Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
jema

Stripped my last elderberries of the year

Well maybe not, there are still a lot looking like they will get riper and more tempting round here Wink

But last year when I got back into wine making, I ended up with 15 gallons on. Which was very easy to do, as I was gainfully unemployed, with a distinct creative block on what to do next work wise Sad

This year, I seem to be spinning an awful lot of plates Smile and I was not sure I'd manage. But I have just thrown 20lb in the boiler to take the total to 15 gallons for the year again Cool

Maybe I'll try some experimental 1 gallon batches, with whatever I am still tempted to pick Smile
sally_in_wales

What about a final gallon of spiced elderberry mead (or is that strictly a melomel?), anyway, use some nice warming spices and a jar of honey to fortify the batch, for a slightly different effect??
cab

sally_in_wales wrote:
What about a final gallon of spiced elderberry mead (or is that strictly a melomel?),

Strictly, yes, I believe so. Although if it's also spiced isn't it a metheglin? There seem to be dozens of names for mead variants.

Quote:

anyway, use some nice warming spices and a jar of honey to fortify the batch, for a slightly different effect??

Listen to Sally. She's speaking sense!

Use 2 1/2 - 3lb of honey per gallon rather than sugar, and flavour with allspice, mace, cinnamon and cloves. Boil them in a spice bag for a while (minutes) as you boil up the honey in the water to get the scum off.
sally_in_wales

cab wrote:

Shhh, people will expect me to talk sense more often if you say that Laughing
cab

sally_in_wales wrote:
cab wrote:

Shhh, people will expect me to talk sense more often if you say that Laughing

Oops... Sorry...

Jema! Ignore Sally! She knows not of what she speaks!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home