Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
tahir

Sustainability?

I had a discussion with the farm manager at Tiptree jams yesterday, the farm is run as a separate business from the jam making, his cost of production for jam strawbs is £xxxx per tonne, but he has to sell them at £xxx per tonne because the jam side can buy in frozen pretrimmed Chinese strawbs for £xxx per tonne.

So he loses money on his sales.

Bonkers eh?

I know which strawbs'll be going into all the fruit yogs and jams in the supermarkets....
Jonnyboy

If it's two businesses why not sell them elsewhere and make a profit?
gil

Re: Sustainability?

tahir wrote:
his cost of production for jam strawbs is £xxxx per tonne, but he has to sell them at £xxx per tonne because the jam side can buy in frozen pretrimmed Chinese strawbs for £xxx per tonne....

That's very kind of the jam business - I suppose they could have screwed him down to £xxx/tonne Evil or Very Mad

This does seem to be a problem with growing fruit and veg for processing. I haven't separated out the two sides of my business, but I suspect [no, I know] that the one subsidises the other.
tahir

Jonnyboy wrote:
If it's two businesses why not sell them elsewhere and make a profit?

They're developing that side of things, they had fresh fruit in Waitrose last year but it's a fundamental shift in what they do; fresh sales need to meet a completely different set of criteria. Also Tiptree consider that buying English fruit where possible is a key element of their persona, can't imagine there are any other jam makers that buy for more.
Green Man

Another sad example of Britain being out priced. The Chinese fruit is almost being picked by slaves. Embarassed
MarkS

Well if they only almost pick it, there wont be any for sale.
Wink

boom boom!!
tahir

Laughing
hamster

Hehehe.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home