Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
DorsetScott

Sweet Chestnuts

Another lunch hour forage and another little haul. This time I got 1kg of sweet chestnuts, as did a colleague I went with. If it wasn't wetter than wet today I'd be going back for more, but reckon I'll get a gret haul this year.
When I've got them all I'm gonna try roasted, maron glace and chestnut flour as well.

My question is does anyone know if there's a way I can store some so that I can use them to make christmas gifts? I've seen you can freeze them, but any experience on the texture etc when it's defrosted? Or any better ideas?
tahir

They'll last a couple of the weeks in the fridge no idea on longer tyerm storage. I harvested around 25kg on Sunday
sean

Blimey, you're well ahead of us then. None of the trees near us are ready.
I've used frozen ones to make stuffing in the past with reasonable success. Or you could make marrons glacees, they store more or less for ever.
tahir

Blimey, you're well ahead of us then. None of the trees near us are ready.

Bear in mind mine are fruiting cultivars, some varieties are still unripe
DorsetScott

Or you could make marrons glacees, they store more or less for ever.

Aha, that's perfect. It was marrons glacee I'd have been making for presents, had assumed they wouldn't have a huge shelf life. I assume just store in an airtight container when made?

Pretty sure I won't get close to 25kg, but hoping between 5-10. I'm chuffed with 1kg in an hours lunchbreak while dressed in office attire.
Admittedly, I'd be more chuffed if I didn't work in an office, but hey ho!
sean

Or you could make marrons glacees, they store more or less for ever.

Aha, that's perfect. It was marrons glacee I'd have been making for presents, had assumed they wouldn't have a huge shelf life. I assume just store in an airtight container when made?

Yup.
DorsetScott

Cheers Sean Jamanda

Just got a big pile of chestnuts Very Happy Will be going back for more in a couple of days, if the squiggles don't get them all first. Lorrainelovesplants

I hauled a kilo on Wednesday but dont know what to do with them. I thought something like making stuffing for Christmas but can I freeze this? Jamanda

I hauled a kilo on Wednesday but dont know what to do with them. I thought something like making stuffing for Christmas but can I freeze this?

I boiled, peeled and froze in anticipation of making stuffing for Christmas.
Woo

i have roasted peeled and frozen them before. they went well in pies etc. the texture was still the same but small bits rather than whole ones (mostly down to my peeling Embarassed )
my kids keep popping into the woods to collect them. i have so many i cant keep up! i may stick some in the wood burner now!
Nick

I hauled a kilo on Wednesday but dont know what to do with them. I thought something like making stuffing for Christmas but can I freeze this?

Yep, for sure. Yell lose dome texture, but not much else.
sean

Yell lose dome texture.

Words fail me. And you apparently.
Nick

Wow. Yeah.

You will lose some texture.

iPad keyboard is being insensitive.
Lorrainelovesplants

How long to boil for? Finsky

I use lot of mine in savoury dishes...just peeling them and chopping bit smaller and chucking in for last couple of minutes of cooking time.
They are quite like having some cashew nuts in Chinese food Very Happy
sean

How long to boil for?

Depends a bit how big they are. Simmer them for about 20 mins then try one.
Went

I quite like them fresh, peeled and raw, or roasted. Luath

If cooked and pureed, they can be frozen like that too. Sweetened on thawing, they make a good chocolate and chestnut cake. They do keep for quite a while as they are, in a cool, dark place. Lorrainelovesplants

Yuk....

full of maggots.
Yuk yuk yuk.
All now in bin!
Mafro

I've been making flour with mine. Processed about 6lb so far, and should store for a good few months. Not that I can see it lasting that long. DorsetScott

How do you do your flour Mafro? I've seen 2 methods and figured I'd experiment with both.
One involved leaving them a few weeks, and then grinding it up.
The other involved boiling, grating and then drying the grated stuff in the oven.
Mafro

Oven baked like I would for eating. Then shelled and dried. After dried they have the inner skin pealed off before being broken into smaller pieces and put through the grain mill.

I shall put a blog up later about it in more detail and post the link Smile
DorsetScott

Cheers. Look forward to reading it
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home