Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
misty07

swarm...

went to sort the fences up in a small paddock ready to put a few sheep in with there lambs. on walking the fenceline i stumbled a swarm in the grass so that is now an annoyance as the 3 sick sheep we got in shelter atm we cannot put out untill its sorted. basicly they were kept by the old man we rent the land from. last year him and his wife died. so now the bloke in the bungalow at the end of the road basicly took them over with the permission and is keeping them on the property still. so now this swap of honey bees have been found we have tried to locate the said man and have found out he has not been around for a while and dosent live in the house up the road nomore . so what do we do? as we need to turn the sheep out asap and are hoping they will clear off back to the hives sooner rather than later. any advice?
Lorrainelovesplants

phone a local beekeeper to collect them. Bees swarm - they belong to the first person who collects them.
misty07

how do you go about collecting them as il be up for collecting if someone wants them
Tavascarow

If they are on the ground putting a stout cardboard box over them & leaving them to crawl up into it.
When they are all hanging from the inside of the box wrap it in a sheet & tie the ends together & it will be safe to transport.
Just be sure you have a honey bee swarm & not a bumble bee nest.
It's illegal to disturb bumble bees.
http://www.bbka.org.uk/help/do_you_have_a_swarm.php
misty07

deffo a honey bee swarm as there from just over the hedge not traveled to far i have since noticed a second swarm on a over grown fence post
Penny Outskirts

BIL has a mate who keeps lots of bees in Fairford, I'll see if he wants to come and get them.
Penny Outskirts

Matty, can you pm me your moobile number? I'll pass it on to someone in Fairford, who would like to try and get them, if that's OK?
mochasidamo

It's illegal to disturb bumble bees.
http://www.bbka.org.uk/help/do_you_have_a_swarm.php

That is simply not the case. Quite a few beekeepers perfectly legally rehome bumble bee nests where it is likely they will be destroyed for building, landscaping work etc.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home