Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Nick

Stripping

I've got six aluminium garden chairs and the paint is peeling and the wrong colour. I'm not going to spend three years with a wire brush, even on a power drill. Is there something. Nasty and chemical I can use?

Or is shot blasting possible?
sean

Nitromors?
Treacodactyl

Pressure washer with a high power dirt-blasting lance might do it, it'll take paint off an outside wall, flesh off a hand etc.
Nick

We have no mains water so pressure washing is a non starter, domestically.
mousjoos

If it's not acrylic paint ie "ordinary gloss etc" caustic flake, wallpaper paste mixed, & then wrapped with cling film
Treacodactyl

I think many can be used from something like a water butt.
vegplot

Send them off to a bead blaster.
Cathryn

Pressure washers work here, we are not on the mains and have very low water pressure.

(Argos ones have a lifetime guarantee.)
Nick

Ooh, then they have changed. We borrowed one, and it was a dead loss.

I shall investigate shot blasting and hiring a pressure washer.
Ty Gwyn

If you ever pass this way on your travel`s i could lend you a pressure washer,work`s fine sucking from a water butt,looks ancient compared to today`s jobies,its in a barrow frame ,ex dairy farm,
Just count the number of leg`s on chairs before using,lol,its a 12-15 l per min.
Nick

That's very kind, thank you. I may well make use of that. Smile Hairyloon

I think the caustic options would eat the chairs. mousjoos

I think the caustic options would eat the chairs.

Possibly, but the cling film keeps the mixture moist which means it works quicker...also means you see the mix changing colour as it eats the paint.
The paint / stripper mix comes off with the film so minimises the washing process

A test patch is always the best idea
dpack

If it's not acrylic paint ie "ordinary gloss etc" caustic flake, wallpaper paste mixed, & then wrapped with cling film

yep,i did a very crusty fireplace recently and the paste and caustic method was by far the cheapest and easiest ,smear it on wait an hour scrape and wash.repeat if necessary in crevices etc
Nick

By caustic, you mean sodium hydroxide? mousjoos

I'm not a chemist but caustic flake or caustic soda....powdery or flakey stuff Hairyloon

By caustic, you mean sodium hydroxide?
That is what they use to strip doors, etc: a big bath of the stuff.
I have assumed that paint strippers have a similar active ingredient.
mousjoos

By caustic, you mean sodium hydroxide?
That is what they use to strip doors, etc: a big bath of the stuff.
I have assumed that paint strippers have a similar active ingredient.

Depending on the type of paint & the object to be stripped ie a door gets dunked in a bath of hot caustic solution...that's normally the powdery/granular stuff
If you're stripping paint from beams, stairs, or the front of a building, the powder or flake is mixed with another ingredient the name of which escapes me, in order to make it thixotropic
Hairyloon

The details are not relevant to how fast it eats aluminium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdRrZH3M5O0
vegplot

The details are not relevant to how fast it eats aluminium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdRrZH3M5O0

Hot caustic will attack aluminium with greater vigour than the paint.
dpack

oops i hadnt noticed the chairs were ali,caustic will eat them .

nitromors is expensive and vile to use so sand blast seems a good option.

iirc the kit can be hired for stone cleaning or a firm that does fancy sand blasted frosted glass might do em for a fee
mousjoos

Even if the chairs are ali, firstly the caustic paste option is cold; & as mentioned previously, a test patch is always the best idea

I worked for the manufacturer of this stuff & it works very well if care is taken
The "strength" of the paste can be regulated...

Try a test patch for 5 minutes & you will see if the paint blisters or not
Nick

Well. Caustic works but only removes the top layer which looks like plain emulsion. The original paint is much harder to shift but painting over will solve that.

Nitromors also worked but carries with it a price tag of three million pounds.

Nitromors leaves them shiny like new cast aluminium but hydroxide goes dull grey.

I'm going to get a price for shot blasting.

I have six to do and each is a back, seat and four legs. A seat and a back have taken an hour or two and aren't very good.

The chairs were a fiver each from a cafe but very handy in the new garden, surrounded by creeping thyme and palm trees.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Nick

£60 to strip them all, £90 to strip and powder coat. Do I assume this is essentially 'priming' them, ready for me to paint as required? Behemoth

I thought powder coat would be in the finish/colour you desire. The powder is applied electrostatically and then chairs are backed for the finish to set IIRC. Seems a good price to save time and effort, and achieve a quality finish. mousjoos

Yep powder coating is generally the finished product done to the desired colour Shan

£60 to strip them all, £90 to strip and powder coat. Do I assume this is essentially 'priming' them, ready for me to paint as required?

I'd go for it if I were you.

Alternatively, use Langlow Strip Away Pro.
dpack

thirded on the strip and powder coat

seems a bargain especially if you can choose the colour/s
Nick

Hm. Strikes me as a deal. Just need to convince her that the colours he has on offer are fine. Wonder if he has one of those Dulux machines that makes every shade under the sun. dpack

i dought it in powder coat but there are quite a few shades tahir

Look online for a ral colour chart Nick

Have seen. Have hope. Shan

I have a ral colour chart if you want it. Nick

Thanks, but I think the answer is to go visit the bloke and have a chat. Shan

Probably. Laughing Mistress Rose

The caustic soda will leave a layer of alumina on the surface. This will need to be removed before any other work is done. Hope the shot blasting and powder coating goes well, as it seems the best answer.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home