Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
gil

Suggestion for another forum/topic area maybe at some point

If we ever rejig the forums and have space going spare on DS, it strikes me that one for

Weather and Nature
might be useful, because we talk about these things quite a lot. But usually in Chat, where they get lost.

Whether it's alerting people to frosts or extreme weather warnings, or a thread where we talk about rain, storms, high winds etc.

'Nature' not necessarily to include forageable plants, but topics like when swallows arrive / depart; complaining about clegs/horseflies; insects; birds; wild flowers, etc etc. Fostering hedgehogs.... sightings of whatever.... nesting ospreys....

I'm sure Downsizers will know the kind of thing I mean.
Anyway, just flagging a possibility for the future. If folk think it useful.
Jamanda

Yes. I can see that those could be of interest, but I think we'd need to lose or combine some existing ones. Having too many fragmented sections is a pain too.
gil

That's what I meant, as I know we have all the different ones now, and there isn't really space or justification for yet another forum on DS at the moment. Something else would have to go/amalgamate.

And who's to say that 'Weather and Nature' would be what people wanted ?

But the thought crossed my mind, so rather than forget, I thought I'd record it.
Penny Outskirts

That's a great idea.. think I might contribute quite a bit though Embarassed

What about Nature, Weather and Natural Phenomenemenoemem, or something, so we take in earthquakes and volcanoes too Smile
Jamanda

What about Nature, Weather and Natural Phenomenemenoemem, or something, so we take in earthquakes and volcanoes too Smile

Yep. I do like this idea. We have baby adders at the moment. They could go in. Very Happy
Penny Outskirts

Yep. I do like this idea. We have baby adders at the moment. They could go in. Very Happy

Oooo, we need to see pictures of them Smile Ospreys have mostly gone now, but it's coming towards hedgehog season
sean

We could just retitle/change the blurb on conservation and the environment? Most of that stuff seems to fall naturally in there to me. Penny Outskirts

Don't think it does entirely, Conservation probably needs it's own jobby Jamanda

Mmm. it's "and the environment". Maybe the name could be expanded. It would be a better place for such things than "chat" which is where they end up now anyway. Treacodactyl

We could also do with a section on transport, all bike related questions also go into chat these days along with questions on cars etc. Jamanda

We could also do with a section on transport, all bike related questions also go into chat these days along with questions on cars etc.

Where did they go previously ?
12Bore

Phenomenemenoemem
Do, Do,Do Do, Do... thanks, now I have the Muppet theme stick in my head Laughing
gil

Conservation and Environment probably fit quite well with Land Management, as in 'planned things we do to the natural world', and a kind of 'bigger picture' or overall view/issues.

Weather and Nature : I'm thinking more the local / individual small observations; also the natural world as it occurs without us doing much stuff to it (other than maybe bat boxes, or bird feeders).

It would be a place where our DS nature photographers could post their pics.

Doesn;t mean we couldn;t have a forum that included all these things : Conservation, Environment, Weather, Nature Notes, Land Management.
earthyvirgo

I'd quite like to see Small Business Chat slightly amended to Small Business questions, ideas and advice.

I've had some great help, hints, links to websites for products and ideas from various sources and I think removing the 'chat' might get people to use this section more.

EV
sean

I'd quite like to see Small Business Chat slightly amended to Small Business questions, ideas and advice.

Done.
Cool
Tavascarow

Definitely lump conservation & environment in with nature & weather IMHO.
It gets little traffic as it is & is one & the same.
No reason why pretty pictures & encounters with nature should be separate from the troubles it faces & what we can do to help it.
Treacodactyl

We could also do with a section on transport, all bike related questions also go into chat these days along with questions on cars etc.

Where did they go previously ?

The Energy Efficiency one, before it was merged IIRC.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home