Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Rob R

Supermarket Secrets

I've just watched this on iplayer, this is how they have grown to dominate our food market in the UK.
Cathryn

It was fascinating wasn't it. I must remember to watch the next one. I've always thought it would be interesting to work in one for a few months and find out how they tick.
Rob R

It was, however I started watching it in a slightly melancholy mood, and it's done nothing to improve it. They seem to have it all worked out (just don't mention horsemeat)
Hairyloon

Any chance of a synopsis?
I can't get video at the moment?
Rob R

Quote:
The four-part series – each episode focusing on a different season – looked behind the scenes at some of Britain’s food retailers and how they source, make and move the food that we find on the supermarket shelves.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10160825/Summers-Supermarket-Secrets-BBC-One-review.html

The first one, summer, included growing strawberries and developing new varieties, ripening bananas, producing new ready meals, butchering on a factory scale and no doubt something that has now slipped my mind.
Hairyloon

The first one, summer, included growing strawberries and developing new varieties, ripening bananas, producing new ready meals, butchering on a factory scale and no doubt something that has now slipped my mind.

So is it driven entirely by the love of money?
Rob R

I would have said that it's more by a combination of efficiency & giving the customers what they want, when they want it, which ultimately means they make money.
Hairyloon

I would have said that it's more by a combination of efficiency & giving the customers what they want, when they want it, which ultimately means they make money.
That's probably good then.
Mithril

Sounds interesting - thanks for the link / heads up. Rob R

I would have said that it's more by a combination of efficiency & giving the customers what they want*, when they want it, which ultimately means they make money.
That's probably good then.

*I should add, the caveat that only if it can be mass produced.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home