Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Went

Swarm - what to do? Sad Update

We have a swarm on a wall near our house - no-one locally keeps bees - should we just leave them - will they find there own way to where-ever?

Complete bee numpty here Shocked
Went

Update - as I was posting this, guess where they were headed?

Our cooker hood chimney - I think we've deterred them, smoking newspaper in a pan followed by vigorously boiling vinegar fumes seems to have made them leave - the swarm on the wall is still there though so was this scouts in the chimney or.... Confused
Tavascarow

They will find a new home somewhere for sure.
If you wanted to keep them yourself you would need to put a cardboard box against the wall & directly below them & then brush them in with a stiff goose or turkey wing feather.
A bit trepidatious for a complete beginner without PPE.
X posted with your last post.
Tavascarow

I would light a very small smoky fire before they start building comb & they will move on again.
Went

Thanks - I would love to keep Bees but don't know enough about them - maybe in time.... Smile
Went

Well they have gone all but a few stragglers, I hope my chimneys are not targeted whilst I'm out... Smile
Went

Went out at 7pm to find the Bomberos (firefighters) sealing a neighbours chimney (cooker hood chimney) Neighbours had similar problem to us but on a much bigger scale.

They were visible in the cooker hood light fitting and the noise was tremendous - the swarm had been going in theirs since lunchtime. The Bomberos sealed everything and gassed the Bees Sad

and charged a couple of hundred Euros. Evil or Very Mad

!!**!*!***Ts
T.G

Sad
Treacodactyl

Better get ready with some gear and a hive for next time. Wink

Which applies equally to us, I could do with getting something ready on the off chance.
Tavascarow

I know I posted this on another thread recently but it's worth reading as a prospective beek.
Bait hives for honey bees.
Went

Thanks for the link - it is something we might work towards but Bee keeping here in Spain is tightly controlled and you need to have done a registered course, have regular inspections and the hives have to be registered and numbered - fines are high if not. You also need to apply for a licence.
Tavascarow

I don't see anything wrong with having an unoccupied box in a tree or on a wall. Wink
Would probably save the bees getting into the chimneys again.
If/when they take residence you can give them to a registered beekeeper for some honey.
Seems a shame that something our forebears took for granted like putting a couple of skeps at the bottom of the garden has now been done over by bureaucracy.
I've no problem with accountability, & minimising disease spread, but IMHO this is just another example of our right to produce our own food slowly being eroded.
Went

I don't see anything wrong with having an unoccupied box in a tree or on a wall. Wink
Would probably save the bees getting into the chimneys again.
If/when they take residence you can give them to a registered beekeeper for some honey.
Seems a shame that something our forebears took for granted like putting a couple of skeps at the bottom of the garden has now been done over by bureaucracy.
I've no problem with accountability, & minimising disease spread, but IMHO this is just another example of our right to produce our own food slowly being eroded.

I like your thinking Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home