Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
wellington womble

Sweet potato plants

Some sweet potato plants seem to have accidentally fallen out of the garden centre and into my greenhouse. What on earth do I with them now?

(Quite a lot of chillis, peppers and brassicas also fell in. But at least they were half price and I know how to grow them!)
gardening-girl

We grew them in the poly tunnel. They are a member of the bindweed family and will run everywhere. IIRC, we grew them up wigwams.
wellington womble

My greenhouses are both slabbed, so they can go inside in pots or outside in the ground. Or some of each, I suppose. I have a spare cold frame, but it sounds as though it might need something more substantial. They do look rather like bindweed!
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I've known them survive in a yorkshire coldframe but I don't know how yields were. Ideally in a greenhouse or polytunnrel, but you'll need a bloody big container to get a decent root crop. Incidentally the leaves and young shoots are edible and relatively high protein.
wellington womble

I have 25 litre pots. Do you think they'll be big enough, or do I need to think of something else?
gardening-girl

Our pots were about 2ft across and deep. Don`t know about the size in litres.
BahamaMama

I have grown them in pots, loads of growth and attractive leaves but very little in the way of sweet potatoes at the end. They are kind of fun but I have not done it again.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home