Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Kariana

Summer Ball Courgette

Ive never grown courgettes before but this year I'm growing a Summer Ball courgette in a pot. The leaves grew well and it's put out some flowers, however when the fruit grow they get to the size of a golf ball then fall off. It's only growing 1 or 2 at a time so I don't think too many fruits are the problem.

Any idea how I can get the fruit to properly mature? The fruit seem to be growing on very upright stalks all clustered in the centre of the leaves which is not what I expected.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I was under the impression that that was about the right size for round courgettes?
Kariana

No they should be at least tennis ball size. I did cut one off yesterday just to see if they were ok to eat at golf ball size but they definitely werent ripe. Also they are a type that are supposedly good for growing on to pumpkin/marrows - no chance of that if they keep falling off!
Nick

Quote:
Compact, bushy plants produce bright-yellow, rounded fruits which can be cut early as courgettes or left to mature to larger 1kg (2lbs) summer pumpkins.
OtleyLad

Possible they are not getting pollinated?

I've several of these plants and the same thing has happened to me - maybe try hand pollination?
Kariana

I had assumed that if fruits were appearing at all that meant they were pollinating. Is that not the case? Do I just need to dab in each flower with a paintbrush to pollinate?
Piggyphile

They have male and female flowers on the same plant. Female flowers have an immature courgette behind them and male flowers are on the end of a thin stalk. A paintbrush from male to female will do it or break off a male flower and push it into the female and jiggle it a bit. Some of mine are rotting off but it has been wet here or it could be lack of pollination here as well.

Sometimes you have to wait until the plants are bigger and there are sufficient males and female flowers open at the same time to let the bees do their work.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home