattern on the internet.



Let me know if you would like the instructions, or I can knit for you in your choice of size/colour.
Mary-Jane

marigold wrote:
...be my "recipe tester"?


Oooh, ooh - Miss (thrusting hand in the air) may I be your tester pleeeze Miss, please miss?
Mary-Jane

Sarah D wrote:
Let me know if you would like the instructions, or I can knit for you in your choice of size/colour.


May I try both please? How much do you charge per bag?
Sarah D

Absolutely no idea................. Laughing Laughing

Tell me the size you would like and I'll get one done for you and you can see what you think. Remember not to think too big, because by the time it's full of heavy things like potatoes or library books, it can droop a bit groundwards Laughing

Looking forward to the crochet instructions too, will give that a go.

I have a large stash.............. Laughing
marigold

Mary-Jane wrote:
marigold wrote:
...be my "recipe tester"?


Oooh, ooh - Miss (thrusting hand in the air) may I be your tester pleeeze Miss, please miss?


Now I'll have to finish it - and while feeling that Sarah D's bag looks MUCH better than mine Crying or Very sad . Will aim to PM first draft recipe within 7 days - don't let me weasle out of it Laughing .
mochyn

That reminds me, time to turn the plastic carrier stash into knitted bags.
Mary-Jane

mochyn wrote:
That reminds me, time to turn the plastic carrier stash into knitted bags.


Do you have a magic wand then Professor McGonna-goal. Wink
Bernie66

Mary-Jane wrote:
mochyn wrote:
That reminds me, time to turn the plastic carrier stash into knitted bags.


Do you have a magic wand then Professor McGonna-goal. Wink


http://www.bagbed.com/

Keep thinking, you never know
Bugs

Here are two recipes I noted down for that unlikely day when there's a fine flush of round tuits:

http://tiajudy.com/stringbag.htm
http://www.frugalhaus.com/homepage/freepat.htm

Or netting...
http://www.wampumkeeper.com/netstringbag.html
Perhaps in my next life.
Fee

Bernie66 wrote:


http://www.bagbed.com/

Keep thinking, you never know


Oooh, I'm liking that! Might have to give it a try Very Happy
Bernie66

Bugs wrote:
round tuits:



Love that expression Laughing
marigold

Bernie66 wrote:
I challenge you to finish it............................ Laughing


'Tis done and on its way to M-J Very Happy .

If anyone else wants a crocheted string bag recipe please let me know.
Lozzie

Blimey. This could be my new avatar Rolling Eyes



**waving at Bugs**
Bernie66

Laughing
Mary-Jane

marigold wrote:
'Tis done and on its way to M-J Very Happy .


Marigold - how big is the attachment? I only ask because I seem to be having some trouble downloading it...in that it won't!
marigold

Mary-Jane wrote:
marigold wrote:
'Tis done and on its way to M-J Very Happy .


Marigold - how big is the attachment? I only ask because I seem to be having some trouble downloading it...in that it won't!


32kb according to my computer, 28kb according to downsizer Very Happy . I've just downloaded it from my delivered box OK.
lynn

marigold wrote:
Bernie66 wrote:
I challenge you to finish it............................ Laughing


'Tis done and on its way to M-J Very Happy .

If anyone else wants a crocheted string bag recipe please let me know.


Yes please. What is the best type of material to use? I don't have a stash but I know of several people I can make one for for Christmas. Thanks
Mary-Jane

marigold wrote:
32kb according to my computer, 28kb according to downsizer Very Happy . I've just downloaded it from my delivered box OK.


Hmmm...I'll have another go. Or wait for Gervase to come in and get him to do it.
Sarah D

I'd like your recipe please, to have a go. Thanks. Very Happy
Sarah D

Bugs wrote:
Here are two recipes I noted down for that unlikely day when there's a fine flush of round tuits:

http://tiajudy.com/stringbag.htm
http://www.frugalhaus.com/homepage/freepat.htm

Or netting...
http://www.wampumkeeper.com/netstringbag.html
Perhaps in my next life.


I have made the one in the frugalhaus pattern , it's a nice pattern. The bluey-grey one pictured above is based on that, but bigger and a different stitch. I used their method for making the integral handles, which are very strong.
marigold

Mary-Jane wrote:
marigold wrote:
32kb according to my computer, 28kb according to downsizer Very Happy . I've just downloaded it from my delivered box OK.


Hmmm...I'll have another go. Or wait for Gervase to come in and get him to do it.


Have you got it sorted now M-J?
Sarah D

Got mine this morning, thanks Marigold. Will have a go tomorrow. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Array Home Array Home Array