Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Aardvaak

Sugar Beet

I have acquired some sugar beet strait from the ground,

Are the any uses I can put these to ie an easy way to process or cook or something?
bubble

I think in Spain its used as a root veg.After all it is a member of the perpetual spinach family.I personally have used the leaves like spinach.
Nicky cigreen

you can make wine out of it.. i think...
Aardvaak

Thank you for your replies
Treacodactyl

There's some details here: http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Beta+vulgaris+altissima

You can make wine from the juice although I don't know anyone who has. I'd like to have a go one day and also to try and make some sugar.
jamanda

When I was a child we would pull it out of the field, hack lumps off with our penknives and eat it raw. Or at least chew it up to get the sweetness out and spit it out. But we were feral Laughing
sean

I suspect that making wine from it is probably a bit like making parsnip wine. Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.
Treacodactyl

Funnily enough, when I google sugar beet wine the first choice it comes up with is a parsnip wine recipe and says "For sugar beet wine substitute sugar beet for parsnips".
Nicky cigreen

thres instructions in seymours book on how to make sugar from it. Himself wanted to have a go.. so we sowed seeds. slugs ate all the seedlings (along with the swede seedlings), so.. that was that.
cab

Re: Sugar Beet

Aardvaak wrote:
I have acquired some sugar beet strait from the ground,

Are the any uses I can put these to ie an easy way to process or cook or something?

In my opinion the best thing you can do is put it back in the ground, wait till Spring, and eat the young green leaves that'll shoot up.
woodsprite

Quote:
When I was a child we would pull it out of the field, hack lumps off with our penknives and eat it raw. Or at least chew it up to get the sweetness out and spit it out. But we were feral

We used to do this too and my boys did when they were younger. They used to spend whole days out in the fields without coming home for lunch and whenever I asked if they'd got hungry they'd list the foraged food that they'd eaten. Very Happy
Rob R

Treacodactyl wrote:
You can make wine from the juice although I don't know anyone who has.

Yes you do: It made a very strong dry wine, not the best so I just fed it to the stock after that.
mark

sean wrote:
I suspect that making wine from it is probably a bit like making parsnip wine. Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

have you had disappointing results with parsnip wine!

During the the legendary great bumper Parsnip harvest of 3 years ago ,,,I made gallons upon gallons of parsnip wine

(my way its one of those amazing double use wines - you boil the parsnips - use the juice to make wine - freeze the cooked parsnip and fry or roast for food later..

That particular batch of parsnip wine was on of the best and most popular wines i ever made. Sadly it has all gone now !!But is fixed in memmory for perpetuity.

As well as the parsnips from memory i think i also included raisins, some banana, some tea, and.

Apart from a couple of gallons i made a bi sweeter the vast majority was a nice dry wine with a hint of the flavour of the more quality dry sherries - but not quite as strongly sherry like (which i found very agreeablee and refreshing)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home