Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
sean

Stupid user unfriendly rubbish...

What's the point in letting you install something, then telling you you can't use it? Surely it can't be beyond the wit of man to tell you it won't work right at the beginning. Rolling Eyes
jema

What is the point of a long file copy and paste operation that will wait 20 minutes before spotting a duplicate file conflict, and then sit there with a prompt whihc you won't see for ages as you had left it to get on with it.

jema
sean

Fortunately mine was a Thomas the Tank Engine CD-ROM, so not all that critical, but still annoying.
bagpuss

jema wrote:
What is the point of a long file copy and paste operation that will wait 20 minutes before spotting a duplicate file conflict, and then sit there with a prompt whihc you won't see for ages as you had left it to get on with it.

jema

that is was -f is for to just blat straight over these things without asking (in unix/linux of course)

as far as the install goes thats bad software design any install should check system reqs as soon as possible and stop not after lots of things have already been done. Doesnt stop it being terribly irriating though
jema

bagpuss wrote:
jema wrote:

jema

that is was -f is for to just blat straight over these things without asking (in unix/linux of course)

as far as the install goes thats bad software design any install should check system reqs as soon as possible and stop not after lots of things have already been done. Doesnt stop it being terribly irriating though

A lot of the problem with installers is that they are a project in themselves and the popular installer installshield at least up until V5 which is what I have, is actually pretty crap.

jema
bagpuss

yep that is often the problem with bits of software which no one really wants to write or doesn't have the time to write a 3rd party software has to be used and in the end it doesn't really do what you want it too
High Green Farm

Got the same problem with a Balamory CD that I bought for my daughters for Christmas. It seemed to work the first time I used it, now it won't run the main application file (Macromedia .exe file I think)
sean

Ours works on everything except my wife's laptop, which says you can't use it because you installed SP2. Confused
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home