Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
bagpuss

Suggestions box

This is a thread for people to make suggestions about site contents or organization
Gervase

A few thoughts:
1) Does 'Seasonal Shopping' warrant its own sub-forum?
2) how about culling some of the stickies? Some are way out of date and simply clutter up the top of sub-forums.
3) Identify mods under their avatar box.
4) Mods to reply to questions where legally possible and to acknowledge PMs.
cab

1. Merge this with Netties thread in 'does it really matter'.

2. Errm... just this second thats about it Smile
Treacodactyl

Gervase wrote:
2) how about culling some of the stickies? Some are way out of date and simply clutter up the top of sub-forums.

We did that not long ago, anything in particular you think needs to be unstickied?
Brownbear

Adopt Dr. Rob's suggestions for dealing with alleged transgressors.
Gervase

The producers register in the 'Poutlry' section. It's mainly about lamb, pork and beef, and ideally should be somewhere else.
The various fungi guidelines at the top of the 'Foragaing' section could be collated and combined.
'Are you really angry about something' in 'Does it really matter'
'Change of tile' in community etc
'downsizer atlas' in downsizing abroad.
'downsizer needs you', 'policy statement' merged with 'insults' in chat
'Christmas hamper' in seasonal stuff
Barefoot Andrew

Stickies suggestions - will have a look later on.
A.
Brownbear

Brownbear wrote:

**Ahem**

Does that suggestion not even merit a response of 'get stuffed'?

Dr. Rob's idea seemed rather a good suggestion to me, worthy at least of consideration.
bagpuss

Brownbear wrote:
Brownbear wrote:

**Ahem**

Dr. Rob's idea seemed rather a good suggestion to me, worthy at least of consideration.

Dr Rob's suggestions do have merit and will be considered but not all of it can successfully implemented by volunteers so it is unlikely to look exactly as he has suggested. We are taking this comment onboard
Slim

I also liked Dr. Rob's suggestions
Brownbear

bagpuss wrote:
Brownbear wrote:
Brownbear wrote:

**Ahem**

Dr Rob's suggestions do have merit and will be considered but not all of it can successfully implemented by volunteers so it is unlikely to look exactly as he has suggested. We are taking this comments onboard

Many thanks for your response. I might suggest that it is an idea worth considering, that the membership has a chance to vote for two or three 'tribune of the plebs' figures every few months, who would play some part in the process of dealing with complaints.

Such people wonldn't need to be moderators but could have some sort of oversight of, and input to, setting policy.
Mary-Jane

Slim wrote:
I also liked Dr. Rob's suggestions

I just like Dr. Rob...and his brown paper twists stuffed with forthwiths and notwithstandings in his tweed jacket pocket. Very useful indeed.
vegplot

Ability to filter threads you've participated in.
Barefoot Andrew

vegplot wrote:

The "My Topics" button on the LH side any good?
A.
sean

How do you mean? There's a My Topics function which lets you bookmark threads and you can tick the 'Notify me when a reply is posted' box if you want to know when someone else has replied.
bernie-woman

The traders section which is accessed from the front page on the right hand side desperately needs getting rid of or updating - many of the members offering products and/or services are not members on the site any more and may not be offering these services anymore and I personally find it confusing to have a separate list for those with banners and those without banners - may I suggest that many of the links and details in this section could go under a general section of useful bits and bobs and those that are trading go in a section where you can find all downsizer traders, banner or not of - equally, underneath are listed 'latest traders' - the traders listed are not the latest by any means

Very Happy
vegplot

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
vegplot wrote:

A.

Partially useful but not entirely
Barefoot Andrew

@ bernie-woman - ta - will investimagate.
A.
Jamanda

bernie-woman wrote:
The traders section which is accessed from the front page on the right hand side desperately needs getting rid of or updating - many of the members offering products and/or services are not members on the site any more and may not be offering these services anymore and I personally find it confusing to have a separate list for those with banners and those without banners - may I suggest that many of the links and details in this section could go under a general section of useful bits and bobs and those that are trading go in a section where you can find all downsizer traders, banner or not of - equally, underneath are listed 'latest traders' - the traders listed are not the latest by any means

Very Happy

I'm on to that one. I need to try and contact a few folk - then there will be a cull.
bernie-woman

Sorry, on a bit of a roll now - the About Us section at the top right hand corner (when you are looking at the forum) includes a section about how to contact people at downsizer but doesn't mention anything about contacting the mods - in light of all of the current discussion may I suggest that the current list of mods goes in there and how to contact them - also no mention of how to complain/contact a mod in the FAQs tab at the top of the page Very Happy
bagpuss

bernie-woman wrote:
Sorry, on a bit of a roll now - the About Us section at the top right hand corner (when you are looking at the forum) includes a section about how to contact people at downsizer but doesn't mention anything about contacting the mods - in light of all of the current discussion may I suggest that the current list of mods goes in there and how to contact them - also no mention of how to complain/contact a mod in the FAQs tab at the top of the page Very Happy

Good plan, we should look into it asap
vegplot

vegplot wrote:
Barefoot Andrew wrote:
vegplot wrote:

A.

Sorry, rushed response.

The 'My Topics' button only display topics not threads you participated in. I ask this because there are instances where it's very useful to be able to list the active threads you recently participated in. If that makes sense.
Barefoot Andrew

Surely it does Confused From my topics list I can see I'm active in 238 recipe threads, I click on that and it confirms that the soup thread is one of them.
A.
Midland Spinner

In your profile you can find a list of all the posts you've made (search all user's posts).
If you've said a lot recently that might take a bit of searching through, but it does limit the list to posts you've actually made.

(I usually get to my profile by going to who's online) I expect there are elegant techie ways to do it, but that seems to work
bagpuss

vegplot wrote:
vegplot wrote:
Barefoot Andrew wrote:
vegplot wrote:

A.

Sorry, rushed response.

The 'My Topics' button only display topics not threads you participated in. I ask this because there are instances where it's very useful to be able to list the active threads you recently participated in. If that makes sense.

The find all posts by button in your profile should do this for you

find all posts by vegplot

This is sorted with the most recent first
bagpuss

Midland Spinner wrote:

(I usually get to my profile by going to who's online) I expect there are elegant techie ways to do it, but that seems to work

There is a big button labelled profile in the lefthand menu Smile
Midland Spinner

Cross posted! But Bagpuss put it more succintly and with a linky! Wink
vegplot

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Surely it does Confused From my topics list I can see I'm active in 238 recipe threads, I click on that and it confirms that the soup thread is one of them.
A.

No it doesn't. For instance, this tread doesn't show as being active.
vegplot

bagpuss wrote:
The find all posts by button in your profile should do this for you

find all posts by vegplot

This is sorted with the most recent first

I must be blind. No such button in 'My Profile'

Edit: I see what you mean. Perhaps the link/button could be in 'My Profile' as well as the public profile or perhaps on the page itself.
Barefoot Andrew

vegplot wrote:
No it doesn't. For instance, this tread doesn't show as being active.

We must be looking at different things Confused It does for me.
A.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home