Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Treacodactyl

Suma - online ordering service launched

Those of you who use Suma will be interested to hear they've now launched an Online Ordering Service: www.sumawholesale.co.uk

Should make our regular orders even easier to do. Very Happy
Behemoth

At last.
tahir

About blinking time.
lottie

The Suma driver got stuck in the lanes here on our last delivery---we did tell him it was a rubbish road that way and he needed to turn round in the farmyard at the top of the lane instead----so they may refuse to deliver again Sad
tahir

lottie wrote:
The Suma driver got stuck in the lanes here on our last delivery---we did tell him it was a rubbish road that way and he needed to turn round in the farmyard at the top of the lane instead----so they may refuse to deliver again Sad

We had one that gotr funny about delivering to us, had to speak to Mac to get it resolved.
Fee

Can a normal Joanna Bloggs get an account and order, or would it need to be in my businesses name?
Treacodactyl

We order fine from Suma and just in my OHs name.

We've never had a problem with the delivery and know our regular driver quite well, we even have his number! It is a largish lorry though (it delivers to shops and also collects goods from it's suppliers so it doesn't run empty on the return) so, understandably it might have problems in small roads. Here he parks up the road and carts stuff down. On the plus side it has a refrigerated part so we get fresh butter and cheeses.

I think you can order stuff and have it delivered by a delivery company but never tried and we wouldn't get anywhere near the service as we get direct from Suma.
nats

What are they good for?? Everything? What's cheap and what's not???
lottie

The main problem is minimum order---it's 250 here off the top of my head----if there are only 2 of you that's alot---clubbing together with others works---I buy flour oats nuts pulses dried apricots baking and cooking stuff etc in bulk and that works out cheaper. They sell bits that can be difficult to source in some places as well.
Treacodactyl

nats wrote:
What are they good for?? Everything? What's cheap and what's not???

We tend to get most of our shopping from them now, so flour, pulses, sugar, butter and cheese, cleaning stuff, tissues, tins, oil, fruit juice etc, even beer and wine in the past. It does come in bulk so you need places to store it . You can often pick up single items in shops so you can try one thing before ordering 24.

Price wise you can see the prices online now or download a catalogue to compare, but remember many items are fairtrade and/or organic so will not be the cheapest but we're happy to pay the extra and are very happy with the quality.
Cathryn

lottie wrote:
The main problem is minimum order---it's 250 here off the top of my head----if there are only 2 of you that's alot---clubbing together with others works---I buy flour oats nuts pulses dried apricots baking and cooking stuff etc in bulk and that works out cheaper. They sell bits that can be difficult to source in some places as well.

I thought that Suma wouldn't do bulk orders in this area Lottie, they never used to. I might be up for sharing an order with you at some point, is there an online list at all? (I haven't got much space so need to have a think about where stuff would fit.)
Anders

You have to log in to see the prices.

Can anyone with an account tell me how much the 25kg of Suma rye flour is, please?
sean

14.11 according to the current catalogue.
Blue Sky

Can somebody tell me how much the 12 pack of Sosmix is? (I have no log-in) Thanks.
Blue Sky

Anders wrote:

Can anyone with an account tell me how much the 25kg of Suma rye flour is, please?

You bringing a van over? Cool

We get Rye flour from the mill up the road here. About 9 euros for 10kg bag IIRC. They do 25 kilos sacs too.
sean

Catalogue says they're not doing it any more. The replacement is 6.19 for 6x150g.
Blue Sky

sean wrote:
Catalogue says they're not doing it any more. The replacement is 6.19 for 6x150g.

Strange. They must have changed the packet sizes. The boxes I have here contain 2 sachets at 175g each.
Anders

"14.11 according to the current catalogue."

That is really cheap.

f anyone in London would like to do me a favour and add 25kg of rye flour to their Suma order, let me know. I'd of course be happy to pick up.

And Simon: you have to tell me where your mill is when we finally get over to France. Hope you are all well.

Cheers,

Anders
Blue Sky

Anders wrote:

And Simon: you have to tell me where your mill is when we finally get over to France. Hope you are all well.

Fine thanks. We'll have a ride out there next time you're here.
tahir

Anders wrote:
f anyone in London would like to do me a favour and add 25kg of rye flour to their Suma order, let me know. I'd of course be happy to pick up.

I'll do it, no idea when our next order is though.
Anders

Nice one, Tahir. Let me know when you are ordering and I'll bring you the money.

We are still eating the chillies from the plants you gave us. I've moved the best plants into the allotment greenhouse now. Going to try and grow them bigger next year.

Anders
tahir

Have you dried any?
Anders

No, not dried. Eaten them as fast as we could, pickled some and swapped others for veg. Hope they do as well next year.
Blue Sky

My chili bins are in the greenhouse too and still struggling on. I read on here somewhere that it is possible to overwinter the plants for an early start next season. Anyone know how?
Bernie66

They will overwinter in a cool greenhouse but to be honest the overwintered ones have never given better amounts or earlier chillis than ones started at the usual time. You also run the risk of keeping any disease over the winter which would usually annually die off with the plants.
Treacodactyl

We used the service a week or so ago and the order turned up fine. Much easier than ordering over the phone and you can build your basket over a few days which we always fine useful.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home